HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:52 AM

I'd love to see all of those surface parking lots between SW 4th and SW Naito, spanning from Washington to Ash, replaced with some 400-500 footers. There are currently about 8 surface lots in that 16 block section. It'd be really interesting to see some legitimate height hugging the river in the main downtown core.

Last edited by robocop; Mar 13, 2014 at 7:53 AM. Reason: extra word

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:49 AM

I want to see a new Portland tallest (and a collection of other tallish buildings) at the east end of the Steel Bridge. It's a challenging area, but I think it could be a great area to develop better. Simplify the roads/transit in that area, drop in a few towers, cover the railroad tracks and form stronger connections down to the river and esplenade. The towers would have incredible views of the river and downtown and could form a nice terminus to the Lloyd District, perhaps having the buildings get taller as they approach the river.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 12:34 AM

Possible Iconic Structure for Portland?

I've been digging through a lot of the threads on the site including the "why can't we have buildings like this" thread and through the threads I have noticed that people sometimes mention that Portland doesn't quite have an "iconic" structure or at least not one that's extremely memorable. Figured I would start this thread for people to discuss about past/present/future possible iconic structures in Portland.

What would you have like to have been built that never saw the light of day? Like the SMART tower for example.

What kind of structure do you think would best fit in Portland? (probably not a ball-on-a-stick observation tower, right?)

Where in the city would you think it would do best?

my personal ideas:

Some sort of observation tower would be nice on the Zidell property, I imagine it would have a great view of downtown, the river and bridges, Lloyd area, the east side, and OHSU. Since it is near the SOWA towers it wouldn't look too out of place even if it was pretty tall (Portland's tallest?) and may even serve as the connecting structure/area that may unite downtown and SoWa a little better. Plus since it will be near the new MAX and Streetcar line, it will be taking advantage of Portland's public transportation. Now I'm no expert so I can't quite say what effect it would have on the adjacent neighorhoods, maybe someone can speculate?

Driving down I-5, the ferris wheel for the Cinco De Mayo celebration looks really nice in its location in my opinion. Maybe a permanent ferris wheel (With closed cars/carriages/whatever they're called so it can be functional even in the rain) would make a nice addition to our waterfront.

anyways... shoot!

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 12:50 AM

SW 10th and Washington is my ideal site for a new tallest tower, somewhere in the 700-750 foot range. Nothing too extreme. Maybe an office/residential mix like PAW, just bigger and with more glass.

I agree with the ferris wheel idea, a permanent one on the waterfront would be awesome.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 1:55 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
SW 10th and Washington is my ideal site for a new tallest tower, somewhere in the 700-750 foot range. Nothing too extreme. Maybe an office/residential mix like PAW, just bigger and with more glass.

I agree with the ferris wheel idea, a permanent one on the waterfront would be awesome.
I agree, that is the site I would love to see something in the 700-750 range as well. Nothing too extreme, but something that would stand out. I would love to see it be a building that only takes up the northern half of the block and then have some sort of food cart square on the southern portion of the block.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:06 AM

I actually really hope Portland doesn't join the ferris wheel bandwagon.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I actually really hope Portland doesn't join the ferris wheel bandwagon.
Even if it wasn't a ferris wheel I think Waterfront park could use some sort of attraction like it. I'm sure it is probably the most popular park for tourists so you would think there would be some other attraction other then a 4 person bike ride.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I agree, that is the site I would love to see something in the 700-750 range as well. Nothing too extreme, but something that would stand out. I would love to see it be a building that only takes up the northern half of the block and then have some sort of food cart square on the southern portion of the block.
I have noticed that block is pretty close to PAW and not too far from Big Pink as well so I agree that would be a great location for a new tallest, it would definitely fill that gap between Fox tower (well PAW once it's finished) and Big Pink, evening out the skyline a bit while making it more complex at the same time. Also Because PAW and BP are pretty stylish I think that building could get away with being pretty darn flashy without looking too out of place. One can only dream though.. *sigh

Adding space for the food carts would also be an excellent way to keep pedestrians happy

I do think that maybe there should be a new tall or tallest built somewhere adjacent to the Wells Fargo Center so it could take away some attention away from it. Not a big fan of it being our tallest/most iconic at the moment but I think the unusual architecture would make a good sidekick to a sleeker building.

One can only dream, right?

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:29 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by riterpdx View Post
I have noticed that block is pretty close to PAW and not too far from Big Pink as well so I agree that would be a great location for a new tallest, it would definitely fill that gap between Fox tower (well PAW once it's finished) and Big Pink, evening out the skyline a bit while making it more complex at the same time. Also Because PAW and BP are pretty stylish I think that building could get away with being pretty darn flashy without looking too out of place. One can only dream though.. *sigh

Adding space for the food carts would also be an excellent way to keep pedestrians happy

I do think that maybe there should be a new tall or tallest built somewhere adjacent to the Wells Fargo Center so it could take away some attention away from it. Not a big fan of it being our tallest/most iconic at the moment but I think the unusual architecture would make a good sidekick to a sleeker building.

One can only dream, right?
My dream building for Portland, which it is a shame it is getting built in Seattle is this building. At 660ft it would look perfect in the Portland skyline.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:38 AM

Give it a few years, with office vacancy rates falling, Portland is bound to get a new tallest sooner rather than later.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:15 AM

The difference in expectations between Seattle and Portland are striking. I'd be thrilled - and I mean THRILLED - to get any of the squat buildings in the foreground added to our skyline. 17 floors? F&%^ YEA!

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
The difference in expectations between Seattle and Portland are striking. I'd be thrilled - and I mean THRILLED - to get any of the squat buildings in the foreground added to our skyline. 17 floors? F&%^ YEA!
It really is.

It's not close -- it's almost like comparing Salem to Portland.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
It really is.

It's not close -- it's almost like comparing Salem to Portland.
Agreed I lived in Salem before I lived in Portland and you shoulda seen how fascinated I was at first at how "tall" Portland buildings were! haha

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riterpdx View Post
Even if it wasn't a ferris wheel I think Waterfront park could use some sort of attraction like it. I'm sure it is probably the most popular park for tourists so you would think there would be some other attraction other then a 4 person bike ride.
Maybe the James Beard market is the beginning of this, but how awesome would it be for Naito Pkwy. to have shops & restaurants facing the park. We've got great food & bars. Why are none of them next to one of the city's greatest assets?

Agree that the empty block across from the Indigo/12 West would be perfect for a new tallest. All of the retail around that block is awesome and it's sad to have a huge empty gravel lot smack in the middle of it. Would also connect the Pearl to the West End better.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:30 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
Maybe the James Beard market is the beginning of this, but how awesome would it be for Naito Pkwy. to have shops & restaurants facing the park. We've got great food & bars. Why are none of them next to one of the city's greatest assets?
That's easy to answer. Naito isn't pedestrian friendly. It's five lanes of fast moving traffic, and it has many lanes of entrances and exists feeding into it. Naito is terrible. Naito is an obstacle that removes Waterfront Park from downtown. Yes, yes, Waterfront Park is downtown, but it isn't really part of downtown. Could you imagine how thriving Naito would be if it was just a typical city street? Naito is terrible.

It's tragic how much traffic gets fed through the heart of the city rather than around it.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:43 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

As much as I'd like to see a new tallest built, I'd rather see currently stalled projects built first. I'm more interested in what it's like to live and work in our city than how Portland looks on a post-card. We still have so many surface parking lots - and worse: vacant lots like SW Columbia & Broadway, 3rd & Taylor, 11th & Washington...

A new tallest would generate so much hype, but developing those vacant lots and surface parking lots would do much more good for our city.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 4:24 AM

Talking about locations I think there are two that ought to be a priority:

The dirt field in the heart of downtown near the Mark Hatfield building

The Oak Tower hole.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
That's easy to answer. Naito isn't pedestrian friendly. It's five lanes of fast moving traffic, and it has many lanes of entrances and exists feeding into it. Naito is terrible. Naito is an obstacle that removes Waterfront Park from downtown. Yes, yes, Waterfront Park is downtown, but it isn't really part of downtown. Could you imagine how thriving Naito would be if it was just a typical city street? Naito is terrible.

It's tragic how much traffic gets fed through the heart of the city rather than around it.
Who knows maybe the addition of the James Beard Market might create enough pedestrian buzz that the city will put measures in to slow down traffic and make it more ped. friendly and at the same time convince drivers to find another route..

another idea for a new icon.. and I know it's been discussed and possibly proposed.. but Marquam bridge has got to go! And get replaced with a nice new beautiful bridge painted in an appealing color.. I would vote for a steel through arch so that it kinda matches the Fremont since they're both Portland's freeway bridges..

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:44 PM

Past idea and new ones

I have said on other sites that a iconic tower like the "Smart Tower" should be placed at the Rose Quarter area (near transit, hotels, convention center, etc.). The view up and down the river would not be matched. Having the tower near the Lloyd District would create a sense of a second downtown immediately. It creates a great beacon for people coming from the North (Hey Seattle, here I am!!!). I would hope it would push 1,000 feet in order to let people see the Tualatin Valley (Silicon Forest visit or winery tour anyone?).

I love the idea of a ferris wheel on the waterfront (near the Morrison Bridge?) that brings people there year round.

EV

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 2:10 AM

I loved this concept:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues