HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 1:07 AM

Vancouver aims for wireless network in downtown core

Vancouver aims for wireless network in downtown core

The City of Vancouver is looking to create a wireless broadband network throughout the downtown core.

On Tuesday, the city issued a request for "expressions of interest" from organizations willing to build and finance the internet network on the provincial website BC Bid, where government contracts are posted.

If approved, the pilot project would cover 2.3 square kilometres of downtown Vancouver.

Councillor Peter Ladner, who has been pushing the idea, told CBC News the challenge is to find partners to fund the project because the city doesn't want to bill taxpayers.

"We are looking for somebody who wants to come forward with a business plan where the payment would either be coming from consumer subscribers, or from some company or public institution," said Ladner.

City staff threw cold water on previous attempts to set up a broadband network, arguing it would be impossible to implement without a cost to taxpayers.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...rproposal.html

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:07 AM

Great idea, I say just bill the tax payers since broad band is cheap and useless to most but interent now a days is a must have to be able to function in todays society.

My old town of Prague tried doing this but the EU said they cant because it would hurt interent providers because the city would have a unfair advantage providing a free service with tax payers money.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:41 AM
loafing in lotusland

If they implemented an 802.16 network (Wi-Max) it would be fairly low-cost, I would think. I mean, the range on those is quite a lot better. Of course, that would mean that people would need to have a Wi-Max card in their computer, but that would at least challenge the idea that it's unfair.

Of course, Rogers does use this technology (using its cell towers)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:49 AM

BC Wireless had a software and hardware platform ready, but the city wasn't interested unless it was of no cost to them. We had some pretty good ideas for using it beyond classic internet access and focus on more of a community/local business aspects depending on your location (along with other network services)
However, it sounds like it will go to some company that will probably get free use of city property and provide the bare minimum access to non-paying subscribers.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Great idea, I say just bill the tax payers since broad band is cheap and useless to most but interent now a days is a must have to be able to function in todays society.

My old town of Prague tried doing this but the EU said they cant because it would hurt interent providers because the city would have a unfair advantage providing a free service with tax payers money.
Broadband is useless but internet is a must have? Not sure I understand.

Personally, I'm really against this if it costs the taxpayer anything. You might as well start paying for everyone's cell phone bill.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 5:29 PM

i don't really understand the purpose of having a wireless network for everyone. everyone who lives downtown already has internet access at home. and everyone who works downtown has internet at work. and these days, a lot of people have mobile internet on their phones. so unless you're planning on bringing your laptop out to coal harbour for your lunch break, i don't see much benefit in all of this.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:38 PM

Wireless has many more uses than just internet access. However, the city is a bit naive when it comes to the topic. For example, it can transport sensor, traffic, and other noncritical information for them in a secure manner instead of laying down cables or usiing costly analog proprietary wireless protocols like they do now for cameras.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
i don't really understand the purpose of having a wireless network for everyone. everyone who lives downtown already has internet access at home. and everyone who works downtown has internet at work. and these days, a lot of people have mobile internet on their phones. so unless you're planning on bringing your laptop out to coal harbour for your lunch break, i don't see much benefit in all of this.
tourism business

most cities now have free internet areas - i know portland and san francisco do

its great when staying in a hotel with a lap top

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:21 PM
Mac User

This is a really good idea. Many devices are already on the market that have built in WIFI communication functions, such as the ipod touch and iphone. In a short time from now these devices will be extremely common. The system has to be free for it to be hugely successful.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 10:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
If they implemented an 802.16 network (Wi-Max) it would be fairly low-cost, I would think. I mean, the range on those is quite a lot better. Of course, that would mean that people would need to have a Wi-Max card in their computer, but that would at least challenge the idea that it's unfair.

Of course, Rogers does use this technology (using its cell towers)
Indeed. Wi-MAX is vastly superior. As long as they don't go with the expensive bullshit that is 3G (thanks Canadian monopoly and foreign investment restrictions!) we'll be ok. Although the telecoms will try to kill it any way they can.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 11:01 AM

It's not as simple as "implement Wi-Max." You need to buy up frequency licenses, and pass through a bunch of hurdles which only huge corporations can. There are also laws on how the 2.4GHz/5GHz unlicensed bands can be used and to the power they can transmit at (regulated by Industry Canada). Unless the city implements Wi-Max with the power of a household router, it cannot be realistically used. This only leaves 802.11a/b/g and it is probably limited to 802.11b/g by the RFP if they require compatibility with most widely used standards.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 9:26 PM

Rogers and Bell have rolled out a joint WiMAX network.

http://www.inukshuk.ca/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 2:01 PM

What about 802.11n?

That Inukshuk thing has been available for almost 2 years now, hasn't it? I remember trying it out a couple Christmases ago.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 3:53 PM

Depends on the RFP...but N has not been finalized as a standard yet.

Inukshuk was developed by Fido some time ago, but was stopped for some reason IIRC

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 3:58 PM
Registered Luser

Zivian, I suspect the city is thinking 802.11a/b/g, although who knows if the city is really thinking.

You can bank on the fact that Rogers, Bell, et al will fight this tooth and nail. Expect frantic hand waving and dire, yet baseless predictions if this service comes to pass.

On another note, I have Rogers Wi-MAX service here in my office in Calgary and it works extremely well, even deep inside most buildings.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 11:49 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I know there was a gastown group that was helping to create one...

I want our transit system to have one T_T

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 4:18 AM

^^ Yes there is, but I think their solution is not something the city would consider. IIRC they want a mesh network which would be able to carry internet access. However, I believe they did answer the cities' RFP.
As for transit, there would certainly need to use a commercial backhaul service in order to accomplish it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues