HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 4:44 AM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 1:02 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
The Oregonian is now trying to destroy the South Waterfront:
Realistically is the local paper supposed to ignore these type of issues? It doesn´t look like the Oregonian--shitty as it is--is trying to destroy anything. Reporting the facts is responsible journalism. This article looks pretty void of editorial content--just facts. Steve Duin and Phil Stanford on the other hand, are full of shit. But as column writers, they can afford to be.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 4:30 PM

no, that article is a bunch of shit!

Why is it that they didn't post this until almost the end of the article?

"Homer Williams, one of a team of developers pioneering the project with the PDC, said tax revenue soon to rise within the project's urban renewal district will cover much of the need for public parks and affordable housing, among other things. Beginning in April, the formerly vacant industrial area will be home to condominium owners who will pay taxes on their new properties.

"We're going to start accelerating planning and initial improvements in both the parks and the greenway," Williams said. "We're going to accelerate the affordable housing program. So those are very positive things." "

I wrote this on PDX Arch about this too:

"When reading the article on the MAX this morning I was surprised the story was in the paper at all. It appears to me that Rivera doesn't understand how urban renewal districts operate. From increased taxes from new residents, new tax money is generated and spent on these improvements in the district that currently are unfunded.

That to me is the gist of what Homer was saying on the back page of the article almost 3/4 the way through. From what I can tell, Rivera thinks all the ammenities should be built now, before residents and workers move in.

Part of building a district is putting in one block at a time. OHSU doesn't work without the tram, the parks don't happen without the condo towers, the condo towers wouldn't be going up as quickly without OHSU locating down there. The circle goes round and round and each is an intergral building block in the forming of a new district.

Part of the problem is that the developers, city, and OHSU marketed this glorious district that was going to rise, without adequately explaning to the public how each part is built in stages. I think there is an expectation that one day people were going to head into work, come around the I-5 curves and see a completed district at no cost to them.

As for the affordable housing, I say sit on it for another year. Steel prices are too high to support high rise low income housing. Since all indicators point that the majority of the US contruction booms seems to be wrapping up, I'd bet steel prices begin to drop in the near future. I'd rather get a better building and more housing at an appropriate time, than forcing the city's hand now and getting another Sitka.

The article also failed to mention that the condo buildings are going up faster than planned and at a higher price point, meaning that the tax return estimates will eventually be higher than predicted."

-It was a laaaazy article meant to stir up additional anti-tram, anti-SoWa anger because the Oregonian for whatever reason, felt the Tribune was getting a scoop and didn't want to lose out on the Portland trashing our daily and semi-weekly have been actively engaging in.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 6:47 PM

i probably am being a bit overly critcal of the article but i'd like to have seen an update report about all the good stuff going on the south waterfront, its pretty easy for the media to make something look bad by just reporting article after article of the bad stuff like the cost overruns in the neighborhood, the tram issues, the "forgotten" streetcar alignment by the tram station, the alexan's issues, the loss of views etc, in the last 6 months the oregonian has not reported positively on the south waterfront like the new towers proposed or how the meriwether is opening months early or anything good coming out of the neighborhood. i find this article to be missing a key piece of information that KGW picked up and reported on, that developers plan to invest $10 billion in the south waterfront.
that said i applaud the media for exposing problems amongst public officials and public projects which is certainly a very important part of journalism but what i dont like is that they have only been telling the bad side of the story about the south waterfront lately when there is also a lot of good coming out of it

Old Posted Feb 25, 2006, 1:23 PM
Well designed mixed use

Yeah, you guys are right. I didn´t read the end of the article--it is a bit on the misleading side. Urban renewal districts are a different type of animal.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 6:29 PM

beautiful day in Portland. I can't believe the John Ross's progress...Fastest I've ever seen a tower go up here!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 3:29 AM
momentum

pictures taken 3.11.06

SOWA looking east at Meriwhether / john ross

SOWA looking north OHSU / john ross / Meriwhether

meriwhether

various shots of ohsu - RCB1

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 4:09 AM
A before E

looking more and more like vancouver, BC everyday.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 7:46 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the light colored stone they chose for the exterior on the meriwether and ohsu buildings. I just think it looks funny next to the dark colored glass. Maybe if it were a more white/gray colored stone it would match better. I guess the ohsu building looks alright though...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 8:25 PM
A before E

I agree, the stone work does look alittle weird. It might look better as it ages and as that area grows and fills in.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 8:49 PM

It appears they are using the same colored stoned work on high rises all over the Northwest. I agree with you guys....it is not a favorite of mine...I don't like it on the new Washington Mutual Tower here in Seattle either.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 9:36 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Interesting thing about that recatangular medical building - it will be one of the most energy efficient buildings, in the world, and will additionally recycle 99% of waste water (from toilets, etc) IN THE BUILDING, before the little waste that is left will be flushed to the sewer. Pretty cool stuff...

Those sunshades on the south-facing windows are also solar PV panels.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 9:43 PM
A before E

yeah, that is cool zilfondel. I remember them getting heat for some stupid discount they were picking up, but for being an energy efficient building, I think they deserve every kick back they get.

PacificNW I really wish they would of gone for a complete glass skin, I really like the glass that was used and the stone work seems to want to detract from the beauty of the glass.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 12:59 AM

does anyone know what the status is of the rest of the sowa streetcar extension (up and down bond and moody, i believe)?
are there maps or renderings anywhere with anticipated stations?
i remember reading something months ago about how the city council wanted to lay track at the same time as they build the streets, which makes sense. haven't heard anything since though, and it seems like they'll have to finish at least a few blocks around ohsu/meriweather in the next several months.
i'm especially curious to see some plans for the temporary track sqeeze between the ohsu bldg and the tram.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 1:12 AM

i think they are building the track with the streets, I believe the overhead wires will come later. the track will be squeezing between ohsu and the tram but eventually it is supposed to be re-routed thru the zidell yard.
chris smith of portland transport said the stops will be at 1) gaines & moody, 2)lowell between moody and bond, 3)lane & bond, 4)whitaker & bond
there was some issue over how the streetcar line would work with the bike lane, i think i recall that it travels on the right hand side on one direction on the left hand side the other due to this, but i am not certain and i think there were still some things to be sorted out when chris said this.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 1:15 AM

block 38 is out for bid (just south of the J.R.)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 2:00 AM
TEH KING

Looking good!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 6:43 AM

For what its worth: the light colored stone on the Meriwether towers is actually concrete. The stone on OHSU is a thin granite. I tend to like all glass buildings as well, but that might be a tough sell to an institutional client that just built an all glass building on the other end of the tram. Plus, there's a certain dignity to a stone cladding for a university building.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 4:34 PM

I believe the stone was choosen as part of the effort to get the building LEED certified. I'm sure it serves a purpose as granite seems like an expensive, but beautiful up close, choice.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2006, 4:53 AM
momentum

the granite does not help with LEED points, but certainly gives the building some gravity. i think people are heaping their comments collectively about the Meriwhether and OHSU. if you get a chance to walk around in person you should see both projects up close. the granite on OHSU is very rich and warm, and the Meriwhether precast and glass do not go well together - i would agree with that, but i would reserve comment on OHSU until you see it in person.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos