HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 1:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

2011 Provincial Election

This thread is for the 2011 Provincal Election.

We've got Premier Dalton McGuinty and two Hamilton area MPPs as leaders, Tim Hudak for the PC and Andrea Horwath for the NDP.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 1:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Tomorrow's Budget day. Think Hamilton will get any goodies? It'll be the last Budget before Premier Dalton McGuinty seeks a re-election.

Funding for B-Line?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 3:34 PM

I didn't realize Hudak was local.

Hopefully, with two leaders from the area, Hamilton will be seeing some goodies in the coming years. I'm guessing there will be some funding for Aerotropolis and the Mid-Pen Highway coming from the Tories. Horwath will talk a lot about jobs, without saying much. McGuinty will probably do his best to pretend Hamilton doesn't exist.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

I disagree, we've been on Premier Dalton McGuinty's radar since day one. Even more so now that we've got two opposition leaders from Hamilton's riding.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 10:27 PM
Hammer'd

I agree with Steeltown although I also agree with the prediction for PC/NDP. Libs will probably hold onto their positions provincially, I don't think the Cons are bringing much of a fight, as much as people claim to be fed up with McLiar.

I don't really think B-Line funding will be on the line, as much as it would be great. That seems to be more up to Metrolinx, which prefers to drag its feet and defer things. Lets not forget that the province is looking to chop down that deficit and has already outlined transit funding as a chopping point to get it down (as usual).

It definitely seems that NDP is the all-talk, no action party. They talk a lot about retaining manufacturing jobs in Hamilton, but to date they haven't actually made any tangible progress on that. I think we might actually see a shakeup there as well, locally.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 12:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Remember Metrolinx passed the LRT/BRT B-Line debate to the province to decide.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 1:15 AM

It will be a major change

We don't vote government's in we vot them out. I predict PC majority with the NDP as the opposition.
Just remenber that if by a fluke like in the 90s the NDP won with Bob Rae and seriously I just got back to Ontario from down east and NOT ONE person ever admitted to voting NDP but someone did he got elected,
Remeber cross border shopping and Niagara Falls was called the city Bob Rae built.
Any predictions or remind me who is running for who. Is Skelly going to be the Aldershot PC rep/

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 1:57 AM
It's Hammer Time

NDP recruiting activist Matt Jelly to run in Ontario election

The New Democratic Party has approached community activist Matt Jelly to run in the riding of Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale in the Oct. 6 provincial election.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...tario-election

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 2:19 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
We don't vote government's in we vot them out. I predict PC majority with the NDP as the opposition.
Just remenber that if by a fluke like in the 90s the NDP won with Bob Rae and seriously I just got back to Ontario from down east and NOT ONE person ever admitted to voting NDP but someone did he got elected,
Remeber cross border shopping and Niagara Falls was called the city Bob Rae built.
Any predictions or remind me who is running for who. Is Skelly going to be the Aldershot PC rep/
you nailed it. well done.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 12:47 PM

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 1:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Liberal government has treated Hamilton well

http://www.stoneycreeknews.com/news/article/237944

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Liberal government has treated Hamilton well

http://www.stoneycreeknews.com/news/article/237944
Not as well as Harper's Neo-Cons have treated Muskoka!

And Dalton's Liberals have not treated us as well as we deserve.. WHERE'S OUR LRT, Uncle Dalton!?!?!

We need to make LRT the #1 issue during this provincial campaign!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 1:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Rapid Transit Office haven't completed the EA yet.

We got $75 million to upgrade the Hamilton Junction which will provide us with all day GO Train service.

In the last election the NDP were against MoveOntario 2020 and the PC wouldn't commit to it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 12:12 AM

Cripps Jumps Into Politics

Cripps Eyes Stoney Creek As Liberal Candidate [Kevin Werner, Stoney Creek News, July 19, 2011]

Hamilton Community News managing editor Mark Cripps is jumping into the political arena he has so often written about. He will be the Liberal candidate for Hamilton East-Stoney Creek for the Oct. 6 provincial election.

“I’m looking forward to getting out there and talking to the public about the issues that are important to residents of Stoney Creek and Hamilton East,” said Cripps. “I’m putting myself out there. Let the people judge who they want.”

Also: We're approaching an ignoble anniversary for HCN and the Liberals in HESC.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 1:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

Ted McMeekin, MPP for Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale, will take on the Ministry of Agriculture.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...riculture-post

We've got a cabinet minister.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 6:27 AM
Concerned Citizen

Considering Hamilton is an argricultural powerhouse and Ted's riding covers much of that prime agricultural land he is a good choice for that portfolio.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy