HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 6:47 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Post 2000!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:32 PM

Qplex information page: http://142.166.3.145/qplex.cfm

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:39 PM

Holy crap, the Qplex is the coolest proposed development in the province, how did that happen? lol

The building looks awesome, the pool design is amazing, it uses geothermal heating and cooling located under a soccer field, uses rainwater for graywater, solar water heating, will be at least LEED Silver or Gold, the list goes on and on! The site plan even involves the remediation of a former sewage lagoon site into a trail and beach area!

A+ to Quispam on this one, it looks great.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:49 PM

Maybe this will lead to a Quispamsis tax rate creep that will move people in to Saint John.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonPlaceorThing View Post
Maybe this will lead to a Quispamsis tax rate creep that will move people in to Saint John.
You never know,
I still say, we should take the tolls off Harbour Bridge, and move them to the highway.
You can enter into SJ without fee.
But like the PEI toll, you have to pay when you leave the city.
Good way to generate revenue, and make the moochers pay up

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonPlaceorThing View Post
Taxes have little to do with why people are in Quispam and Rothesay as versus Saint John. It all has to do with quality of living, having your kids get green space to play in. And having peace and quiet, fires in the backyard in the summer, an outdoor rink to take the kids skating on, and summer temperatures 10 degrees warmer.

Closing down firetrap arenas in the City, while new state of the art facilities are opening up elsewhere is no way to attract families. All the building is great, but Saint Johns facilities for quality of life are also going to have to pick up. Otherwise all the economic activity in the area is just going to result in increasing the population in the KV, as versus the City.

A few comments from someone who moved from Westmorland Road and it's increasing noise and lights, to Quispam 14 months ago.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 9:29 PM

haha wow, We are broke.
I love it.
Perhaps a toll on the highway would help pay for the treatment plant we need. lol

Archaic water system to blame for boil order: officials
Last Updated: Friday, February 15, 2008 | 5:08 PM AT
CBC News
Health officials in Saint John are blaming an inadequate water treatment system for a boil water order that is affecting 40,000 people in the southern New Brunswick city.

Wednesday's winter storm dumped 70 millimetres of rain on the city, creating flooding and stirring up sediment in Latimer Lake. The lake serves as the water reservoir for residents living east of the Reversing Falls Bridge.

"It [the sediment in the water] diminishes the effectiveness of chlorine as a disinfectant," said Dr. Scott Giffin, a medical officer for health for Region 2 in Saint John. "It makes it difficult to detect bacteria in the system."

A modern water treatment system may have prevented the problem, said Brent McGovern, the city's water and waste manager. But Saint John's current system doesn't do much more than filter out sticks and chlorinate the water, he said.

"We recognize we need to have higher levels of treatment, and higher levels of treatment may have avoided a boil water advisory," McGovern said.

City council has said that getting a new water treatment system is a priority and has been examining moving forward with a public-private partnership. But the construction of two new filtration plants is estimated to have a price tag of between $110 and $140 million for the city and some officials have said it would not be financially feasible until at least 2012.

Continue Article

City keeping close watch

For now, the city will just monitor the situation closely, said McGovern. He said hopefully the boil water advisory will be lifted by Monday morning.

Until the order is lifted, residents and businesses are being advised to boil water for at least one minute before drinking, making ice, washing vegetables or brushing teeth. Bathing and washing dishes with soapy water is safe.

A weather-related boil order in the city is rare, McGovern said. "I don't recall Saint John ever having a boil water order as a result of turbidity level increases." (Turbidity is a condition of water that has been stirred up and made cloudy by silt or organic matter).

The order is an inconvenience, said Charlene McDonough, who loaded up her car with six dozen bottles of drinking water to get her through the weekend.

It has meant good business for those selling the fluid, said Robbie Barr, a grocery store manager in Saint John.

The store has already sold out of its four litre jugs of water and customers are now stocking up on the 18 litre water cooler-style containers.

"Everybody's got a bottle of water in their cart," Barr said. "We sell a lot of water but it's definitely moving out way quicker than it normally would."

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:10 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Qplex information page: http://142.166.3.145/qplex.cfm

Nice. Too bad they couldn't put the pool indoors so it could be used in Winter.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:37 AM
Unregistered Loser

New Dobson Steel:

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 8:20 PM
Believer in the future

North Union Development

I'm sure some people have seen this slide show however, for the benefit of those who have not, there are some really great artist conceptions here: (You will need Power Point to view the slide show).

http://www.saintjohn.ca/documents/no...pt#256,1,Slide 1

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 4:36 PM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
haha wow, We are broke.
I love it.
Perhaps a toll on the highway would help pay for the treatment plant we need. lol

Archaic water system to blame for boil order: officials
Last Updated: Friday, February 15, 2008 | 5:08 PM AT
CBC News
Health officials in Saint John are blaming an inadequate water treatment system for a boil water order that is affecting 40,000 people in the southern New Brunswick city.

Wednesday's winter storm dumped 70 millimetres of rain on the city, creating flooding and stirring up sediment in Latimer Lake. The lake serves as the water reservoir for residents living east of the Reversing Falls Bridge. ."

mmmm....with 30 more mm's of rain coming tomorrow, be interesting to see what happnes next...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 7:20 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

That Qplex proposal is looking really high-end! Should be a great addition to the community. It'd be nice to see a parks and rec development of that calibre in the city itself (whatever happened to the proposal for rec facilities that went along with the Racino plan?). One can dream, anyway.

Here are some photos of residential construction on Tudor Lane in Millidgeville, taken on Friday afternoon:

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 9:10 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
That Qplex proposal is looking really high-end! Should be a great addition to the community. It'd be nice to see a parks and rec development of that calibre in the city itself (whatever happened to the proposal for rec facilities that went along with the Racino plan?). One can dream, anyway.

Here are some photos of residential construction on Tudor Lane in Millidgeville, taken on Friday afternoon:

For a minute I thought that was the newer Forest Hills development; the houses look similar...

I think the mile one has begun ground work. After passing Strescon on the left traveling West, it looks like crews are building the West-bound off ramp. It'll be neat to see the scope of the project once it really gets going. Staples is going to be moving further East since their current location will be a road.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
For a minute I thought that was the newer Forest Hills development; the houses look similar...

I think the mile one has begun ground work. After passing Strescon on the left traveling West, it looks like crews are building the West-bound off ramp. It'll be neat to see the scope of the project once it really gets going. Staples is going to be moving further East since their current location will be a road.
I had not heard anything about staples moving. I did hear at one point it was the idea to have the road elevated between superstore and staples... but I am also very out of date and out of the loop on that project. Would staples be headed to East Point?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 9:30 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
I had not heard anything about staples moving. I did hear at one point it was the idea to have the road elevated between superstore and staples... but I am also very out of date and out of the loop on that project. Would staples be headed to East Point?
I'm not sure about East Point; I've spoken to the manager and employees and all they know is they'll likely get a new building out of the deal. Who knows, they could change the off ramp location again, but this sounds final. To date, the manager hasn't received word about moving yet.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 10:00 PM

are there any plans/diagrams floating around of the planned Mile One interchange?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 11:39 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
are there any plans/diagrams floating around of the planned Mile One interchange?
I was looking (in vain) for something just like that this afternoon. Maybe there's something on the city website.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
I'm not sure about East Point; I've spoken to the manager and employees and all they know is they'll likely get a new building out of the deal. Who knows, they could change the off ramp location again, but this sounds final. To date, the manager hasn't received word about moving yet.
I had no idea they would be going through Staples. Hopefully they obliterate that stupid Tim Hortons drive-through, that creates one of the worst traffic flows in the City with people turning against traffic.

An elevated roadway between Staples and the Super Center would look awful.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
I had no idea they would be going through Staples. Hopefully they obliterate that stupid Tim Hortons drive-through, that creates one of the worst traffic flows in the City with people turning against traffic.

An elevated roadway between Staples and the Super Center would look awful.

The Tims of course would have to be gone as well. I knew from the get go that Staples would have to go. As well i would have to disagree, I dont think an elevated roadway would not look awful at all,

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 4:03 AM
Unregistered Loser

Big subdivision, east-side style
Development: Builder plans on constructing 200 homes in Saint John

John Mazerolle
Telegraph-Journal
Published Saturday February 16th, 2008
Appeared on page B3

SAINT JOHN - A planned east side subdivision could be the site of up to 200 new homes in the next five years.

Developer John Hart plans to build one home a week in the area between Grandview Avenue, Boyaner Crescent and Wyatt Crescent.

The mostly single-family homes could start going up as early as next month, if the city's planning advisory committee and common council consent to the development.

"We need new construction," said realtor Harold Coughlan, who does the developing and marketing for John Hart Ltd. "There's a need for it and there's been a demand for it." Coughlan said he already has people on a waiting list, even though they haven't put a sign up yet.

Jim Baird, the city's commissioner of planning, said a project of this scope tends to hit the city once ever two or three years. He said the most recent comparable development is the expansion of Forest Hills by developer Bob Darling.

The land in the area had been owned by the federal government and was eventually used for what was then known as the 'east Saint John land assembly,' Baird said. It led to the development of Heather Way, Boyaner Crescent, and Wyatt Crescent.

Then, in the 1980s, Scott Bros. Ltd. bought and developed the lands roughly between Eagle Boulevard and Simonds High School.

Hart plans to continue to expand the neighbourhood.

Baird said it will be a boost to the area and shouldn't garner much resistance, beyond the typical concerns about any development, such as traffic and drainage.

"This is almost exclusively a residential area and they're proposing to do exclusively residential," he said, adding that it was very similar to the development Scott Bros. kicked off 20 years ago.

Like Baird, Coughlan said he's not expecting any big problems during the approval process.

If the subdivision gets the go-ahead, the first home could have someone living in it by May, Coughlan said. Then one house will be built each week.

Hart is "certainly looking at this as a great opportunity to help facilitate new construction in the city of Saint John," Coughlan said.

The advisory committee meeting is Tuesday, Feb. 26, at 6 p.m. in the council chamber. Common council's public hearing is March 3 at 7 p.m., also in the council chamber.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces