HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Wow! They sure have grown! It looks like they're in 22 states now! It's nice to see organic grocery stores like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and World Market gaining so much success and popularity in this obese, high-fructose corn syrup-addicted nation. Hopefully this means it will come to Utah soon .....I mean.....dirty, rotten chains! lol

It looks like the middle of the country is deprived - it's clearly Calif-based and prevelant along both coasts.

http://www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp

It's just not fair! They will be opening 3 more in California soon, and Utah can't even have 1?? Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico have one, but Utah can't? It must be the liquor laws. Although, I heard that same excuse as to why the Cheesecake Factory wasn't here, but look who finally decided to show up amidts such strict liquor laws! Oh, how I yearn for some Coaco-covered almonds right now....or some of those organic peanut butter cups....ok, I better stop before a puddle of saliva short-cicuits my computer. *dreams of simmering lemongrass chicken*
Damn you UrbanLogic... you are making me want trader joe's right now... do you have any idea how many hours i must drive to get there? Stop tempting me before i go on a roqad trip..

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post

http://www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp

It's just not fair! They will be opening 3 more in California soon, and Utah can't even have 1?? Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico have one, but Utah can't? It must be the liquor laws. Although, I heard that same excuse as to why the Cheesecake Factory wasn't here, but look who finally decided to show up amidts such strict liquor laws!
It's not the liquor laws preventing Trader Joe's from coming here. They operate in Pennsylvania and other states, which don't allow Trader Joe's to sell wine, either.

Go to the Trader Joe's website and request a Utah location in their "suggest a location" page of their website.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Looks like the developers have change it. The older renderings showed that Phase II or 2nd buildings would look just like the first building. These ones are shorter and looks different. I thought all these buildings were going to look alike.
Not sure if I like it or not. These new buildings don't look like they are going to fit in with the first building. I could be wrong. But from that rendering it looks like of weird. IMHO
I like that phase two looks different than phase 1... It's more organic that way and I think it will make it feel more authentic than if it were all the same.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
It's not the liquor laws preventing Trader Joe's from coming here. They operate in Pennsylvania and other states, which don't allow Trader Joe's to sell wine, either.

Go to the Trader Joe's website and request a Utah location in their "suggest a location" page of their website.
Just did!! Hey, everyone who can read this post, go to http://www.traderjoes.com/contact_us_selection.html. Click the drop town dialog box and select 'Location Requests'. It will provide you with a form to send a quick message to request a location. Make sure to tell them why Utah would be a great market for them (2.3 million people along the Wasatch Front, the fastest growing state, a suburban population that is more price concious - Trader Joes is so much cheaper than Whole Foods and World Market!). If we all flood their inbox with Utah location requests, they might consider us for future expansion! The best part about Trader Joes is that it is privately owned and not a publicly traded company - making it more costomer friendly rather than shareholder friendly.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:44 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I like that phase two looks different than phase 1... It's more organic that way and I think it will make it feel more authentic than if it were all the same.

The reason why I don't like it as much as the other building is because looking at that rendering those new buildings look like they will be made from stucco.

I think that would be a big mistake on the developers behalf if Phase II is made out of stucco. While the first building is made all out of bricks. I would like to see a little "Urban Brick Town Center" just like what they were planning at first. Now with these new plans it now looks like these guys are just trying to save money and build a cheap stucco project that will just end up looking like gateway.

Thoughts?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

The reason why I don't like it as much as the other building is because looking at that rendering those new buildings look like they will be made from stucco.

I think that would be a big mistake on the developers behalf if Phase II is made out of stucco. While the first building is made all out of bricks. I would like to see a little "Urban Brick Town Center" just like what they were planning at first. Now with these new plans it now looks like these guys are just trying to save money and build a cheap stucco project that will just end up looking like gateway.

Thoughts?
Actually very little of the facade of these buildings will include stucco.
It doesn't convey very well in the rendering, but the only stucco will be the cream-colored areas circled below. The rest of the elevation will be brick that matches the existing building, and the orange and brown colored sections shown will be painted hardie-board.

Most of the stucco will be limited to the alley side of the building.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:57 PM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:22 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I really like the change in design. I think it gives it a much more geniune neighborhood feel to it. I look at like this, cities and neighborhoods develop over time and they have character when there are different exterior elements used and different designs used.

I like that the height is less as you get away from the main corner, it helps add to the intimacy of the street and provides some different depths, rather than just the five story flat wall. Don't get me wrong about the current building either though, I love that building and the condos inside are very nice. If you haven't had a chance to look at them you should find some time to jump on Trax and go check them out.

I'm not sure if all the first floor is going to be retail, but I don't think that it really has to be. If there are a few more corner buildings similar to the existing one, that will provide some nice retail space for the entire area. Maybe the new units will have some two story live work, which will allow some people to possibly open a retail or gallery spot on the ground floor. I really think this has the potential to become a VERY vibrant neighborhood in the valley.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I'm not sure if all the first floor is going to be retail, but I don't think that it really has to be. If there are a few more corner buildings similar to the existing one, that will provide some nice retail space for the entire area. Maybe the new units will have some two story live work, which will allow some people to possibly open a retail or gallery spot on the ground floor. I really think this has the potential to become a VERY vibrant neighborhood in the valley.
The corner units of the new townhomes will have a separate retail space on the main level, and the remaining units facing the street will be live/work units that have alley loaded garages and main level flex rooms that can be used as additional living space, offices or can be used for home-based occupanices.

Last edited by arkhitektor; Jan 22, 2009 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 2:39 AM

Sandy's Broadway theater stalls in sluggish economy

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11539665

Suburbanites will have to wait a little longer to see Broadway shows in Sandy.

Mayor Tom Dolan said The Proscenium commercial project - and its 2,700 seat playhouse - is "on hold."

Orem-based developer Scott McQuarrie had planned to debut the first phase of his $600 million-plus mixed-use development, including the $55 million mega-theater, in fall 2011. Construction was scheduled to start this spring.

"I don't know if they can reach those target dates," Dolan said. "For now, there's no financing in the marketplace for anyone building anything."

McQuarrie, principal of BTS Investments and Proscenium Development Inc., did not return several calls seeking comment.

Nick Duerksen, Sandy's assistant community development director, confirmed the project, which features three 30- to 40-story towers, has stalled because of financing difficulties. But, he said, the scope of the 2.3 million-square-foot undertaking remains unchanged.

"They have not talked to us about any kind of scaling back," Duerksen said. "Our understanding is they still intend to move ahead with the design as presented."

That design includes two hotels, offices, upscale condos, restaurants and additional arts amenities, including a black-box theater and a performing-arts school. Dolan said McQuarrie could start with a six-story building that is part of a later phase instead of a 40-story skyscraper.

Salt Lake City also plans to build a mega-theater,

an $81.5 million, 2,400-seat-plus performance hall expected to debut on Main Street in 2012. It's doubtful the Salt Lake area market could support two theaters of that size, which would be forced to compete for touring Broadway acts.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Actually very little of the facade of these buildings will include stucco.
It doesn't convey very well in the rendering, but the only stucco will be the cream-colored areas circled below. The rest of the elevation will be brick that matches the existing building, and the orange and brown colored sections shown will be painted hardie-board.

Most of the stucco will be limited to the alley side of the building.
Thanks for that explanation Ark. With your description I now have a good idea of the finished product. IMO this will be a very attractive project.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 6:16 AM
BANNED

my lil'sis an her roommate are moving into the Bhirkhill-Fireclay condo's this weekend!!!! they're really nice...only about 6 other people, are even moved in,an living there.They have a top floor condo,it's 4 floors including the commercial space at street level. Only 1 elevator at the north east end of that first building, not to mention the "Sundowners" biker club southeast of the building.(it's like 50-yards from the front door of the Bhirkhill building)....Hope it's an "OUT-WITH-THE-OLD-IN-WITH-THE-NEW" sort-a thang,but who know's.Maybe i'll get my kid-sis a hog to ride-on....lol.peace-ya........ess-eel-cee 4 life babeeee!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:54 AM
BANNED

I was reading a real estate blog and came across this article about South Jordan, which I thought was pretty comical, and thought you all might get a kick out of it:

Quote:
South Jordan, Utah - It’s only getting better*

The words South Jordan used to bring to mind images of endless fields and few people. But in the last 20 years or so, the city has changed dramatically from ‘way out in the middle of nowhere’, to a booming and desirable location. And this city is only getting started.

Its central location is what many people are growing to love about South Jordan. Now that Salt Lake’s west side is developing like never before, South Jordan is no longer at the far reaches of the valley. It’s about 15 minutes away from downtown Salt Lake on a no traffic day, and only minutes away from the rest of Salt Lake’s cities. Since many people in the south valley don’t even go downtown anymore, South Jordan feels more centrally located now than ever before.

http://theutahrealestateblog.com/200...ng-better.html
Central location?!... central to what?

Why haven't I heard about these "no traffic days?" Do these happen on Thursdays?

Since many people in the south valley don't even go downtown anymore--even though it takes only 15 minutes on a no traffic day to get there--(but why go Downtown when we have Sandy for a neighbor?) it's easy to just forget about Salt Lake (while still mooching off it's name) and pretend that South Jordan is in the center of it all!

Last edited by urbanboy; Jan 24, 2009 at 10:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 12:43 PM

Community center add-on awaits OK -
$7M project » Sandy will decide in two months whether to build on to Alta Canyon facility.

http://www.sltrib.com/southvalley/ci_11522273

Courtesy of Sandy City Parks and Recreation Department. If approved by the Sandy City Council, the 32,300-square-foot addition to the Alta Canyon Community Center would begin some time in March or April.

...The project consists of adding 32,300 square feet to the community center's existing 21,400 square feet, more than doubling the area. The addition would include a larger main area, classrooms, new offices, a double gymnasium and indoor swimming area, said Dan Medina, superintendent at Sandy City Parks and Recreation...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 12:52 PM

Critics fear development would dwarf Park City's Main Street - Treasure Hill » Developers say 110 acres of open space is a good trade-off.

By Christopher Smart
The Salt Lake Tribune

Park City is atwitter over a 1 million-square-foot proposal dubbed Treasure Hill that would encapsulate lodging, shops and parking adjacent to the town's historic district.

A citizens group calling itself Treasure Hill Impact Neighborhood Coalition, or THINC, has launched a letter and e-mail campaign aimed at raising red flags with Park City officials who recently began the formal review process -- one that promises to be long and contentious.

Letters have peppered the pages of the local Park Record newspaper, saying such things as "it is way too big," and "it will change the character of our city."

As planned, the project -- estimated to cost $250 million -- would run west from Lowell Avenue and up slope on what today is an empty hillside near the Creole ski run served by the Town Lift. Maximum building heights would reach 75 feet.

But the multifaceted development put forth by the Sweeney brothers -- Ed, Michael and Pat -- was granted "master plan" approval in 1986. As such, the Sweeneys have a vested right to build 394,000 square feet of residential space and 19,000 square feet of commercial area.

As part of that 22-year-old agreement, the Sweeneys set aside about 112 of their 124 hillside acres as permanent open space.

"The project is mitigated by 97 percent open space," Pat Sweeney said last week. "It's more than a fair trade-off."

Now, the Sweeneys are asking for significantly more than the original 413,000 square feet. They are required to mitigate 15 criteria under the municipality's "conditional-use permit" review before approval could be granted. Among other things, that includes traffic, emergency-vehicle access, building scale, noise and environmental impacts.

One-fourth of the current proposal is set aside for parking.

For his part, the impacts of Treasure Hill as proposed cannot be adequately mitigated, according to Brian Van Hecke, who heads up THINC.

"This development will dwarf Old Town. It will forever change the look and feel of the historic district."

But Sweeney disagrees.

Although the Treasure Hill plan is large, it has been designed to step up the mountainside in such a way that building heights -- as much as 10 stories -- will not overwhelm the historic district, Sweeney said.

"If you're standing below the project, what you will experience is two-story buildings. It's the same scale as lower Main Street."

The brothers have spent years and millions of dollars on the plans, Sweeney said, and have made sure that all the impacts can be mitigated.

"Mitigate is not the same as disappear," he said. "There seems to be some confusion over that."

The Treasure Hill review looms as a big challenge for the city. The City Council is expected to review any Planning Commission decision, said Mayor Dana Williams.

"It's a real tough one," he said. "The commission and council have to figure out ways to significantly mitigate the impacts. I think they have a ways to go before it can be approved."

Commission Chairman Jack Thomas said he was uneasy talking about Treasure Hill before the commission fully addresses the proposal.

"According to the code, they must mitigate these [15] criteria," he said. "If not, the Planning Commission can deny [the application]."

Some city officials may be walking on eggshells because Treasure Hill is a hot topic, said City Councilwoman Candy Erickson.

She already has received a lot of e-mail and face-to-face comments from concerned citizens.

"There's no way around it," she said. "It's controversial."

What's next
The Park City Planning Commission will conduct a public hearing to consider Treasure Hill traffic issues at 6:30 p.m., Feb. 11, at the Karl Winters Building, 1255 Park Avenue.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 7:18 PM
Bring out the cranes...

lol, i remember as a teenager growing up in south jordan when it was fields and few people. when i went to bingham high there was around 26,000 people in south jordan. now there's over 52,000. ( That's just ten years )
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 10:31 PM
The World Is Welcome Here

I wanna see renderings of treasure hill

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 11:25 PM

Treasure hill rendering:

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Treasure hill rendering:

Holy hugeness! It's like a giant getting ready to squash Park City Main Street!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 11:46 PM

I don't like that proposal at all, and I agree, it would kill main street. Not only that but it's just going to make park city look even more like a section of Salt Lake. I really doubt the appeal of Park City, at the moment, is the convenience presented by it's close proximity to a giant metropolis and increasing urban development... There's nothing wrong with a green field in a ski resort town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West