HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:22 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
There is a pretty good coffee place (literally a hole in the wall) in the tunnel connecting place ville marie and eaton centre. It's actually called Tunnel.

Source: twitter / Katerine-Lune Rollet

Very unlikely spot for a quality coffee place (or anything of quality, really - this is one of the dreariest tunnels in the reso)
I walked by there this past Monday. it looked like a cool idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to work there. Looks like the entire place is about 10 sq ft.

they had a line up when I went by (around 8:30 am, coming from the train station to my office DT.) Places with line ups make me interested.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:29 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I've always liked this sloped tunnel connecting with Bonaventure Metro Station (Montreal)

metrodemontreal

another image:

montrealinpictures.com
The hike between Jean-Talon (blue line) to Jean-Talon (Orange) is pretty hefty. Used to do that a lot when I lived nearby.

Arnold - "Screwww youu".

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I wish I could find photos of waterfront road under Canada Place. There is a ramp that goes down from the centre of west Cordova, does a 180 around the undergroud base of the Shaw tower, then goes under Canada Place until it emerges at the foot of 200 Granville st at the water. The initial ramp is over the skytrain 'tunnel' portion that I post before.

Edit: Ah: found some!!

From: http://www.battlestarlocations.com/l...ry/vancouver/2

You can see the skylights from the Jack Poole Olympic Plaza down into the underground:

Last edited by red-paladin; Apr 3, 2015 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:44 PM

That's cool, I never knew about that road. Reminds me a lot of Chicago's subterranean road network.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 9:03 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Naples and Los Angeles also have similar underground road networks. Totally cyberpunk.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 11:05 PM
Give us a kiss

This underground section of waterfront rd in Vancouver is where Harbour Air used to operate their downtown shuttle, back when I was flying it a lot (2011-2012). Have they moved to the new terminal at last? I think they were protesting the high fees or something.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:02 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Harbour air finally combined operations with the new terminal, but they built their own new berth and second gangway.
I believe the fees and a purported safety issue with the height of the berths were the issues.
It's still accessed by the underground road. The space where Harbour Air's separate terminal access was will (eventually) become a restaurant.

Picture of the completed setup:

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 3:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Canada place in Vancouver has a really interesting and unexpected underground road/rail system. something you would expect in Montreal and Toronto, but not elsewhere in the country.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 3:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Kidding me right?
I shit ye not. I took a strange trip through one of the condemned tunnels a few weeks ago (I am faculty and can get away with poking around). Had to turn back after the first 200 metres on account of extreme conditions.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

simplified map (2016):

montrealundergroundcity.com

more detailed:

reso

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

This map includes the second portion, to the East, centred on Berri-UQAM.

mobilemaplets.com

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Why? The RESO is essentially a cavernous network of bland shopping malls. Put that street life where it belongs - on the streets.
The southern part is great with its art exhibitions and futuristic ambiance. It was even in John Wick.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 4:41 PM

I absolutely HATE underground cities.

They started as a good idea, tunnels connecting major office buildings so people could connect in a climate controlled area. Now however they are mega-malls that strip the life of the streets above. The very few times I venture into them I feel like a rat in a cage. Itès surprising how Vancouverès office core is just as busy as Torontoès at street level despite Torontoès being vastly larger and employing far more people because Vancouver really doesnèt have an underground city to speak of.

If cities feel the need to connect buildings to avoid inclemente weather, I far prefer Calgaryès Plus 16 system where the connections are above the streets. At least you can get sunshine and don`t feel like you are wandering around in a cave.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 5:34 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Coldrsx, the link you posted from http://z k a h l i n a.ca on page 2 is causing Google Chrome to show an alert which blocks the whole page.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Coldrsx, the link you posted from http://z k a h l i n a.ca on page 2 is causing Google Chrome to show an alert which blocks the whole page.
Since this morning, SSP itself has been doing that as well.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I love Montreal's underground city. It is a huge bonus when working or going to school downtown, for the 6 months of the year that the weather fucking sucks. Street life all the way (and come May, Montreal has the best in the country) but when it is snowing/brutally cold, give me the UG city!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 8:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Are there any cities in Canada that have much in the way of underground expressways? I am familiar with those in Montreal (undoubtedly the most extensive, with the VME + Viger tunnels, Hippolyte-Lafontaine tunnel, Highway 13 tunnel, tunnel sections of the Decarie expressway....
Here is the most significant underground freeway in Canada, the VME+Viger:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gu...!4d-73.5817861

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Are there any cities in Canada that have much in the way of underground expressways? I am familiar with those in Montreal (undoubtedly the most extensive, with the VME + Viger tunnels, Hippolyte-Lafontaine tunnel, Highway 13 tunnel, tunnel sections of the Decarie expressway....
Here is the most significant underground freeway in Canada, the VME+Viger:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gu...!4d-73.5817861
Vancouver proper has an issue with expressways. The position starts along the line of they are evil things that need to be banned at all cost. They can be tolerated in the suburban areas to an extent but not in Vancouver proper.

There was on express way that crossed over the bounder from Burnaby (onto the second narrows bridge) and off to North Vancouver. The small stretch that was in Vancouver was obviously a problem. The compromise for it be put it underground and now we have the Cassiar Tunnel. Not a perfect compromise in that the portal to the Cassiar tunnel is still in Vancouver. A better solution would have been it have it at the city boundary. Perhaps the next big project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada