HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 9:13 PM

Re "...between Court and First Street""... I would say it's likely--especially given the architecture--that this is a reference to a street between Court and Beverly Blvd, formerly W First. The house could have been moved from a nearby parallel street, or even from another lot on Westlake St itself.... Just a thought.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

202 N Westlake is currently between Court and West 1st...the latter now being Beverly Blvd. Don't know where the Bunker Hill idea comes from. Before the street and address changes after the annexations occuring around 1910, Westlake in this area was Quebec Street. There are various references to Thurmans on Quebec going back to 1904--including a Louis, who built 121 that year....

Thomas and Minnie Thurman, an African-American couple, were living across the street at 203 during the '20s, when, in May 1925, they built a new foundation for 202...can't tell from building permits where the house was coming from.

From the Times, June 8, 1903:

Thomas Thurman was born in Georgia in January of 1873. They appear in the 1900 census, living in Tennessee where his wife Minnie was born. Thomas was listed as a day laborer in a foundry at that time.

Louis Thurman was probably the father of Thomas. He was born in Georgia in 1841. He is living in Los Angeles by 1910. He is listed as living at 121 in the 1910 census, where he is noted to be 74 years old. Interestingly, Louis' wife was 39. Louis has an occupation as a Laborer at "anything". He died in Los Angeles in 1917 and is buried in Angelus Rosedale Cemetery.

Also in the 1910 census, Thomas was listed as being a teamster for a "Garbage Wagon". Thomas is later, after about 1930, listed as being a blacksmith for the City of Los Angeles. Thomas and his wife Minnie had at least four children.

Both Minnie and Thomas appear in voter registrations in 1922 at 203 and then thereafter from 1928 onward at 202.

When Thomas registered for the Draft for WWI he was listed as being employed by the city garbage department. They lived at 203 when he filled out his draft card.

The family came from Georgia where both Thomas and his father were born. Thomas died in March of 1943 and is buried in Angelus Rosedale Cemetery.

Last edited by oldstuff; Oct 17, 2017 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 9:36 PM

This photograph is from a theatrical production in downtown Los Angeles in the late 1920s.

Unless I'm mistaken, the little touring cars traveled back and forth across the stage while the band performed.

note what's written on the drum.... Hollywoodland Community Orchestra

here is the complete photo.

from Huntington Digital Library.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 18, 2017 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:24 PM

1938 - Ford Lunch, "Popular Eating Place of Southern California." Euclid Ave and Holt, Ontario, San Bernardino (Roof tiles first suggested LA's China Town. )

https://www.insidetheie.com/fords-lunch-counter-ontario

Quote:
With the dawning of the automobile age, Ford Lunch established itself at the southeast corner of Holt Boulevard and Euclid Avenue, where by the 1920s it had become a favored midway stopping point for the movie stars and celebrities on their way to Palm Springs or Lake Arrowhead. In those days, it sat amongst a slew of Ontario enterprises along A Street, which was later named Holt Boulevard, serving travelers, including restaurants, motels, service stations, radiator shops and mechanics garages. Ford Lunch was also located within walking distance of the Ontario Hotpoint Works, where one of the earliest versions of the electric iron was produced. Ford lunch developed a degree of cachet with the residents of Ontario over the years, with its bright crystal chandelier attracting customers in the evening. One of its culinary features involved buttering the restaurant’s hamburger buns. It remained a fixture in Ontario into the late 1960s. http://sbcsentinel.com/2017/06/ford-lunch/

"Breakfast all day!"

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...coll2/id/32367

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ca/b2/d5/c...li-ontario.jpg

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/594324.jpg

Last edited by Tourmaline; Nov 22, 2017 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
originally posted by GaylordWilshire

Amazing color photograph of the Vanderbilt Apartments GW.

__

Quote:
The destruction of the Vanderbilt Apartments at 334 S. Figueroa (1959).

usc

usc

usc

After the dust settled . . . Notice power shovel behind the billboard. (Believed this was previously posted on NLA, but maybe not. )

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...0coll2/id/8487

Last edited by Tourmaline; Nov 22, 2017 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Bunkerhill HOTEL at 116-120 Hope Street in 1952.

lapl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

Cool! Yes, the large shape to the left and down a bit from the pointy tower (Berke Mansion, up at 2nd and Bunker Hill Avenue) is the Rowan apartment hotel at 122 S Hope. Behind it would be 116.

Here they are, in the mid-50s, 116 at left, Rowan on the right—

lapl

Bunkerhill Hotel, 116-120 Hope Street. undated.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...coll2/id/10841

Last edited by Tourmaline; Nov 22, 2017 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=Tourmaline;7955904]1938 - Ford Lunch, "Popular Eating Place of Southern California." Euclid Ave, Ontario, San Bernardino (Roof tiles first suggested LA's China Town. )

"Breakfast all day!"

What street was US 70 / US 99 in Ontario back in 1938.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:41 PM

Signs sure look like 70 and 99.

Last edited by Tourmaline; Oct 18, 2017 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 6:50 PM

So here is a bit or arcane information regarding my favorite retro show, 77 Sunset Strip.
In the opening credits of the show--which usually depicts a shot of Dino's and the Bailey & Spencer office building (believed to be shot from above on Miller Drive), one can clearly read Mary Allen Hill Modeling on the upper roof part of the office building. One can assume this is where the modeling agency resides.

While watching one of the episodes from Season 1 (on MeTV), Stu Bailey is seen entering the office lobby and the office listing board is clearly visible. Freeze framed to read, and oops! There is no Mary Allen Hill Modeling listed on the board.

This can be of no viable interest to anyone other than me, but I thought I'd share nonetheless.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 7:15 PM

[QUOTE=Lwize;7955977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
1938 - Ford Lunch, "Popular Eating Place of Southern California." Euclid Ave, Ontario, San Bernardino (Roof tiles first suggested LA's China Town. )

"Breakfast all day!"

What street was US 70 / US 99 in Ontario back in 1938.
The 70 and 99 ran down Holt Blvd in Ontario. That would make it at Euclid and Holt. Part of the bones of the Ford Lunch building may still be there but it has been extensively remodeled.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 8:51 PM

[QUOTE=oldstuff;7956927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post

The 70 and 99 ran down Holt Blvd in Ontario. That would make it at Euclid and Holt. Part of the bones of the Ford Lunch building may still be there but it has been extensively remodeled.
Well, if it was located on the southeast corner of Euclid and Holt, it looks like it was knocked down and replaced with an office building of some sort, going by Google maps...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
1938 - Ford Lunch, "Popular Eating Place of Southern California." Euclid Ave and Holt, Ontario, San Bernardino (Roof tiles first suggested LA's China Town. )

https://www.insidetheie.com/fords-lunch-counter-ontario

"Breakfast all day!"
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/594324.jpg
Wow, this really jogged my memory. I've been inside this restaurant.

Our family was on a trip to the San Bernardino mountains and we did stop at this restaurant for lunch but we all ate waffles.
My dad loved waffles. I recall the very large windows that looked out onto the grass parkway in the middle of the street. I thought that the name of the place was odd...."FORD"....and how exposed the diners were by the huge windows.

This takes me back to the early 1950s.

Here is the type of 1920s waffle iron they used....same as what we used at our home.

This was their top of the line waffle iron in this era (late 20's to 30's) and this one sold for $17.50 in 1931; pretty big investment for the depression era. (It would translate to about $200 + today).

https://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/im...g/14707967.jpg

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Oct 20, 2017 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:53 AM

[QUOTE=sopas ej;7957064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post

Well, if it was located on the southeast corner of Euclid and Holt, it looks like it was knocked down and replaced with an office building of some sort, going by Google maps...

I could be mistaken, but I think Lwize was alluding to Route 70 being located in Northern California. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_70

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:12 AM

re: Large mystery building in 'Lizzies of the Field' [c1924]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
Long shot but could it be Hathaway mansion on Apex?
Interesting choice H.G. The size is about right, but Garbutt-Hathaway mansion has gables and roof angles that the 'mystery' building lacks.
(unless the 'mystery' bldg was still under construction Read on.)

google_earth

Timeline:

Frank Garbutt acquired the 37 acre hilltop site in 1923, about the same time 'Lizzies of the Field' was in production.
It's possible the house was under construction during filming, but I doubt it.
(most sources say the house wasn't started around 1926) -other sites say earlier.

History:

"Garbutt and his family built three houses on the site, which came to be known as the Garbutt-Hathaway Estate.
Garbutt himself lived in the 20-room mansion built between 1926 and 1928 that came to be known as Garbutt House.
The house has nearly 15,000 square feet of space, rises 228 feet to its crest and was built like a citadel out of concrete
to survive earthquakes, floods(?) and fires. His daughter Melodie later recalled that the entire first floor was poured
in one pouring that took two days and one night of steady pouring with three shifts of workers. Due to his wife's intense fear of fire,
Garbutt even had the roof and walls built of concrete, installed steel-reinforced doors and allowed no fireplaces in the home.
The house also had bronze window frames and marble floors (the first floor was entirely travertine)" <--"was"....is it missing?

Garbutt died in 1947, but his son and two daughters continued to live at the estate after his death.
One of his daughters never married and lived at Garbutt House until 1960.

Development:

Los Angeles Times, November 22, 1982

In 1975, Los Angeles Times architecture critic, John Pastier, noted that the estate's "arcadian acreage" was 99% undeveloped
and "looks like a park." Pastier wrote a lengthy column criticizing a plan to cover the estate with 530 condominium units
requiring removal of 60% of the property's trees. He argued for a scaled-back development that would preserve the three houses
as a "testimony to the area's history and to a vanished way of life."
In 1978, two of the houses were torn down to make room for a 96-home development, but the Garbutt House was spared.
In 1982, nearly 100 homes were built on the property destroying the mansion's park-like setting.

Imagine the photo below without all the mediocre town-homes built in 1982. (my first year in Los Angeles)

silver_lake.org

Luckily, a slice of the hill facing northwest, toward the Silver Lake Reservoir, is less developed.

Garbutt_1809_Apex_Ave.

This aerial gives you an idea of the size of the original 1923 property.

g_earth

The google-mobile doesn't travel anywhere within the red lines. (I believe we've talked about this previously on NLA)
__

More on Frank F. Garbutt HERE. He was a very interesting man!

Thx again for your suggestion Hollywood Graham. It was fun researching this place.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 19, 2017 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:26 AM

& if you're interested, here's a video of a 1980s restoration project on the Garbutt-Hathaway House.

The images become clearer toward the end.

Video Link

I was surprised to see the beautiful stone base/foundation.

Just look at it...it's beautiful!

screen-grab at 9:51
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 19, 2017 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 5:34 AM

Has this been posted here already? If so, my apologies.

Here's a still from the 1930 film "Soup to Nuts," Shemp, Moe and Larry's first film together. This view is of Market Street looking west from Los Angeles Street towards the then only-a-few-years-old LA City Hall on Main Street. Redevelopment made Market Street and the buildings alongside of it, disappear.

silentlocations.wordpress.com

You can see that block of Market Street at the very bottom edge of the map that HossC posted, which shows the streets pre-1920s LA City Hall:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Oct 19, 2017 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:24 PM

Quote:
re: Large mystery building in 'Lizzies of the Field' [c1924]

Interesting choice H.G. The size is about right, but Garbutt-Hathaway mansion has gables and roof angles that the 'mystery' building lacks.
(unless the 'mystery' bldg was still under construction Read on.)

google_earth

Digging for permits-- to help with the timeline, here are a few BPs:

These are the permits for Frank A Garbutt's house--the big one--1924:

And for the houses of Frank A's son-in-law Charles Hathaway and son Frank E, issued August 23/Sept 5, 1923.
Perhaps it's one of these that's seen in Lizzies of the Field, released just about a year later, on Sept 7, 1924...
(or is the big house in the film Frank A's, the walls having gone up very quickly and the roof not yet on?).

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Oct 19, 2017 at 1:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:45 PM

Now we know where the lizard people came from:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...sation-of-moon

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:12 PM

[QUOTE=Tourmaline;7957432]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I could be mistaken, but I think Lwize was alluding to Route 70 being located in Northern California. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_70
The US 70 sign is on the streetlight along with US 99 in the 1938 picture.
You're confusing US 70 with CA 70.

Quote:
In 1934, the routing was changed yet again and US 70 was rerouted to California through Las Cruces, New Mexico, Deming, Globe, Arizona and Phoenix to a junction with U.S. Route 99 around Mecca. Between Globe and its new western end in California, US 70 was paired with US 60. A year later, US 70 was extended and reached downtown Los Angeles at U.S. Route 101 running concurrent with US 99 and/or US 60 throughout its course west of Globe.[18] Beginning in 1964 it was decommissioned in favor of Interstate 10 or US 60. After being removed from California, US 70 ended at the California/Arizona state line in Ehrenberg until 1969, when it was further truncated to its current endpoint in Globe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_70

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:37 PM

How funny, I didn't say that quote.

But I just noticed on my 2nd to last post, it assigned the quote to a different person too.

Odd. Oh well.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Oct 19, 2017 at 4:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos