HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:28 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Why no food truck list?

Also surprised to see a restaurant like Farm no where on any list. That place is amazing.
That place has the best dessert in the City- Peanut Butter pot-de-creme. And agreed, some of the best food I have had.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:43 PM
City of Blinding Lights

My friend who is also the owner of Ducky's on 4th is opening an upscale diner in Inglewood where Capo used to be. Details to come.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
My friend who is also the owner of Ducky's on 4th is opening an upscale diner in Inglewood where Capo used to be. Details to come.
Following that, something new is coming to the Opus space on 8th... Details also to come.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:11 PM
BANNED

Had dinner at Li-Ao Sushi in Bridlewood Thursday night. Absolutely a new treasure for local sushi fans. If you are down that way or want to make the trek out - you won't be disappointed.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:30 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Following that, something new is coming to the Opus space on 8th... Details also to come.
Do you mean the former Seven or the Opus 8 restaurant/club?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:33 PM
Round Head

Went to Overeasy Breakfast this morning. Their "Soul in a bowl" is just ridiculously good. Maybe my favourite breakfast dish in Calgary.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 10:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Excellent news.

With Critical Mass moving into that new building on 9th (near the old Farmer Jonez car lot) I wonder if there will be more lunch places opening in the area. They have maybe 300+ employees, and they are not keeping their in-house breakfast place, so it might be a good time to have more food options there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Went to Overeasy Breakfast this morning. Their "Soul in a bowl" is just ridiculously good. Maybe my favourite breakfast dish in Calgary.
was there last week....excellent all around.

very busy.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Do you mean the former Seven or the Opus 8 restaurant/club?
I believe the former Seven (Se7en ) was in the "Opus 8" building

I'm referring the the Opus restaurant/club on the north side of 8th...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 2:30 PM
not a NIMBY

The "Opus 8" building is now called Plains Midstream Plaza (607 8 Ave).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:27 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I believe the former Seven (Se7en ) was in the "Opus 8" building

I'm referring the the Opus restaurant/club on the north side of 8th...
I didn't realise it had closed.

Folks, if you get the chance, check out the embarrassingly named Pizzeria Gaga near 12/12 SW (a few doors east of the new Pig and Duke Pub). "Gaga" is actually the owner's nickname (or what her husband calls her). They're Bosnian and her culinary background is pretty impressive. She makes many items from scratch including ALL of the breads used in every sandwich- including a sort of Bosnian version of pita that I'd never had before but used to wrap ham and mozza and then crisped in a pizza oven=glorious. She bakes all the sweets on display too. I haven't tried the pizza but I know it's thin crust, not priced too badly and smells amazing. They only do takeout sadly. Really, really nice people.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 7:10 PM
Round Head

Nice. I drove by Pizzaria Gaga yesterday and was curious about it. Funny enough, I've had pizza in Bosnia - in this little resort town on the coast (Bosnia's tiny little 5 km stretch of coastline) between two regions of Croatia. It was really good pizza!

On another note, we went to Juree's Thai at 16th Avenue at 19th Street. It's an old Burger King they converted. It was packed and a nice space. But seemingly like all Thai in Calgary it is quite pricey. We went on the recommendation of John Gilchrist's review on the eyeopener - particularly the Penang Curry - of which we've been searching for a good version of in Calgary. It was disappointing. $14 for mostly a bowl of red and green pepper and over oily and thin curry sauce. Crappy chicken quality too. The spicy noodles weren't bad, but again not woth the $13 + $3 for small bowl of steamed rice. Anyone had a really great Penang Curry here? We've had the very best Penang in Cambodian restaurants in Kingston funny enough, haven't been able to find anything remotely comparable since.

This is Pat's Restaurant in Kingston: Penang Curry. $9.50

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 4:28 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Wooster, you were in my hood! The "Breakfast District"

and the Soul Bowl is great! but I can't stand the lineup at OEB or Diner Deluxe. My roommate doesn't mind waiting though. I guess I have the impatient gene in my DNA
I like the cheap/fast/quieter/good breakfast at Joshua Tree cafe across the street in the plaza where Subway/Liquor Depot is. Walk in, pay, eat, and leave to start your day in 15-20 mins or less

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 4:37 AM
Great White Norf

Rusty,

My business partner Sead is Bosnian so he would probably appreciate Pizzeria Gaga and being able to speak with the owners in his native tongue

We'll have to check it out! Thanks for the info/review

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 4:01 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Wooster, you were in my hood! The "Breakfast District"

and the Soul Bowl is great! but I can't stand the lineup at OEB or Diner Deluxe. My roommate doesn't mind waiting though. I guess I have the impatient gene in my DNA
I like the cheap/fast/quieter/good breakfast at Joshua Tree cafe across the street in the plaza where Subway/Liquor Depot is. Walk in, pay, eat, and leave to start your day in 15-20 mins or less
Bridgeland really is the Breakfast District. My girlfriend and I go to Main Dish a lot (we live in Beltline and go to Holy Grill or Red's a lot too, but those places are always ridiculously packed). On 1st avenue alone there are three breakfast places (Main Dish, Heartland Cafe and Blue Plate Diner, I think), and 1st avenue isn't as well located as Edmonton Trail.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Had a friend who said it was the best kept secret in the area.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:34 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonb View Post
Had a friend who said it was the best kept secret in the area.
it is! maybe due to the fact that is in a strip mall instead of facing Edmonton Trail. easy to miss!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 10:34 PM
The City That Moves

Does anyone know recommendations for chocolate cafe's or chocolate bars in Calgary? I've been craving something like this in Calgary for years and have not found it yet.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 7:39 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure how that place survives. Maybe it's because it's one of the few dessert places in the area. I've only been a couple of times the past few years and their dessert options were not great. I didn't find the atmosphere that appealing either (not particularly comfortable seating, industrial type lighting etc...).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation