HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Vista Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 6:05 PM

They definitely seem to be making some good progress as they figure the site out better with each passing week

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
^^^
Remember when this was the proposal we were presented with? Thank god the design developed into what is currently being built! Also the glass shade transition is looking to be very apparent!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 2:55 AM

I spoke to someone in the know this weekend that said that glass manufacturing can't keep up with the crews on site. That is why installation is moving slower than we had all hoped.

To be perfectly clear I'm not sure if that was speculation or fact. I'll follow up with that person and report back.

Edit: Reworded to make more sense.

Last edited by PittsburghPA; Oct 22, 2018 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 4:52 AM
1st Ward

From the pictures, it looks like the glass will be 'terraced' between floors, instead of slanted in order to form a seamless surface. I was under the impression that we would be getting the latter.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 2:15 PM

There are some great construction shots of Vista on Chicago Architecture Blog's site, taken by Joe Zekas: https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...ws-on-the-way/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 3:26 PM

^To avoid any potential lawsuit against SSP forumers, please allow me to post this disclaimer:

**All photos contained within link above are property of Joe Zekas. Any attempt to re-post or save photos will result in death.**

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:17 PM

So if you look at Zeka`s pics, the 5th pic from top shows straight columns and same size floors!

Am i missing something or is the final frustum going to be constructed differently?

Maybe just a funny angle.-.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Remember when this was the proposal we were presented with? Thank god the design developed into what is currently being built! Also the glass shade transition is looking to be very apparent!
Oh my gosh, it was so ugly. Having the eastern tower being the tallest makes no sense. Building that would have been a huge mistake. I read through some of the early responses in this thread and they made me chuckle, such as "Gang designed that?" Amazing how much the design has developed for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I spoke to someone in the know this weekend that said that glass manufacturing can't keep up with the crews on site. That is why installation is moving slower than we had all hoped.

To be perfectly clear I'm not sure if that was speculation or fact. I'll follow up with that person and report back.

That's would be crazy if the manufacturer has only been able to produce this many panels after well over a full year. But then again, I've never tried making glass panels for a world renowned architect . I doubt it's a walk in the park.

It's also worth noting that the crew is not out of glass to work with quite yet. I counted over 60 panels from my vantage point.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
So if you look at Zeka`s pics, the 5th pic from top shows straight columns and same size floors!

Am i missing something or is the final frustum going to be constructed differently?

Since the building is designed to sway an insane (in my mind) three feet in any direction, I wouldn't be surprised if it is constructed differently (doesn't sears tower only sway 6 inches?), but if you look at the corner support columns it is clear that they aren't perfectly in line. Also notice how the corners of the climbing framework aren't touching each other as they would going straight up.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:42 PM

How can they design a residential tower to sway that much? I thought residential buildings were supposed to be much more rigid to avoid discomfort for residents.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:49 PM

The Hancock building has a 30" sway at the top, remember that's over 1000' of building so it's not that insane. I've actually seen the water move in the toilet in a unit in there.

Quote:

Blow thru floor?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post

Its just a funny angle. The converging parallels don't help.

Here's a zoom of a frame I took from Randolph

I lined up a white vertical line with the slab under the construction screening. You can see that line doesn't touch the eded of the slabs below.

Also, I don't know if it was my eyes paying trick on me, but when I walked passed today, it does appear the upper frustum has higher ceilings than the floors at or below the final setback.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post

Can you clarify, Pitts, that it is the actual *glass* vs, what I think is actually much more likely, the extruded aluminum window wall frames that they are frantically manufacturing at this point? It is my understanding that all the glass has already been manufactured...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Can you clarify, Pitts, that it is the actual *glass* vs, what I think is actually much more likely, the extruded aluminum window wall frames that they are frantically manufacturing at this point? It is my understanding that all the glass has already been manufactured...
I totally forgot about the frames! Someone in this thread definitely mentioned glass was done.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Its just a funny angle. The converging parallels don't help.

Here's a zoom of a frame I took from Randolph

I lined up a white vertical line with the slab under the construction screening. You can see that line doesn't touch the eded of the slabs below.

Also, I don't know if it was my eyes paying trick on me, but when I walked passed today, it does appear the upper frustum has higher ceilings than the floors at or below the final setback.
Got it, much better angle!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:26 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^To avoid any potential lawsuit against SSP forumers, please allow me to post this disclaimer:

**All photos contained within link above are property of Joe Zekas. Any attempt to re-post or save photos will result in death.**
Tough, but fair.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 9:22 PM

^agreed. Joe is very talented and I continue to follow him on flickr, and respect his (copy)rights, but that was funny as hell.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 9:24 PM

....are they at the blow through floor?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
I love that you've been registered for two months and made your first post to confirm this. What's your source?
Just sitting back and watching the show Cozy. Haven't felt the need to comment, most of the stuff that gets posted on here is pretty funny, or just speculation at best. My source is first hand.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post

What happened? Sounds like an interesting backstory.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction