HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:37 PM

Whoa!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:43 PM
Skyriser

^ That looks more like the proposed office development above the hotel. The floorplates seem kinda big for residential and there are no balconies/opening windows on the second one--the two renderings appear to show different buildings, for what it's worth.

Mysteries...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
I like that rendering and don't think I've ever seen it. The fact that the hotel portion looks like what is standing now makes me think this may be new.

As far as it being short... This is Phoenix where a 10 floor building is big news let alone one like this

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I like that rendering and don't think I've ever seen it. The fact that the hotel portion looks like what is standing now makes me think this may be new.

As far as it being short... This is Phoenix where a 10 floor building is big news let alone one like this
I think the second one is an older rendering because as Combusean said, it looks like an office tower plus the hotel portion already built does not look like that.

The first rendering does look like it may have balconies that that could be of the apartments.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 6:40 PM

Rebar still showing on the elevator shaft. Hopefully we see it going up soon.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 12:36 AM

little thing....some nice new stand alone planters have been added to the courtyard.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:20 PM

Looks like Kimpton hotel might have a nice restaurant:

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...l-palomar.html

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:50 AM

Cityscape Closes Vitamin T

Vitamin T, high-profile chef Aaron May's taco parlor in downtown Phoenix, is being shut down by CityScape developer, Red Development.
Jeff Moloznik, the company's development manager, said Thursday evening that he would be posting a closure notice later that night, and locking up the space.
May said he's still "hopeful to work something out" with the CityScape developer. He acknowledged that he has not been paying rent because he believes CityScape "violated our non-compete clause" when it brought Chipotle Mexican Grill into the tenant mix.

Read more here

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:11 AM
BANNED

Someone find my post where I said chipotle would mark the end of vitamin t.

That place was so fucking terrible I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:43 AM

Losing Vitamin T is not much of a loss. It was expensive, the portions were small, it had bad hours, and the food was not really anything special. It sounds like Aaron May has a habit of screwing over landlords and then blaming them when his business fails. Good riddance, enjoy "vibrant old town Scottsdale"

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:52 AM

Blue Hound Kitchen coming to CityScape

Quote:
Get ready for another new downtown Phoenix hotel restaurant.
CityScape's boutique Hotel Palomar, part of the Kimpton hotel group, will house Blue Hound Kitchen & Cocktails. Executive chef Stephen Jones is heading the operation.
Jones, 32, has a strong resume. He spent the last two years running the kitchen at Latilla, the Boulders' showplace dining room. Prior to that, he had been chef de cuisine at Tarbell's.
He says Blue Hound will be a "contemporary gastro-lounge," featuring shareable, small-plate fare made with local, organic and sustainable ingredients. (Unlike some hotel chains, each Kimpton hotel has its own one-of-a-kind restaurant.) Among the dishes he's considering for the menu: Kentucky-fried quail and foie gras cornbread, with red beans and sausage gravy. Look for a dinner-check average of about $40.
Jones says he'll be aiming to "marry the cocktail program and food." The cocktail list is being crafted by Jacques Bezuidenhout,Kimpton's consulting mixologist, who has gotten excellent notices in San Francisco. He'll be putting together an extensive collection of scotch, bourbon and gin as well.
The Hotel Palomar and Blue Hound are scheduled to open on Tuesday, June 5.
Details: Blue Hound Kitchen & Cocktails, Hotel Palomar, 2 E. Jefferson St., Phoenix.
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...l-palomar.html

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Losing Vitamin T is not much of a loss. It was expensive, the portions were small, it had bad hours, and the food was not really anything special. It sounds like Aaron May has a habit of screwing over landlords and then blaming them when his business fails. Good riddance, enjoy "vibrant old town Scottsdale"
I agree. Not a loss whatsoever. It's at a prime location (lots of foot traffic before/after Suns and Dbacks home games), so was always shocked that the restaurant wasn't in operation during those such nights. I obviously know it was in the beginning, but of course most of the tenants weren't in place as of yet. Yogurtini generates its fair share of business. Just wondering what would be the perfect replacement at that spot?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:22 PM

Hotel Palomar in downtown Phoenix almost complete

Quote:
Years of construction at First and Jefferson streets in downtown Phoenix are about to end at the CityScape office-and-retail project as construction crews complete the Hotel Palomar Phoenix.

The $90 million, 242-room boutique hotel in the RED Development project officially opens June 5. It joins the Hotel San Carlos, Hyatt Regency Phoenix, Renaissance Phoenix Hotel, Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel and the Westin Phoenix Downtown in the lineup of downtown hotels.

Jim Hollister, general manager of the new hotel, said other hoteliers in the area have been welcoming to the Palomar, even though it will bring them new competition.

"We are fighting for the same business in summer," Hollister said.

CityScape general manager Jeff Moloznik said the Hotel Palomar will give Phoenix more leverage when courting large national conferences and events, such as the Super Bowl, which will be held at the University of Phoenix Stadium in 2015, with fan events at CityScape.

"But we're also competing together as a group nationally for conventions," Moloznik said.

Phoenix officials have said the city needs more hotels downtown to support the large-scale conventions they have been drawing to the Phoenix Convention Center, a few blocks from CityScape.

An estimated 195,750 people are expected to attend the center's conferences this year -- which amounts to nearly 276,000 room nights in local hotels, according to the Greater Phoenix Convention and Visitors Bureau and convention-center officials.

Those convention attendees are expected to spend more than $283 million during the year on food, drinks, rooms, souvenirs and entertainment.

The Palomar in Phoenix, a Kimpton hotel, would be an attractive option for conventioneers, and it could be a selling point for associations and other national groups that are deciding where to hold their next annual conventions, said Jennifer Franklin, a spokeswoman for the hotel.

Franklin also said Kimpton hotels have a loyal customer following, especially among women, which makes it an attractive brand for cities to acquire.

The Hotel Palomar Phoenix is the second hotel that Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants has built from scratch, Hollister said. The other is the Hotel Palomar in Chicago. The company usually adds hotels through "adaptive reuse" -- renovating existing buildings.

Moloznik said the Hotel Palomar Phoenix boasts energy efficiency and recycled materials that may enable it -- and all of CityScape's two blocks of stores, restaurants and offices -- to qualify for the prestigious LEED certification, the international hallmark of green design and construction.

In addition, it already meets Kimpton's standards for green building under its 7-year-old green building program, EarthCare -- another selling point for the environmentally conscientious customer.

The hotel's 242 rooms are decked in chic neutral tones -- espresso brown; gray beaded wallpaper; beige-colored, croc-textured doors on the wardrobes; and stainless-steel fixtures. The furniture has crisp, straight edges, but pillows and other accessories soften the sharpness. Nightly room rates start at $149.

"It's like that show 'Mad Men,' " Hollister said, referring to the popular AMC television show set in the early 1960s, when interior design was markedly minimalist with stark, contrasting colors.

A one-bedroom unit features a separate sitting room. Each bathroom has a Fuji soak tub.

A 3,200-square-foot ballroom will play host to conferences, banquets and celebrations. Boardrooms also can be set up in the meeting spaces. Altogether, the hotel offers more than 15,000 square feet of meeting space.

Construction crews are putting the finishing touches on two bars. One, on the second floor of the hotel, is the Blue Hound Kitchen & Cocktails bar, where Palomar guests will be invited to a "Wines of the World" hour at 5 p.m. daily. Room service also is available 24 hours a day.

The outdoor pool is on the third floor, where guests can watch the crowds walking to and leaving concerts, Phoenix Suns, Mercury and Arizona Diamondbacks games. Another bar, Lustre, next to the pool will be open to the public.

Guests hoping to squeeze in a workout will get complimentary passes to Gold's Gym Elite at CityScape.

Hollister said the hotel has been hosting job fairs at the CityScape office tower to hire 250 workers, from cleaning crews to managers.
No mention of apartments in the article, but then again, it is the Republic.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...-complete.html

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:53 PM

Not only no mention...but the article says "Years of construction at Cityscape are about to come to an end." What's up with that?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 10:29 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Not only no mention...but the article says "Years of construction at Cityscape are about to come to an end." What's up with that?
I'm guessing just bad reporting since the rebar hanging out the top of the hotel is plainly visible from street. No reason to leave that up there unless they're planning on continuing up in the near future.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 1:58 AM

The Head guy at Breakfast Club said the Palomar owners and managers come in all the time. They have to finish and get the hotel cleared before they can start on the apartments. They are going up, just need to get the hotel certified. Breathe everyone......we'll get there. OR ELSE!!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 1:59 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadswor View Post
I'm guessing just bad reporting since the rebar hanging out the top of the hotel is plainly visible from street. No reason to leave that up there unless they're planning on continuing up in the near future.
It would not surprise me at all to see RED just leaving the rebar hanging out like that. After all they broke City code (and got away with it scott free!) on their tower by having all the mechanical shit clearly visible and not screened.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
Someone find my post where I said chipotle would mark the end of vitamin t.

That place was so fucking terrible I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.
agreed. I tried it 2 times as well. not impressed and over priced. hopefully something better will take its place

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 4:43 AM

Is there a separate entrance/elevator for apartments? I couldn't imagine that they'd share the same lobby and elevators. Is anyone familiar with the floor plan, blueprints, or layout of the building?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Is there a separate entrance/elevator for apartments? I couldn't imagine that they'd share the same lobby and elevators. Is anyone familiar with the floor plan, blueprints, or layout of the building?
They'll probably do what that did at the Freeport-McMoran building with the Westin lobby.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest