HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 12:09 PM
ハルウララ

https://mobile.twitter.com/joeyalfieri

Sources have informed me that the CPL is going to announce that Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, BC, Hamilton, Halifax, Ottawa and York will be the first 8 teams to join the league
8:48 PM · May 2, 2018

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 12:14 PM

BC? BC has many large cities that could eventually host a team so I don't see why the team would not identify with the city rather than the province.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 12:15 PM
ハルウララ

If the BCFC rumours are true the team will likely play out of Surrey.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If the BCFC rumours are true the team will likely play out of Surrey.
It may tie into this...

http://www.news1130.com/2017/10/29/s...-new-stadiums/

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 4:29 PM

“BCFC” as an attempt to rally the province separate from the Whitecaps? Mistake. Im sure its just a placeholder. It would be like East Midlands FC. Eventually there should be in a true open system possible teams from Victoria, Nanaimo, Kelowna, Abbotsford, Kamloops, Burnaby, etc. All with their own little identities.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 6:55 PM

That's a big ask, I recall someone mentioning the minimum threshold are cities with populations above 200k. I don't know if the market can bear more than two pro soccer teams in the Lower Mainland, and we're a long ways away from Kelowna having a team (or Victoria, for that matter, though it could happen in the next five years).

Big coup if they can really get Ottawa to leave USL.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 7:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
That's a big ask, I recall someone mentioning the minimum threshold are cities with populations above 200k. I don't know if the market can bear more than two pro soccer teams in the Lower Mainland, and we're a long ways away from Kelowna having a team (or Victoria, for that matter, though it could happen in the next five years).
AFAIK there's no set in stone city/community requirements. Obviously some common sense will have to prevail and there won't be a team in Churchill or anything, but if a smaller community with a reasonable stadium comes forward down the line I can't imagine they would be immediately turned away...

The renovations to the Langford Stadium in Victoria were rumoured to be done with an eye on the CPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Big coup if they can really get Ottawa to leave USL.
It's pretty much assumed that Ottawa will be joining the CPL next season. The transfers they've made (with the team becoming more Canadian) is one sign pointing that way. When Ottawa left the crumbling NASL it was rumoured that they joined the USL only as a stop-gap in between the NASL and CPL.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 8:00 PM
Khan

Any sense whether there will be a national tv deal? TSN maybe?
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 8:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Any sense whether there will be a national tv deal? TSN maybe?
There were rumours of CBC a year ago or so. I think the league is looking less towards traditional TV and more towards streaming options.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 11:28 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/joeyalfieri

Sources have informed me that the CPL is going to announce that Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, BC, Hamilton, Halifax, Ottawa and York will be the first 8 teams to join the league
8:48 PM · May 2, 2018
Not bad, but I really wanted Kitchener-Waterloo to get a team. We need more cities that dont already have pro-sports representation. Maybe in the next round of expansion, hopefully.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 2:59 PM
ハルウララ

Four groups have been accepted for professional club membership at the 2018 AMM. They represent Halifax, NS, York Region, ON, Calgary, AB and Port City, BC. #CanPL https://t.co/dczAALS7ZS

These four would join Hamilton and Winnipeg who were accredited last year. Edmonton and Ottawa do not have to be confirmed again.

Port City is still assumed to be Metro Vancouver, likely Surrey.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 11:12 PM

Professional soccer stadium coming to Spruce Meadows next year

Renovations to existing facilities at Spruce Meadows will make way for a 5,000- to 7,000-seat soccer stadium next year, spokesperson Ian Allison confirmed Sunday.

A group from Calgary was approved for professional club membership by Soccer Canada on Saturday, paving the way for them to potentially join the Canadian Premier League. The league is set to debut as a professional men’s soccer league in the spring of 2019, and will serve as a Tier I league.

Allison said the stadium renovation would be financed by Spruce Meadows.

“The club will (be) commencing in 2019, be playing out of Spruce Meadows and will be owned by Spruce Meadows Sports and Entertainment,” Allison said. “We have existing facilities that will be modified, I would say. It would be renovations to bring a very unique and distinctive ambiance to the game.”

Allison said an announcement will be made later on this month when further details about the project will be revealed. He said FIFA regulators have been at Spruce Meadows to inspect the site in advance of the renovations.

Clubs from Halifax, Port City, B.C., and York Region, Ont., also got the seal of approval at Soccer Canada’s annual general meeting this weekend in Yellowknife.

The Canadian Premier League was approved for league membership with Soccer Canada last year, along with clubs in Hamilton and Winnipeg.

“We’re very excited about it. If you were to look back at the Spruce Meadows story in 1975, a lot of the reasons that are compelling for us to do this were the same for our founding sport, show jumping,” said Allison. “At that time, there was no place for Canadians to find a pathway to the top of the sport. We hadn’t posted very many top results internationally.

“When we look at where we are right now as a soccer culture, well we’re one of the top 10 nations in the world with respect to licensed merchandise and TV viewership and buying tickets. We haven’t done very well in the field of play with respect to the men’s national team. So our hope is we can emulate some of the things that have happened in our other sport, in show jumping, where Canada since Spruce Meadows started has won 25 medals on the world stage including Olympic gold and world championships and World Cup titles.”

The capacity of the Spruce Meadows soccer stadium would initially be 5,000 to 7,000 seats, although that would be subject to change in years to come.

“The nice thing about Spruce Meadows is we are scalable for the future,” Allison said.

He said it’s too early to say what the cost of the modifications would be as discussions about a number of different elements are still ongoing.

Having professional soccer being played locally could be a huge boost to the game’s popularity in Calgary, according to Susan Cress, executive director of the Calgary Minor Soccer Association.

“I’m looking forward to it. I can hardly wait to line up to get my season tickets,” said Cress, whose organization has 20,000 youth soccer players. “Many hockey kids get to look up and see their hockey heroes playing on a Saturday night. We really think there’s a group of 10, 11, 12, 13-year-old (soccer) kids that would love that opportunity too.”

She said she was happy to see the Spruce Meadows group step up and make Tier 1 soccer in Calgary a reality, and hoped FC Edmonton would also join the league in order to extend the Battle of Alberta to the soccer pitch.

“What we need in terms of a professional league in Canada is the ability for people not to just see us as a winter country,” said Cress. “I think the Canadian Premier League is absolutely going to grow the game. Soccer is the world’s game, it is the people’s game, so I think people are really going to get behind this. It’s really exciting times for kids in our city.

Source: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ime=1525639370

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:55 PM
ハルウララ

Official.

https://twitter.com/York9FCSG/status/994695437075427329

Team to play at York University for first couple of years before building their own 12K-15K soccer-specific stadium.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Official.

Team to play at York University for first couple of years before building their own 12K-15K soccer-specific stadium.
Que the TFC fans saying, take the Argos with you in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:03 PM
I am the law!

Ugly

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:56 PM
ハルウララ

Rumoured team announcements:
May 17th, Calgary
May 24th, Halifax
June 6th, Winnipeg

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 10:23 PM
ハルウララ

Cavalry FC out of Calgary.

http://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:20 PM
Khan

I thought I would hate "Cavalry FC" but for some reason I don't (yet?). A play on Arsenal FC maybe?
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:09 PM
Near Generational

Quote:

Cavalry FC out of Calgary.

http://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/
Woohoo!!!

I'm excited for this. I'll be able to walk to the games!!!

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 3:12 AM

CPL getting a little more press on Stadium Journey. Nothing new here but good to see nonetheless

https://stadiumjourney.com/news/cana...ague-launches/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada