HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Most connected to Asia?
San Francisco and the Bay area 17 17.17%
Los Angeles 23 23.23%
NYC 2 2.02%
Seattle 3 3.03%
Vancouver (BC) 26 26.26%
Toronto 5 5.05%
Sydney 5 5.05%
Melbourne 0 0%
Honolulu, Hawaii 12 12.12%
Other 6 6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 9:38 PM
BANNED

Asia

I voted L.A. but it's probably N.Y. when you consider all of Asia and not just what we all consider to be 'Asian'.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 9:58 PM

My vote goes to Greater Los Angeles... at least in the US.

And, in the San Gabriel Valley, it's possible for many people not to ever have to speak English, even at the workplace. You get a whole cacophony of various Asian languages when traveling through the SGV. And Asian influence is so prevalent here, no one gives it a second thought when you see non-Asians asking for ube cakes or xiao long bao, and referring to it as such. There's such a diversity of all kinds of Asians here.

Probably an outdated article:

https://www.kcet.org/socal-focus/la-...-asian-america

And from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...sian_Americans

In the US, by sheer numbers, LA tops the list; percentage-wise, Honolulu does.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Seattle lacks India connections.
Amazon and Microsoft engineers would beg to differ.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 12:18 AM

Los Angeles, easily.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 1:17 AM
Paramoderator

Gotta be LA with the exception of Indian people.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post

I voted L.A. but it's probably N.Y. when you consider all of Asia and not just what we all consider to be 'Asian'.
Well, if we include all of Asia, for origins in the Indian subcontinent, NYC easily leads, but LA also has a strong Middle Eastern element (eg. Persians).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Honolulu has the highest percentage of those with an Asian ethnicity, but it is mostly "Pan-Asianism," in that they all blend together into the local Hawaiian culture. Hawaiian born Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, etc. are less distinct from each other than say a Chinese American born in San Gabriel and a Filipino in Daly City.

On a sidenote, one thing I find interesting is how mainland US Filipinos seem to have an affinity for Hawaiian culture (reggae, food, etc.), whereas Chinese, Japanese, and other Asian Americans are not as much so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Honolulu is kinda its own culture, IMO. I agree it's more Pan-Asian, and not really immigrant-oriented.

My vote is for Vancouver.
Well, Hawaii's Asian immigration was proportionally more from the past generations (early 1900s, 1800s, even some as far as the late 1700s) in colonial times, and many Asian Hawaiians have mixed ancestries (with one another and with native Hawaiians), just like how many white Americans are a mix of European national origins.

Unlike on the mainland, I think it's one of the few places in the US where these older immigrants' descendants outnumber first or second generation Americans (not even California I don't think has such an "old" Asian American community).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Sometimes London is even a connecting point from Asia to the US. Seattle lacks India connections, and anecdotally the Seattle-London route has a heavy connecting contingent from India, though it's not the shortest route.
What seems notable is that even though Seattle doesn't have a strong Indian presence, Vancouver, BC to the north has had a strong Indian presence (Sikhs) for multiple generations.

I think Washington state also had a similar history with Punjabi Sikhs as BC, but the population wasn't as numerous or was driven out by 20th century anti-immigrant tensions/riots. These riots happened in BC and California too, but for some reason BC and California's early 20th century Indian or Asian communities more broadly lasted more to the present day than Washington state's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Interesting that LA has lots of Far Eastern people (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans etc.) and Middle Eastern people (eg. Persians, Arabs, Armenians etc.), but not many people from the Indian subcontinent (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis etc.), which is in between the Far East and Middle East.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:40 AM
The City

Sorry LA, but not even close.

It's either New York or London.

Mic drop...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Looking at the actual numbers, I would think that there were more Indians in LA/SoCal. I grew up and went to school with a lot of them and have worked with quite a number of them. There are also quite a number of Sikh temples and Gurdwaras, and of course there's the Jain temple in Buena Park. I see a lot of Indians in Pasadena, and of course there are the Indian markets and restaurants.

That's why I was surprised to learn some years ago that LA doesn't even have an Indian consulate. In fact the only Indian consulate west of the Rockies is in San Francisco.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:50 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Looking at the actual numbers, I would think that there were more Indians in LA/SoCal. I grew up and went to school with a lot of them and have worked with quite a number of them. There are also quite a number of Sikh temples and Gurdwaras, and of course there's the Jain temple in Buena Park. I see a lot of Indians in Pasadena, and of course there are the Indian markets and restaurants.

That's why I was surprised to learn some years ago that LA doesn't even have an Indian consulate. In fact the only Indian consulate west of the Rockies is in San Francisco.
Well the Bay Area has twice as many Indians...

Indian Population, 2016
San Francisco Bay CSA 400,617
Los Angeles CSA 201,175

But 201,000 certainly warrants a consulate imo

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:25 AM

If we’re going by foreign-born communities, the latest estimate for London was 934,000 which compares to 815,986 for New York and 312,135 for Los Angeles. Not too surprised that there are more air-links either due to general connectivity.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:58 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Sorry LA, but not even close.

It's either New York or London.

Mic drop...
Actually, in the case of NY and LA, it's actually very close, oh and the Bay Area crushes them both as far as Asian visibility.

Asian Population of all Racial Combinations, 2016
Los Angeles CSA 2,792,000...14.9% of the total population
New York CSA 2,625,000...11.0% of the total population
San Francisco CSA 2,384,000...27.2% of the total population

Asian Only Population, 2016
Los Angeles CSA 2,474,000...13.2% of the total population
New York CSA 2,377,000...10.0% of the total population
San Francisco CSA 2,106,000...24.0% of the total population

Born in Asia, 2016
New York CSA 1,669,000...7.0% of the total population
Los Angeles CSA 1,619,000...8.6% of the total population
San Francisco CSA 1,359,000...15.5% of the total population

And while Asians as a race might be more visible in Honolulu, the proportion of Asian immigrants against the total population is exactly the same as the Bay Area:

Born in Asia, 2016
Island of Oahu 154,000...15.5% of the total population

I think people are giving Honolulu a little too much credit as far as ' direct/ first hand connection' to Asia.
Population Age 5+ that Speaks Only English, 2016
Island of Oahu 71%
New York CSA 63%
San Francisco CSA 56%
Los Angeles 49%

socioeconomically speaking, it's the Bay Area.

Asian Households, 2016
Los Angeles CSA 787,539
New York CSA 743,557
San Francisco CSA 680,545
Island of Oahu 138,191

Aggregate Asian Household Income, 2016
San Francisco CSA $94.181 Billion
New York CSA $88.010 Billion
Los Angeles CSA $81.257 Billion
Island of Oahu $14.136 Billion

Median Asian Household Income, 2016
San Francisco CSA $110,612
New York CSA $86,000
Island of Oahu $81,432
Los Angeles CSA $76,651

Asian Households Earning $200,000+, 2016
San Francisco CSA 153,697
New York CSA 117,936
Los Angeles CSA 92,408
Island of Oahu 14,101

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

No, LA is pretty weak with Indo-Pak. That’s where Chicago does well. Chicago meanwhile trails the coastal cities with Chinese population (although it holds up better than one would think, actually).

But New York absolutely blows away the rest of the US in Chinese population. It’s ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:00 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Actually, in the case of NY and LA, it's actually very close, oh and the Bay Area crushes them both as far as Asian visibility.

Asian Population of all Racial Combinations, 2016
Los Angeles CSA 2,792,000...14.9% of the total population
New York CSA 2,625,000...11.0% of the total population
San Francisco CSA 2,384,000...27.2% of the total population

Asian Only Population, 2016
Los Angeles CSA 2,474,000...13.2% of the total population
New York CSA 2,377,000...10.0% of the total population
San Francisco CSA 2,106,000...24.0% of the total population

Born in Asia, 2016
New York CSA 1,669,000...7.0% of the total population
Los Angeles CSA 1,619,000...8.6% of the total population

And while Asians as a race might be more visible in Honolulu, the proportion of Asian immigrants against the total population is exactly the same as the Bay Area:

Born in Asia, 2016
Island of Oahu 154,000...15.5% of the total population

I think people are giving Honolulu a little too much credit as far as ' direct/ first hand connection' to Asia.
Population Age 5+ that Speaks Only English, 2016
Island of Oahu 71%
New York CSA 63%
San Francisco CSA 56%
Los Angeles 49%

socioeconomically speaking, it's the Bay Area.

Asian Households, 2016
Los Angeles CSA 787,539
New York CSA 743,557
San Francisco CSA 680,545
Island of Oahu 138,191

Aggregate Asian Household Income, 2016
San Francisco CSA $94.181 Billion
New York CSA $88.010 Billion
Los Angeles CSA $81.257 Billion
Island of Oahu $14.136 Billion

Median Asian Household Income, 2016
San Francisco CSA $110,612
New York CSA $86,000
Island of Oahu $81,432
Los Angeles CSA $76,651

Asian Households Earning $200,000+, 2016
San Francisco CSA 153,697
New York CSA 117,936
Los Angeles CSA 92,408
Island of Oahu 14,101
Ok, I think the mistake I made was thinking mostly of Chinese population, where NYC just blows everyone away. But if you include other groups (Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indian, etc etc etc) LA is much more balanced and seems to make up the difference

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:36 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

It's hard get an exact comparison between different countries, based on differing urban definitions, census/estimate years, and differences in racial identity; but just throwing out some numbers for the Toronto CMA (pop. 6 million), from the 2016 census:

South Asian: 973,225
East Asian: 721,375
Southeast Asian: 388,010
West Asian & Arab*: 229,370

Total: 2,311,980

If including the entire GTHA (the entire contiguous urban area - pop. 7 million), the numbers rise to:

South Asian: 1,020,310
East Asian: 747,280
Southeast Asian: 412,870
West Asian & Arab: 252,300

Total: 2,432,760

(*Admittedly, this is flawed as it would also include some people of North African descent, but they're fairly few in number)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:39 PM

Does the Western world now exclude Europe?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:30 AM

Looks like the poll's neck and neck between LA and Vancouver, the two big west coast cities in the US and Canada respectively.

Honolulu is the next most chosen option so far, but I think even though it has proportionally the largest share of its citizens being of Asian descent, fewer people are picking it since the Asian-descended people are less connected to modern Asia in comparison to the mainland North American cities having many more recent immigrants and kids of immigrants.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:50 AM
BANNED

Asia, as a description of race or ethnicity is a pretty stupid way to slam ethnicities that are no co mutual connectivity together but just raw putting all of them in the same pot might be convenient for a cartographer because they live in the same hemisphere.

As some one who has lived and experienced With the Indian born woman in her native land... there is often a disconnect from Asia the continent. There is no connection in the multi years with her with any East Asian county from China to wherever. India is is own beast and quite frankly cannot out just lump them in as whole with the other 2 billion Asians in the world.

Assist is not one race or language but thousands

Even India alone has multi laguages that are not directly related to each other

There’s a big north language family that is indo European vs what is the native languages in the south of the sub contunate

Especially in the western in northwestern parts of India there’s a realization of the true with necessity of in the Young’s which goes back to European roots it’s kind of complicated And Arian but I’m sure TUP kind of understands at least a bit around where I am coming from.

and not really accurate perception of what an Asian Defined person is

I’m just rambling now but India and packistan and Bangladesh’s alone are their own topic that cannot be described in one simple rebuttle or post

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:54 AM
BANNED

I’m sorry I dictated this on my phone and one long rambling speech and I am not gonna go back and fix my correction errors anyone who knows me would kind of get the gist of what I meant an if you don’t understand what o mean aske me what You do not understand and I will answer you in a polite manner

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Asia, as a description of race or ethnicity is a pretty stupid way to slam ethnicities that are no co mutual connectivity together but just raw putting all of them in the same pot might be convenient for a cartographer because they live in the same hemisphere.

As some one who has lived and experienced With the Indian born woman in her native land... there is often a disconnect from Asia the continent. There is no connection in the multi years with her with any East Asian county from China to wherever. India is is own beast and quite frankly cannot out just lump them in as whole with the other 2 billion Asians in the world.

Assist is not one race or language but thousands

Even India alone has multi laguages that are not directly related to each other

There’s a big north language family that is indo European vs what is the native languages in the south of the sub contunate

Especially in the western in northwestern parts of India there’s a realization of the true with necessity of in the Young’s which goes back to European roots it’s kind of complicated And Arian but I’m sure TUP kind of understands at least a bit around where I am coming from.

and not really accurate perception of what an Asian Defined person is

I’m just rambling now but India and packistan and Bangladesh’s alone are their own topic that cannot be described in one simple rebuttle or post
I realize Asia is diverse, and so the poll obviously has some subjectivity. The same goes for Africa too.

But since Asian and African descended people are ethnic minorities in most western countries (even if they can be large minorities), they can sometimes identify as Asian-American, African-American etc, with just the continent as descriptor (same with Canadians, Australians, Brits etc.) sometimes, rather than specifically just one Asian or African ancestral origin.

Obviously, someone in the actual continent of Asia will see and be aware and connected to a lot more of the regional diversity that westerners (even westerners of Asian descent) might not.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:50 PM
The City

Actually, Indians don’t view themselves as Asians, even though they are from that continent.

And what most westerners don’t realize is that Indians are not really one people. They are a bunch of ancient kingdoms lumped together, not unlike Europe, each speaking a different language.

Some of the largest diaspora of Indians who have populated the west are Punjabi and Gujaratis. They have mostly gone to the UK, Canada, California, as well as major US cities.

Most of the food that you know of as “Indian food” is Punjabi food. It’s good. Gujarati food—not so good.

Slowly this is changing as more South Indians are migrating across the globe. Their cuisine is different—but very good. There is a lot of Islamic influence from Hyderabad,where you will get some intensely spicy meat dishes. Ok now I’m hungry

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions