HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 5:46 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Yep. That's two Denver startups (Marketo was CA based, but it's Denver office was the larger one) gobbled up in less than a month. Those were the two likeliest unicorns that could have really bootstrapped the Denver tech scene to the next level and given up that large public tech company.

Hopefully the Denver office stays open.
And they still may. In both cases I think it is unlikely the acquiring firm will close or reduce the Denver office at a time when companies are specifically moving employees to Denver and opening Denver offices due to the lower cost of living, educated workforce, and high quality of life here.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
And they still may. In both cases I think it is unlikely the acquiring firm will close or reduce the Denver office at a time when companies are specifically moving employees to Denver and opening Denver offices due to the lower cost of living, educated workforce, and high quality of life here.
I'd assume that's the case, especially with SendGrid.

Marketo could be more of a concern since Adobe has grown such a large presence in Utah. They'll surely stay in Denver but the question is how significant of a presence will there be?

As I've suggested previously California, specifically the Bay area is like an incubator for the whole country. They all like having a California address as their 'global' HQ but expand to all manner of places. San Francisco Business Times recently carried this story:

Bay Area exodus: Here are the companies that have moved headquarters or opened offices out of California
Quote:
Cities like Austin, Atlanta, Salt Lake City and Denver are attracting companies to set up shop as they flee the region's sky-high office prices and cost of living.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:56 PM

Right on Colfax

BusinessDen has the news about a 0.22-acre lot on the SWC of Colfax and Raleigh being sold. Same ownership also owns the parcel at 1477 Raleigh St.
I'm sure many would be skeptical of building a 25-story condo tower but nothing has yet been formally proposed.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 11:09 PM
Ground Scraper

It's zoned U-MS-5, so nothing over 5 stories.
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:01 PM

This has been one exciting forum lately....

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:06 PM

Saga Of The Crown

I was driving up I-25 N last night, and looked over to see that about 1/2 of 1144 15th's crown was lit. It didn't look like the sister building in Canada, where the top stories have been frosted to evenly disburse the light; it looked a lot more like utility lighting, but was still thrilling to see. I couldn't get a picture that was worth half a darn. Hopefully someone else got it...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSt. View Post
I was driving up I-25 N last night, and looked over to see that about 1/2 of 1144 15th's crown was lit. It didn't look like the sister building in Canada, where the top stories have been frosted to evenly disburse the light; it looked a lot more like utility lighting, but was still thrilling to see. I couldn't get a picture that was worth half a darn. Hopefully someone else got it...
I saw that last night. Looked just like those top floors had the lights on. Maybe they should just tell those companies to leave their lights on and we'll have a nice crown.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:58 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
This has been one exciting forum lately....
It does really feel like there's a lull in development news. On the residential side, perhaps further large projects await the completion of the massive container ship structures along Welton and their slow filling with shipmates (residents).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
It does really feel like there's a lull in development news.
Do you happen to have a fondness for Copenhagen, Denmark or was that meant to be a hot stock tip?

Other than for the Modera LoHi Apartments, groundbreakings have been scarce of late. BUT, this is the time of year when I looks for 2 or 3 groundbreakings to arrive before the New Year.

Consolation prize just for you

You can rush on over to DenverInfill where Ken has some amazing photos of The Grand Apartments. If you were in a moving mood the views of downtown Denver from there are quite nice.

And there's a great lap pool too.

Photos courtesy: Shorenstein/Engrain/Greystar via The Grand-Denver

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Other than for the Modera LoHi Apartments, groundbreakings have been scarce of late. BUT, this is the time of year when I looks for 2 or 3 groundbreakings to arrive before the New Year.
I've heard there's a big one happening downtown tomorrow. A certain parking lot on Market is closing down ahead of it...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Do you happen to have a fondness for Copenhagen, Denmark or was that meant to be a hot stock tip?

You can rush on over to DenverInfill where Ken has some amazing photos of The Grand Apartments. If you were in a moving mood the views of downtown Denver from there are quite nice.

The Grand Really turned out nicely! I give all the residential developments around Union Station - The Grand, the Union, Cadence, and Platform, pretty high marks.

My only real complaint around that area is how wide they left 16th Street. I was down there this weekend - really seems like wasted space - it looks like a superhighway and the volume of traffic doesn't justify the width of the road. A more narrow roadway would have made for a better urban look, and more dense development.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:58 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I've heard there's a big one happening downtown tomorrow. A certain parking lot on Market is closing down ahead of it...
Can confirm that a certain parking lot is closed.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Would that parking lot on Market Street happen to border...oh, I don't know...perhaps a street that rhymes with FIX-teenth, or perhaps one that rhymes with SKATE-teeth?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:29 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipDDG View Post
Would that parking lot on Market Street happen to border...oh, I don't know...perhaps a street that rhymes with FIX-teenth, or perhaps one that rhymes with SKATE-teeth?
I would go with the latter for the bordering street of a gigantic half-block parking lot that is a scar on downtown.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:28 PM

Quote:
I would go with the latter for the bordering street of a gigantic half-block parking lot that is a scar on downtown.
Like Tabor 2 the (lack of) development of this block proceeded the last recession. I'm glad we're getting this one in before the impending downturn I had my doubts. Still doubtful about Tabor 2, I guess we'll see..

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Oh great, where I am supposed to park now?? ? ? ? ? ? The good old days - downtown parking at .25 cents per day!

Last edited by CherryCreek; Oct 23, 2018 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:

If it weren't for me being married with kids and a dog, this would definitely be how I was meant to live!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:34 AM

So I moved to down town San Diego recently and I've noticed that almost every modern office or residential building has a plaza or little park. Many of them have a plaque saying the name of the plaza and that it was given to the city of San Diego from the development company. As a result there are plenty of water fountains and places for people to let their dogs roam, or sit and drink coffee.

It's obvious that this must be some type of city requirement for new development. I am wondering for those of you on here that are versed in Denver's regulations for development, does Denver have any public space requirement like this? If so, does it change from district to district?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:53 PM
Ground Scraper

I think getting 1800 Market St. finally developed is a huge deal. For those who remember, DenverInfill made a pretty big deal around the old Fontius building getting rehabbed after decades of sitting empty. In my mind, 1800 Market will have the same kind of impact. I strolled down to the parking lot after work and snapped some pictures, I'm that excited by it.

On another note, with all of the construction activity and recent projects on 15th St., the street is finally starting to feel cohesive between Lower Highland, LoDo, and the CBD stretches. That feeling of being in no-man's-land that I had while walking/riding/driving down 15th between Lawrence and court is finally starting to give way.
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 11:53 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I strolled down to the parking lot after work and snapped some pictures, I'm that excited by it.

And nobody is posting any photos of it.... Y'all are getting red missed assignment marks in the mod book.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West