HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:01 PM

God, Rick Bell is such an embarrassment to the city, but I suppose what's even more embarrassing is the fact that the Sun sells papers.

On another note...
Did anyone notice that the CTV bridge video Unibrain posted went straight from lush greenery to snow...completely skipping the 60% of the year we are looking at dead brown grass?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:09 PM

Slightly OT...but not everybody who rafts down the Bow are "boozed-up", "drunk assholes" or "drunken rafters." The talk I've heard of rafters here lately almost makes it sound like they're a bad thing and need to be stopped.

What regultor said about the Sun is so true. I hate to sound like a snob, but not only is the Sun bad journalism, but the blind allegiance so many have to them is depressing. There will be so many people who say the bridge is stupid and overpriced and their only rationale will be because the Sun told them so.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
What regultor said about the Sun is so true. I hate to sound like a snob, but not only is the Sun bad journalism, but the blind allegiance so many have to them is depressing. There will be so many people who say the bridge is stupid and overpriced and their only rationale will be because the Sun told them so.
And what makes it even more sad/frustrating is that we live in a time where access to information is unparallelled. There really isn't any excuse to allow yourself to be misinformed.

The double-edged sword is that, in places like news site comment pages, everyone has a platform to speak their mind, regardless of how inaccurate and misinformed it may be.

Apologies for veering slightly off-topic, but I would argue that the abundance of misinformation and the resulting frenzy is probably the biggest issue related to the bridge. Right, mods?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:30 PM

Him, and the Sun are an embarrassment to the city. All Sun newspapers are an embarrassment to whatever city they are in.

I read some of the comments from the Sun's readers. I guess the fact they read the sun speaks for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenitude View Post
God, Rick Bell is such an embarrassment to the city, but I suppose what's even more embarrassing is the fact that the Sun sells papers.

On another note...
Did anyone notice that the CTV bridge video Unibrain posted went straight from lush greenery to snow...completely skipping the 60% of the year we are looking at dead brown grass?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 6:00 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
Slightly OT...but not everybody who rafts down the Bow are "boozed-up", "drunk assholes" or "drunken rafters." The talk I've heard of rafters here lately almost makes it sound like they're a bad thing and need to be stopped.
THANK YOU for bringing this up.

I'd say maybe 10% of rafters are even drinking, let alone drunk, whenever I go. Most of us are responsibly enjoying Calgary's natural wonder and I really resent those comments being made.

(The one about the inflatable hippo going over the weir was damned funny though)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 6:26 PM
Business Is Usual

^^.The Sun is an emarrassment in any city. You should read the tripe they write up here in E-Town. I guess they can't get reputable journalism jobs, so they all get picked up by the Sun.

Anyway, the bridge is awesome. I can't wait to visit it one day. Good for Calgary.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 6:36 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Between guys like Rick Bell and that Myke Thomas who writes in the 'Homes' section (and is nothing but a lap dog for big suburban development) I wonder if there is anyone left at the Sun that actually respects themselves?

At the very least it explains the alcoholic escapades of Rick Bell that are well known.
I think Michael Platt is pretty good.

That's about it.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 6:37 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenitude View Post

On another note...
I was interviewed in the Sun with a inside cover photo a while back, and my friend told me, once I mentioned it was in the Sun :'wow that means almost a million people in Calgary won't see it'

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 8:03 PM
The City That Moves

Metro News Calgary's Take:

Quote:
Peace Bridge needed for core transport: City

The pedestrian Peace Bridge has been getting both praise and criticism from Calgarians for its design and over whether it’s really needed.

Don Mulligan, director of transportation for the city, said the bridge is required because there are no roads that can be added into downtown and there are limited opportunities to add transit.

“Walking and cycling don’t take up as much room, they are available to everyone, and don’t use as much energy,” he said.

The city estimates that 120,000 people work downtown, with that number to increase to 180,000 by 2025.

The bridge is expected to handle 5,000 pedestrians and cyclists daily.

“(Downtown) is by far the densest area of the city, and because of that there are a lot of people who walk and cycle far more than any other area,” Mulligan said.

The Centre City Plan calls for two other pedestrian and cyclist bridges going into downtown.
http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/loca...0485--says-who
[with video]

Great to see that Metro Calgary actually bothered to interview the man who establishes transportation priorities for the city, the director of transportation, Mulligan!

Also, I thought the City of Calgary did a much better with release of the information on it's website, by providing costs, cost comparisons, why the bridge is needed, and construction timelines.

PS: Thanks Sir.Humphrey for your description of tax incremental financing!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 10:22 PM

The Sun running an opinion piece as front page news is absolutely irresponsible journalism.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post

That's about it.
I'd have to agree. I enjoy reading the Sun. Mind you, I don't think of it as a news source, but more of a form of entertainment. Especially the letters to the editor.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
The Sun running an opinion piece as front page news is absolutely irresponsible journalism.
and that's why I haven't purchased or pick up a Sun in 5 years. It's a complete joke for a newspaper.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 11:40 PM
Calgary Martindale

Longer view

Five years out, after completion, many of those who now complain will be dragging their out-of-towner visitors to see the bridge, at the behest of their children - perhaps even Mayor McIvor will be seen on it, white-hatting an unnamed architect/engineer. I'm thinking about how impressions changed dramatically in Winnipeg after construction of their bridge.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 11:54 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I'll throw mayor McIver off the bridge.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 11:56 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'll throw mayor McIver off the bridge.
With my blessing.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 12:07 AM
power to the people!

I remember the Calgary Scum was elated about a pedestrian bridge in front of their building. The Peace Bridge would definitely see more traffic than the one by the Scum. They even wanted it called "The Sunshine Bridge"

I'd be interesting to find out how much that bridge would cost in today's dollars, hang a banner off it, pointing out how the Scum loved it.

Today's cover made my blood boil. One person's opinion is mass communicated, whereas mine would be three lines in the letters section with some smart-ass remark from the editor following.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 12:19 AM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
I remember the Calgary Scum was elated about a pedestrian bridge in front of their building. The Peace Bridge would definitely see more traffic than the one by the Scum. They even wanted it called "The Sunshine Bridge"
I don't recall this. Does the bridge exist?? Sorry, I don't know where the Sun building is located and am too lazy to look it up. But, if they were boosters of another bridge and it exists, and they wanted to name it after themselves, then, I would think that would be major, major mud on their face!!!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 12:19 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post

I'd be interesting to find out how much that bridge would cost in today's dollars, hang a banner off it, pointing out how the Scum loved it.

Today's cover made my blood boil. One person's opinion is mass communicated, whereas mine would be three lines in the letters section with some smart-ass remark from the editor following.
I ride my bike on the bridge on my commute to and from work. It definitely doesn't see the same level of use as the Peace bridge will.

I love the idea of the banner hanging from it ripping into the hypocrisy of the Sun.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 12:22 AM

the Sun is ridiculous...an election issue? Its mostly provincial money for cryin' out loud...I think people should write to their Alderman, as clearly the nut jobs are trying to get this thing killed...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 12:30 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post

That's about it.
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Anyone else remember when he took a jab at the forum in his article and contacted a few of us with childish messages?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates