HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 3:48 PM
silly slackergeek

OK - here's little tidbit I'm hearing regarding SMF. Not exactly earth shaking, but it's all that I'm hearing right now.

Horizon will increase daily service to Palm Springs to 2x/day starting this fall. Up until a few years ago, SMF had no direct flights to PSP. Horizon started service that was seasonal, then went all-year I think in 2005. The demand has always been there and the present single flight is often sold out on the 70 seat Q400, even in the summer (Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!)!

Horizon's shown steady growth at SMF. This is one rumor that could actually be true.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 8:12 PM

Any news whether Aeromexico will began service to Mexico City on Sunday?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 11:17 PM
Kodachrome

SACOG releases draft transportation projects list
Sacramento Business Journal
Friday, June 29, 2007

The Sacramento Area Council of Governments has released a draft project list for the Metropolitan Transportation Plan, a federally required document that details how the region's leaders should spend money on transportation through 2035.

The $41.7 billion draft project list details transit, road improvements and other investments. The list aims to reduce the number of vehicle miles traveled per household.

While the region's population is expected to grow by 50 percent, growth in congestion per household is projected to increase by just 10 percent under the plan. It calls for investment in "complete streets" that enable safe travel by pedestrians, cyclists, motorists and transit riders, for example.

The Council of Governments is the region's transportation planning agency, responsible for developing the plan every four years in coordination with El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba counties, and their 22 cities.

A final draft plan and environmental study are set to be released in September. For more information, go to www.sacog.org/mtp/2035.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 2:08 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...=et76&hbx=e_du

New nonstop flight to Spokane begins Sunday

Horizon Air will launch its new nonstop service between Spokane and Sacramento beginning with one daily flight July 1, with a second to start on July 22.

Horizon now flies twice a day between the cities, with a stop in Boise, Idaho. Horizon will continue one flight a day with a Boise stop along with the two direct flights.

The new flights will be operated with 70-seat CRJ-700 regional jets. The CRJ-700 features two-across seating, so there is no middle seat.

Horizon added the flights because of increased demand in the Sacramento market, said airline spokeswoman Jen Boyer. "There is quite a bit of business that goes on between the two cities," she said.

Through April of 2007, Horizon's Sacramento passenger loads are up 14 percent year-over-year, from about 34,400 in 2006 to 39,200 in 2007.

ExpressJet Airlines launched nonstop service between Sacramento and Spokane in April.
Travelled to 19 Countries on Six Continents

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 6:37 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post

SACOG releases draft transportation projects list
Sacramento Business Journal
Friday, June 29, 2007

The Sacramento Area Council of Governments has released a draft project list for the Metropolitan Transportation Plan, a federally required document that details how the region's leaders should spend money on transportation through 2035.

The $41.7 billion draft project list details transit, road improvements and other investments. The list aims to reduce the number of vehicle miles traveled per household.

While the region's population is expected to grow by 50 percent, growth in congestion per household is projected to increase by just 10 percent under the plan. It calls for investment in "complete streets" that enable safe travel by pedestrians, cyclists, motorists and transit riders, for example.

The Council of Governments is the region's transportation planning agency, responsible for developing the plan every four years in coordination with El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba counties, and their 22 cities.

A final draft plan and environmental study are set to be released in September. For more information, go to www.sacog.org/mtp/2035.
So in 30 years there STILL won't be anything out to Davis or Roseville, save Amtrak? What a joke.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 5:36 PM
Hindrance to Development

Bringing light rail to Davis would be difficult: because the intervening area is still under water every year, you'd have to build a trestle structure, similar to the ones the railroads use, the entire distance. Not cheap at all, especially considering that there's kind of a stigma about the wooden pile trestles now. Capitol Corridor serves as a pretty good commuter train, with many trips per day and it's not very expensive (like $7 each way Davis/Sac.) Yolobus is even cheaper but less comfortable. Woodland is in much the same boat, so to speak, even though the DNA line would be temptingly close.

Sadly, light rail will never make it to Roseville, because Placer County's policy of fiscal conservatism (aka making Sacramento County carry the load wherever possible) means that they won't ever be willing to help fund commuter rail. Besides, I'm sure they think that public transit will only bring an influx of undesirables (homeless, criminals and Democrats) to their fair city. To Roseville, if you can't drive your SUV to your job in Sacramento you shouldn't be living there, and for those who prefer not to commute, I hear Jamba Juice is hiring.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 5:38 PM
Hindrance to Development

arrgh! What is it with the furshlugginer double posts?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 6:41 PM
Repeat!

I can't stand Roseville. Last week I went to the Galleria and a woman asked me what the word 'compact' meant when she parked her SUV.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 8:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusey View Post
I can't stand Roseville. Last week I went to the Galleria and a woman asked me what the word 'compact' meant when she parked her SUV.
You guys sound just as bad as the San Francisco people who make negative comments about Sacramento. I don't live in Roseville, but us upper class SUV driving citizens would rather live in areas like Roseville where we can have a house with a yard and a swimming pool, as well as snowboard on the weekends in Tahoe or Surf in the summer in SC or north of SF. Oh, and I hope you don't get hurt about us 4X4ing in the Rubicon and other OHV parks in the Sierras. SUV does not mean ignorance, it means (for myself and others anyway) we enjoy doing activities in the outdoors, not sitting around in DT coffee shops whining about where light rail is going... I would much rather go snowboarding. BTW: Most of our Bay Area transplants live in Roseville. Median Income for Roseville: $57,637. Median Income for Sacramento: $37,049.

Last edited by econgrad; Jun 30, 2007 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 8:08 PM
Closed account

Light rail to Roseville ... in 2045
Sacramento Business Journal - October 18, 2002
by Mark Larson
Staff Writer

Picture getting on board a light-rail train in Sacramento that will take you all the way to El Dorado Hills. Nice, but the trains might not roll for another 45 to 50 years, when many of us will be lucky if we can still leave the house.

It might not be until 2040 to 2045 before the Interstate 80 light-rail line connects to the Galleria mall in Roseville. But there could be a new six-lane bridge across the Sacramento River from Richards Boulevard to the Lighthouse area of West Sacramento built between 2025 and 2030, at a regional price of $240 million.

Those transportation projects are just a few of the possibilities projected between 2025 and 2050 on a new list from the Sacramento Area Council of Governments, one of the main groups in charge of mapping the area's transportation future so that local roads don't become a constantly congested mess.

The forecast takes up where the SACOG's recently approved 25-year transportation system development plan leaves off. By the time that $22 billion plan expires in 2025, the region's population is expected to have grown by nearly a million people from 2000, to 2.8 million.

But the growth almost certainly won't stop in 2025. By 2050, SACOG believes that the region will have 3.65 million residents, up another 800,000. Keeping the region mobile, the agency says, will require another $20 billion in transportation projects — and could mean running a freeway through Placerville.

But no one foresaw light rail in '65: Ken Hough, a transportation planner at SACOG, said the list is only an estimate of future transportation system capacity needs, and SACOG isn't proposing that any be locked in as essential.

Wendy Hoyt, a Sacramento transportation consultant who hadn't seen the list yet, said forecasting transportation improvements 25 to 50 years off "is pretty tough," given all the unknowns.

"We have no idea what technology is going to bring," she said, or how it might affect transportation demand and patterns. But, she added, "I applaud them for looking beyond the 25-year plan."

Long-term predictions aren't necessarily going to come true, agreed Art Bauer, another Sacramento transportation consultant. In 1965, he noted, no one locally was predicting a light-rail system for Greater Sacramento.

"Light rail wasn't even on the scope," he said. "It wasn't being thought about anywhere."

That said, the SACOG list figures that 21 different stretches of area freeways or highways will need to add lanes, plus build or extend another 18 commuter lanes — for cars with two or more occupants.

The list also anticipates a couple of new six-lane expressways, nine more light-rail extensions, and a new bridge over the Sacramento River at Richards Boulevard.

The total local share of all the projects is about $5 billion, or about one-fourth of the project costs anticipated in the current 25-year plan. But the long-range plan includes only the money from local sources.

Bauer believes future Greater Sacramentans will keep driving cars as a predominant way to get around. But he expects in 25 to 50 years, cars are more likely to be powered by fuel cells and electric motors.

So he sees no future drop in demand for roads. "Of course we'll need roads," he said. "It was key to the Romans and it's key to us."

Trains to a new Southeast Parkway: Other possible light-rail line additions are extensions of the I-80 line from Antelope to Roseville for $80 million, and a Laguna line to Cosumnes River College for $110 million.

The SACOG list foresees a need to extend the Folsom line north into Fair Oaks for $120 million, plus north on South Watt Avenue for $160 million. By 2040, that line is expected to go farther south on Watt to a new Southeast Parkway throughway for $280 million. The Roseville end of the I-80 line would reach the Galleria for another $120 million.

By 2035, the list envisions a light-rail line crossing the American River at Folsom and continuing into Fair Oaks, for $150 million, and another extension from Folsom farther east to Iron Point Road, at a cost of $230 million.

By 2045 to 2050, the Iron Point end of the Folsom line could be ready for the extension uphill to El Dorado Hills for another $180 million.

Not all the new trains would be streetcars. A Union Pacific commuter rail service connecting Sacramento to Lodi and Stockton is anticipated at a price of $150 million.

More lanes: The SACOG list foresees enough demand for two new Highway 50 overpasses for $80 million, plus making the highway a freeway through Placerville for $70 million.

The list shows a possible need in about 40 years to widen Roseville Road, now two lanes, to six, with a commuter lane from Highway 160 downtown to Watt Avenue. Drivers already use that part of Roseville Road when commuter traffic is heavy along Business 80 and Interstate 80. In 35 to 40 years, the list predicts, there will be need for a "new six-lane expressway" connecting North Watt Avenue with the planned Placer Parkway, creating another link between Roseville and Sacramento.

Not impressed: John Gudebski is vice president of the "No Way LA!" coalition, which has fought plans to increase traffic capacity on Watt Avenue. He believes transportation planners want it made into a major north-south corridor.

He balked Wednesday when hearing that the list sees Watt as an eventual north-south connector with some light-rail service.

"That's our ugliest image," he said. "Putting it out that it is a possibility is so scary, because no one is putting out the consequences."

His group wants a bus rapid-transit system on Watt as a mass-transit solution to the street's heavy traffic. Adding light rail on Watt would be costly and wrongheaded, he said, because the cost of buying rights of way in a residential area would be very high.

"That would be the straw that would break everybody's back," he said. "That's as unacceptable as a double-decked thoroughfare."

Previously the coalition protested the Watt bridge-widening project over claims that state environmental procedures weren't followed, but lost.

Gudebski called the SACOG list a trial balloon that relies on current land-use policies, and runs counter to efforts by the 50-member Sacramento Air Quality Transportation Forum to encourage development of a less-polluting transportation system.

"It's working counter to our efforts," he said. "It's discouraging."

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 7:19 PM
Repeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
we enjoy doing activities in the outdoors
Then I'm sure you're fully aware that the Sacramento area is one of the top 10 smoggiest places in America, as well as one of the top 10 worst when it comes to exercising outside. It's also kind of hard to enjoy the outdoors when practically every piece of dirt gets developed. You didn't even mention one place from the Sacramento area that you like to do activities in, besides "swimming in pools." Obviously you don't care much about the environment which you claim to love so much.

Quote:
not sitting around in DT coffee shops whining about where light rail is going...
As opposed to sitting around a cookie-cutter home complaining about traffic and the price of gasoline?

And by the way, I hate coffee. I hate coffee shops. I dislike most people in coffee shops. Thanks for being just as bad as people from Roseville.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 9:14 PM

" upper class SUV driving citizens" haha ...yeah but what about all those people driving SUVs but live in the crack dens in So. Sac? Sorry but owning an SUV doesn't indicate one's social class or financial stability. And anyone who thinks it does is not really from the "upper class".

Some SUVs are better than others. And some SUV owners are more enlightened than others. I used to have small SUV that ran on biodiesel -I had it because I like doing outdoor activities so I understand that. But saying shit like "sitting around in DT coffee shops whining about where light rail is going" sounds pretty arrogant to me. What about the guy who, when he's not driving to Tahoe in his SUV, is sitting around a DT coffeehouse discusing important transportation issues? Grow up folks.

I like your use of the word "our". In my world Roseville is not part of "our" community -not because it's a stupid soulless suburb full of vapid, boring suburbanites but because so many of them seem to think somehow they are not part of the Sacramento region and maybe that's because most of them are Bay Area transplants. They just went from one suburb to another. I guess they like living in clonevilles. Big deal...so Roseville is full of middle class people from Richmond, Fremont and Hayward who could sell up in the Bay Area and move to Placer county to 'up grade' their lifestyle. That's AN American Dream I guess but it doesn't make them anymore urbane.

Last edited by ozone; Jul 1, 2007 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 10:19 PM

Speaking of the Capitol Corridor and rail service to Davis and Roseville.
Is there any way to have something like a "Capitol Metro" express service that uses smaller coaches and would run only between Rocklin and UC Davis, run more frequently than the Capitol does now and have addtional stops in-between? It seems like this would be far more cost effective than building a separate light-rail line. The big problem is that it shares the use of that tracks so possibility of delays and accidents would rule it out unless the entire route were double-tracked.

Last edited by ozone; Jul 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 10:35 PM
Closed account

Fusey: I do not complain about traffic nor the price of gasoline. The price of gasoline is high because of mis-informed people like you hat continue to elect politicians who mis-manage the economy with useless and harmful so called environmental protections. If you studied why Sacramento is so smoggy, you would learn that it is in a hot bowl during the summer where smog has an extremely difficult time escaping. This is also noticeable when the fog gets trapped in our valley during the winter. About the places I like in Sacramento to do activities in, wake-boarding in the Sacramento river in my boat, and stopping off at crawdads for dinner afterwards, the music circus, and playing live shows all around town. You seem to resent and hate certain people for no good reason, just based upon your feeble belief system on "man hurting the environment" when this is a free country and many of us, whom I believe are the majority do not agree with you in a sense that cars and traffic are the main cause of smog anymore after all the Clean Air Acts legislations. How is it obvious that I do not care about the environment? Once again, you are prejudiced against a group of people and hating them for being different and not agreeing with you. Wow! Thats being open mined! LOL

Ozone: Most people who live in So Sac are minorities. Do you hate minorities? Thats not very open minded of you... If you would just read what you wrote, your not sitting around discussing important transportation issues by saying ignorant and prejudiced statements like these: I can't stand Roseville. Last week I went to the Galleria and a woman asked me what the word 'compact' meant when she parked her SUV.
What does the above statement have anything to do with important transportation issues. You are a hypocrite. You are being arrogant by making statements like this and I called you on it. You are also being arrogan about people who live in South Sacramento. I am sick and tired of people judging an area as being full of crack dens because there are mostly minorities that live there. That is just disgusting...
More of your ignorant and useless waste of this forum statements:
I like your use of the word "our". In my world Roseville is not part of "our" community -not because it's a stupid soulless suburb full of vapid, boring suburbanites but because they seem to think somehow that they are not part of the Sacramento region and maybe that's because most of them are Bay Area transplants. Poor souls. They went from one suburb to another. Big deal...so Roseville is full of people from Richmond and Hayward -how urbane.

How are you so sophisticated and urban? Because you you judge other peoples in other areas? yes, Roseville (even though you pompously do not consider it our area) is part of the Sacramento Metropolitan Area and is very important to the over all economy, as well as Davis, Folsom, Carmichael, Rancho Cordova, and Fair Oaks. Now I see you are judging Richmond and Hayward, good job...wow, first picking on upper class economic areas and now pick on people in areas that are not as economically diverse! Good job guys! Great discussion for the forum! Lets just continue to judge and hate people from other areas that we don't like! Very productive....

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 11:04 PM

You missed my point entirely and attributed statments to me that I didn't make. I guess I assume people would actually read a post it before they go on a rant. And no I'm not a racist who hates minorities. I was trying to make a point but you are right it does sound racist. Sorry about that. But do you really think you sound any more rational? Why does what we say set you off? Doesn't accepting diversity include opinions? You have your opinions and I have mine. Let's leave it at that.

I really want to know why this wouldn't work and I'm afraid it'll get lost in the nonsense above. Is there any way to have something like a "Capitol Metro" express service that uses smaller coaches and would run only between Rocklin and UC Davis, run more frequently than the Capitol does now and have addtional stops in-between? It seems like this would be far more cost effective than building a separate light-rail line. The big problem is that it shares the use of that tracks so possibility of delays and accidents would rule it out unless the entire route were double-tracked.

Last edited by ozone; Jul 1, 2007 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 11:31 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Thats a good idea, but I'm sure the fact that the line is also for freight would cause some problems.
Maybe UP could be kind enough to donate two more tracks to caps? Then it would be up to somebody else to electrify them.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 11:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
You missed my point entirely and attributed statments to me that I didn't make. I guess I assume people would actually read a post it before they go on a rant. And no I'm not a racist who hates minorities. I was trying to make a point but you are right it does sound racist. Sorry about that. But do you really think you sound any more rational? Why does what we say set you off? Doesn't accepting diversity include opinions? You have your opinions and I have mine. Let's leave it at that.

I really want to know why this wouldn't work and I'm afraid it'll get lost in the nonsense above. Is there any way to have something like a "Capitol Metro" express service that uses smaller coaches and would run only between Rocklin and UC Davis, run more frequently than the Capitol does now and have addtional stops in-between? It seems like this would be far more cost effective than building a separate light-rail line. The big problem is that it shares the use of that tracks so possibility of delays and accidents would rule it out unless the entire route were double-tracked.
Hey Ozone, I sent you a private message for the top response so we don't muck up the forum.

As for your second notion: Capitol Metro would work, your idea is a good one. What about even spending more money and increasing the efficiency and speed of the light rails to all adjoining areas? Kind of Chicago like, but cleaner maybe.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 12:32 AM

I got the idea of an "Capitol Metro" when I read that Chicago's Metra shared the tracks with freight trains on some of their lines. I don't know enough about railroads to know if it would work here. Maybe it would require adding an addtional track. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable can tell us if it would or wouldn't work. The Capitol Metro wouldn't have to be electrified since it would use the same equipment as the Capitol.

Speaking of light rail. I was talking to a RT LR operator the other day and complaining about missing my train. He said that despite what people think they don't get a thrill closing the doors on people as they running up to push the button. He said that they push a button that closes the doors and once the lady's voice announces the trains departure thats it. Also he said they get fined for delays they cause. He told me that the light rail trians don't even have GPS onboard -unbelievable. The biggest problem with light-rail downtown along O or K is that there are not clear signs/lights telling people where they should be in order to board. It's very confusing, and ridiculous since it's pretty easy to fix.

He also said don't bother to call in a complaint because the people who take your call belong to the same union as the operators. Don't you just love it?

Last edited by ozone; Jul 2, 2007 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 1:15 AM

The yellow markers mark the 2nd 3rd and 4th doors of the first car.....

I think they dont mark the rest due to the slow periods when only 1 car is running etc etc

Plus you are never far from a door when there are 4 car trains.

If you need assistance use the handicap ramp and you are at the front door

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 2:03 AM

Er.. I think you don't understand the problem Web. Maybe for someone who's been taking the train for years the system makes sense but the problem is that on the K or O street ped. malls if you are not familiar with a particular station you don't always know where to catch the train let alone notice the yellow markers on the ground.

There's no clear signage saying "wait here for train" or "go down there". For example, last week several people from out-of-town were waiting in front of the Cathedral for the Folsom train. Since the ticket machines and ramps are almost directly across from the Cathedral they assumed that if they crossed over to the other side then they'd be able to board the train going east. That's a logical assumption since that's how it works at most of the suburban stations. But nope not on K Street. To catch the train you have to go down to the Crest -so once they realized that the train wasn't stopping they ran to catch it..but didn't of course. I was in front of Golden One on O Street the other day. Now I normally don't get off there but I did that day and then assumed that I would catch the train going back at the same place (but on the other side) -nope..again it's down on the next block. I was kind of on autopilot that day so I wasn't thinking how stupid the system is and act accordingly.. and of course I missed my train.

I've lived in and visited many cities and by far Sacramento is the worst when it comes to creating a readable, user-friendly rail system -especially downtown which is why I strongly support the consoildation of the stations on K street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area