HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail-Insider View Post
Although downtown Edmonton could lose much of its upscale retail in the next few years
What a dreadful way to start a Monday.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 3:18 PM
Community Guy

'Could'

Downtown Edmonton 'could' also gain new upscale retail.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
'Could'

Downtown Edmonton 'could' also gain new upscale retail.
Indeed. Katz is going to make that happen. And DECL and the social network DT is powerful...

I am not concerned about Holts - if they move out - most assuredly Nordstroms will move in. Downtown is where all urban growth is - and I suspect suburban growth will be the new mall at EIA and buzz about a new mall on QEII heading out of town. WEM may be limited in the draw in future.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Indeed. Katz is going to make that happen. And DECL and the social network DT is powerful...

I am not concerned about Holts - if they move out - most assuredly Nordstroms will move in. Downtown is where all urban growth is - and I suspect suburban growth will be the new mall at EIA and buzz about a new mall on QEII heading out of town. WEM may be limited in the draw in future.
Not really as the New Mall out at EIA will be more of an outlet mall and not where a Holt's/Saks/Nordstrom will go which are not planning Outlet locations. They will strongly consider WEM due to sales per square foot there. However DT will be strongly considered due to what is happening downtown.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:23 PM

Holt expansion in Calgary, including new cafe. I wonder if we'll hear of Edmonton Holt's plans soon.
http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...enfrew-calgary

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:53 PM

Londonderry Mall getting $130 million makeover
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...637/story.html

Quote:
EDMONTON - Lon­don­derry Mall will under­go a $130-mil­lion reno­va­tion that will in­clude a new food court and “ex­cit­ing new re­tail­ers,” the mall’s man­age­ment an­nounced Thurs­day.
Quote:
The reno­va­tion pro­ject is a part­ner­ship be­tween MMC Architects and GH+A Design.

All com­mon areas, in­clud­ing en­tran­ces, floor­ing, store­fronts, es­cal­ators, ele­va­tors, wash­rooms, ceil­ings and seat­ing areas will be reno­vat­ed.

The food court will be moved from its cur­rent lo­ca­tion on the second floor to the west side of the build­ing, with more seat­ing and its own ex­ter­ior en­trance. The space, de­signed to look like an in­ter­ior ter­race, will fea­ture an abun­dance of nat­ural light.

All in­ter­ior and ex­ter­ior light­ing fix­tures, in­clud­ing those in park­ing areas, will be up­graded to en­ergy-ef­fi­cient LED. A new se­cur­ity sur­veil­lance sys­tem will pro­vide high-def­in­ition cover­age of in­ter­ior and ex­ter­ior com­mon areas.

En­tran­ces will be trans­formed into “bold archi­tec­tur­al” fea­tures with well-de­fined drop-off and pick­up areas.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:55 PM
Community Guy

I guess they needed to something with that mall... but 130mil into that there... wow.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 7:20 PM
Change is good

I wish our suburban malls tried to incorporate residential more often, especially if the mall is also a transit hub. Why couldnt/wouldnt a mall build something above the parking lot/garages? Is it zoning?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM
Community Guy

Not their business, but yes... we will start to see intensification and mixed use on these kinds of sites.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM

I can't help but wonder how much upgrading City Centre Mall will cost

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM

Its been pretty quiet - the pig was painted with some lipstick but still needs a paper bag over it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 4:37 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I wish our suburban malls tried to incorporate residential more often, especially if the mall is also a transit hub. Why couldnt/wouldnt a mall build something above the parking lot/garages? Is it zoning?
Structured parking @ $48,000/ stall, give or take

You'll see it at some point, but there's too many good sites that don't require that type of effort.

I still think Capilano is a good spot for a Brentwood type of development, but we're a long ways off till then

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 4:59 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I can't help but wonder how much upgrading City Centre Mall will cost
I thought I heard they were putting $30M? into it? Or at least that was the plan.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
I thought I heard they were putting $30M? into it? Or at least that was the plan.
$30M will not buy much of anything...they need to spend serious money. If they are not then ECC will devolve further into nothingness.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:44 PM
HVAC guru

Just relax.. all in due time

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 8:56 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail-Insider View Post
Question to everyone: what can be done to re-invigorate downtown Edmonton's retail? I'm going to write an article with some of the better suggestions provided here on this forum, and I'll reference sources.
More residents, higher incomes and critical mass. I think the arena will definitely help attract more people downtown. The population numbers for downtown are on the rise. I assume that the average income is also on the rise considering the increasing number of professionals choosing to live downtown.

I would be VERY surprised if Holts went to WEM. I know WEM generates the strong numbers, I just think it would be a poor move on their part. Maybe 10 years ago, but not the way things are trending.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:16 PM
Derp

Sounds like Forever 21 will be opening a 14,537 SF space at Kingsway Mall for early 2015

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Sounds like Forever 21 will be opening a 14,537 SF space at Kingsway Mall for early 2015
I see their WEM closed?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 9:14 PM
Derp

Closed store remodel at WEM, should be done before Dec/14

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 9:19 PM
HVAC guru

Kingsway is going to need to ramp it up if Londonderry's reno turns out as nice as it sounds like it will be. Chatted with some old friends at 20vic at the NASCA golf tourney the other week, they plan on really dressing up that asset and are hoping to pull in some big names

And thus goes the neverending cycle of retail

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton