HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:30 AM
Realtor

posted some pics on the facebook page today from a few different projects.

Sooo, why is this one not in the under construction phase btw?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:45 AM

Image from Lincolndrive:

More images here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolndrive View Post
posted some pics on the facebook page today from a few different projects.

Sooo, why is this one not in the under construction phase btw?
Requirements for Skyscraperpage Forum to move to the construction thread is some form of foundation construction (caisson installation).

It seems like they are still digging/building the retaining wall, which is not actual building construction.

Now, does the above image you took show caisson installation? I'm not sure.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Requirements for Skyscraperpage Forum to move to the construction thread is some form of foundation construction (caisson installation).

It seems like they are still digging/building the retaining wall, which is not actual building construction.

Now, does the above image you took show caisson installation? I'm not sure.
They are drilling and pouring caissons on site. So I would think now is the proper time to switch this to construction.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
They are drilling and pouring caissons on site. So I would think now is the proper time to switch this to construction.
They're drilling and pouring caissons before digging to the lowest foundation level? Is that what they do? Doesn't seem to make sense to me--not that it should.

From the photos, I assumed they were just pouring concrete or mortar into the shoring/retaining walls, and drilling holes to place shoring posts or break up some rock in the way of the ultimate big dig (or perhaps for exploratory purposes). But what do I know?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
They're drilling and pouring caissons before digging to the lowest foundation level? Is that what they do? Doesn't seem to make sense to me--not that it should.

From the photos, I assumed they were just pouring concrete or mortar into the shoring/retaining walls, and drilling holes to place shoring posts or break up some rock in the way of the ultimate big dig (or perhaps for exploratory purposes). But what do I know?
The reason why they drill from grade before excavating is due to logistics and cost. If they wait to drill caissons when the hole is 50 ft deep then they would have to hoist the caisson rig down with a large crane and it would take a considerable amount of more time. If they drill from grade they are able to maneuver better and will not require a crane to hoist them down and out.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
The reason why they drill from grade before excavating is due to logistics and cost. If they wait to drill caissons when the hole is 50 ft deep then they would have to hoist the caisson rig down with a large crane and it would take a considerable amount of more time. If they drill from grade they are able to maneuver better and will not require a crane to hoist them down and out.
Ahhh, that DOES make sense. Thanks for enlightening me (and perhaps a few others).

So when the caissons get drilled, installed, and poured from grade, I assume that they then get temporarily buried until the tops are uncovered at the end of the big dig?

[Maybe you should change your name here to ConstructTEACHER. ]

Last edited by Philly Fan; Jul 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:52 PM

So are the Caissons being installed or are the holes just being dug for them? That will ultimatley decide wether this project is officially under construction.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
So are the Caissons being installed or are the holes just being dug for them? That will ultimatley decide wether this project is officially under construction.
Good point. I had assumed that ConstructStudent had meant that they were fully installed from grade, but maybe he meant that they're just dug and the holes are protected somehow until the foundation is fully dug (although he did say that they currently are also pouring the caissons).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:12 PM

If anyone catches them installing a caisson, please post a picture and this can be moved to Supertall Construction forum

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
If anyone catches them installing a caisson, please post a picture and this can be moved to Supertall Construction forum
Yeah, but give us a little warning so we can plan the big forum party.

[And that's just a sample of what we'll be doing there. ]

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Good point. I had assumed that ConstructStudent had meant that they were fully installed from grade, but maybe he meant that they're just dug and the holes are protected somehow until the foundation is fully dug (although he did say that they currently are also pouring the caissons).
They drill then lower the caisson cages then fill them with the specified concrete all from grade. Then they excavate down to the specified elevation. Haha maybe I can change my user since I just graduated from Temple.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:53 PM
Chairman

The question is will caissons be used on this project? There are other types of foundations which do not require caissons.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
The question is will caissons be used on this project? There are other types of foundations which do not require caissons.
There are three caisson rigs on site as of today.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 5:49 PM

Comcast growing and in need of space.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
Time to get Lord Foster to add a few additional floors?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:05 PM

So, the criteria which this forum uses to describe whether a building is under construction may, or may not have a basis in logic much less reality. The fact is that this building is under construction. It was announced as being under construction by Liberty Property Trust, a publicly traded company on the NYSE. Unlike every private developer, it is illegal for publicly traded and listed companies to make false statements about material events. Furthermore, the sheeting and shoring which is underway (you see it around the perimeter of the site) is permanent. It will not and can not be removed after construction as it is encased within and beneath the finished site. The site will be excavated about 4' down per week, (weather permitting). So ~35 feet means, if they are about 6' deep on average, another 7+ weeks of excavation. This type of construction will utilize a concrete mat vs caissons. So you are about 2 months from foundation steel rebar going in and more time until the mat concrete is poured. However, that does not mean that the building is not officially or practically under construction, it is. Most likely at a rate of monthly spend far in excess of any other "under construction" project in the area. Lastly, regardless of how much Comcast grows from this point in forward, no one should be staying up all night waiting for an announcement that the building has added floors. A push of a core wall this way or that way may add or subtract a couple of thousand square feet. But adding floors, even one floor would have major implications to the foundation and structural design, not to mention building budget and these things take months and months to coordinate and get approved. Adding floors now would delay the project perhaps a year and throw away tens of millions of dollars of engineering work that has been done. Therefore, enjoy what you got because it is probably going to be one of the classic high-rise buildings done this decade in the US.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruso975 View Post
Lastly, regardless of how much Comcast grows from this point in forward, no one should be staying up all night waiting for an announcement that the building has added floors. A push of a core wall this way or that way may add or subtract a couple of thousand square feet. But adding floors, even one floor would have major implications to the foundation and structural design, not to mention building budget and these things take months and months to coordinate and get approved. Adding floors now would delay the project perhaps a year and throw away tens of millions of dollars of engineering work that has been done.
If that was directed at my comment, I was just kidding.

And in terms of requiring foundation work before a project is moved to the "Construction" forum, I assume that's because of the Disney Quest phenomenon (dig a big hole and then fill it back in). But I'm relatively new here, so perhaps someone else can shed some light on that.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Time to get Lord Foster to add a few additional floors?
Or better yet, build Comcast 2. It's not nearly as bad as 19th and Market, but it's still pretty embarrassing. http://goo.gl/maps/fIEIm

They can definitely put up a 20-30 story office building here. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they outgrew their plans for Comcast 2, but I hope eventually something gets built here.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
Do they know they could have a building build for them (for free) if they put a few hundred employees in Camden?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture