HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:06 PM

ALMS(American Lemans) cars are almost the same cars run at Lemans. Lemans is a 24 hour race run since 1923 in France. It has classes for highly modified street sportscars(Ferrari's, Porsche's, Corvette's) and full race "prototype cars" made just for racing. They are like F1 cars with a body and non spec engines.

This is a good thing for the track, although not anywhere near as popular as NASCAR. If they do not finish the track in time for the 2012 F1 race this could be the first race at the new track.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
ALMS(American Lemans) cars are almost the same cars run at Lemans.
Indeed, and Audi & maybe a couple of other teams only run a limited ALMS schedule as prep/testing for LeMans 24H. Sebring & Petite LeMans, IIRC...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 10:59 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
ALMS(American Lemans) cars are almost the same cars run at Lemans. Lemans is a 24 hour race run since 1923 in France. It has classes for highly modified street sportscars(Ferrari's, Porsche's, Corvette's) and full race "prototype cars" made just for racing. They are like F1 cars with a body and non spec engines.

This is a good thing for the track, although not anywhere near as popular as NASCAR. If they do not finish the track in time for the 2012 F1 race this could be the first race at the new track.
The track will be complete in time for the Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix there is no doubt about that.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:30 PM

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:36 PM

The F1 2012 game will feature Circuit of the Americas, looks cool.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
The F1 2012 game will feature Circuit of the Americas, looks cool.
would be awesome if they put the austin skyline on it too. haha

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 8:45 AM

Le Mans race looks awesome, can't wait to see it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
would be awesome if they put the austin skyline on it too. haha
That would be even better...

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/arti...s-gaming-debut

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 8:49 AM

http://www.statesman.com/sports/amer...f-2387257.html

Quote:
Starting next spring, the American Le Mans Series will race at Circuit of the Americas for at least the next three years, track officials said Friday.

The endurance sports car series, patterned after 24 Hours of Le Mans, becomes the third race series booked for the $300 million track being built in southeastern Travis County. The series joins the Formula One Grand Prix scheduled for November and the Australian V8 Supercars race slated for next year.

"Our vision is to bring premier sports and entertainment programming to Circuit of the Americas and to partner with motorsports organizations that put a premium on innovation, fan experience and environmental sustainability," said Steve Sexton, the circuit's president. "The American Le Mans Series — with its highly competitive, customer-focused programming and its well-known commitment to green racing — certainly fits that vision."

Scott Atherton, president and CEO of the series, said, "It's been a long time coming ... there is no question in our minds that Circuit of the Americas will be one of the finest road-racing venues not only in North America, but on a global scale."

Atherton added that his series should be a good fit for Austin, as it focuses on such issues as sustainability and alternative fuels.

"We pride ourselves on being the global leader of green racing, We embraced this many years ago before it was the politically correct thing to do," he said.

The series was created by Georgia businessman Don Pano and made its debut in 1999. Speeds can top 180 mph, and the competing cars include Chevrolet, Ferrari, Honda, Lotus, Mazda and Porsche.

"What you see on the track today is what you see on the street tomorrow. That's part of the appeal," said Gill Campbell, CEO and general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, which last month was the site of the third stop on the series' 10-race calendar.

Campbell, in an interview earlier this year, said the race at Laguna Seca in Monterey, Calif., typically draws 45,000 fans over three days.

American Le Mans Series races are contested on temporary street circuits or natural-terrain road courses.

"You'll never see us on an oval," Atherton said.

The series has been talking with Circuit of the Americas officials for more than a year. Speculation about an Austin race increased in April, when Paul DeJoria was announced as an investor in the circuit. While he is best known for Paul Mitchell hair care products, DeJoria also founded Patron Tequila, the title sponsor for the American Le Mans Series.

Campbell said the sports car series can be profitable for a track.

"We don't make a lot of money off it, but we make a little," she said. "Sports car racing fans are fickle. If there's no Audi, ticket sales are really flat."

The date for the Circuit of the Americas race — and the length of the event — will be set later this year.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 5:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I bet we could get more than 45k attendance here for Le mans. To me having different types of car designs alone makes it an interesting race. To see how each model performs against others would be fun.

Next I hope we get an official word that MOTO GP will be coming. COTA officials, u would be stupid not to do whatever it takes to secure MOTO GP.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I bet we could get more than 45k attendance here for Le mans. To me having different types of car designs alone makes it an interesting race. To see how each model performs against others would be fun.
Why would we be able to outdraw Monterey/Laguna Seca's 3-day figure? I went there last year and was lucky enough to get a free ride for two laps around Laguna Seca, which of course was awesome...and Monterey is incredibly nice & not a long ride from the Bay Area.

Quote:
Next I hope we get an official word that MOTO GP will be coming. COTA officials, u would be stupid not to do whatever it takes to secure MOTO GP.
Agree completely.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 1:28 AM
Meh

http://impactnews.com/articles/count...or-formula-one
Quote:
Travis County, businesses prepare for Formula One

by Joe Olivieri
May 25, 2012

Travis County is less than six months away from hosting the 2012 United States Grand Prix, a major event in the sport of Formula One racing.

Both groups, as well as City of Austin and state officials, have said F1 will have a greater economic impact than the Super Bowl.

Indianapolis has hosted both F1 and this year’s Super Bowl.

Chris Gahl, Indianapolis Convention and Visitor Association spokesman, said the Super Bowl was expected to generate $155 million in direct and indirect spending; The Indianapolis 500 generates $337 million annually.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 5:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
Why would we be able to outdraw Monterey/Laguna Seca's 3-day figure? I went there last year and was lucky enough to get a free ride for two laps around Laguna Seca, which of course was awesome...and Monterey is incredibly nice & not a long ride from the Bay Area.
IMO 45K is not that big of a crowd for racing. Now if it was 45k for each day thats not bad. That would be 135K over 3 days, but unless I misread the artical it said 45K over 3 days which would mean less than 20k per day. I think we could do better here. Call it hopeful optimism lol.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
IMO 45K is not that big of a crowd for racing. Now if it was 45k for each day thats not bad. That would be 135K over 3 days, but unless I misread the artical it said 45K over 3 days which would mean less than 20k per day. I think we could do better here. Call it hopeful optimism lol.
That's my point. Despite everything the Monterey Peninsula has going for it, ALMS is a small draw. It's a good series, but I can't see it ever drawing the casual fan, which is what you need for big crowds.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I could see it go either way. If it's just a racing event for gearheads and existing fans, it probably won't draw huge crowds. If they can somehow capitalize on the Austin cachet that causes most festivals to be hugely successful, then maybe it will do well. It is after all in spring, SXSW and perfect weather time. Throw in some music and food trailers and people will come.

Here's a video someone posted on youtube from a June 2 tour of the track, I think it may be from the Mercedes Club tour of CoTA last week:
Video Link

There are some crane parts visible at 6:17, along with a large mobile crane base I think. I think the area suggests that it might be for the T15 grandstands.

They also mention the tower a little later on. It's still on for Phase 1, they say, although not all the amenities around it. They better hurry, though. I wonder if "Phase 1" is all supposed to be complete before the F1 race?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 2:42 AM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:19 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...inglePage=true
Quote:
F1 track owners will pay for fire, EMS, law enforcement during race weekend

By Patrick George and Mary Ann Roser

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 10:28 p.m. Monday, June 4, 2012
Published: 8:24 p.m. Monday, June 4, 2012

When the U.S. Grand Prix Formula One race arrives here in November, it will come with one of the largest emergency and traffic management operations ever in Travis County, public safety and hospital officials said.

Most of the costs for protecting the drivers and the public — likely to total hundreds of thousands of dollars — will be covered by Circuit of the Americas, the racetrack's owner, officials said.

About 120,000 people are expected to descend on southeastern Travis County for the race Nov. 16-18. A few hundred more firefighters, paramedics, law enforcement officers and hospital employees are expected all three days as well.

A veritable emergency room is being built on-site, with plans for nine ambulances at the facility as well as a STAR Flight helicopter.
Photos:

Formula One site construction, 06.05.12
http://galleries.statesman.com/galle...uction-060512/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 3:33 PM

Interesting. Looks like TicketMaster has taken the prices off that page.

Here's what it showed previously (all are bleachers).....T12: $499 upper,$399 lower, T2-5: $299, T11: $269, GA: $159

COTA Select Seating prices from the COTA page (without PSL costs): $500-1250 for Main GS, T1, T15.

Based on this info, which is no doubt subject to change with this crew, here are Canada's and Austin's average 3-day ticket prices...not including COTA PSLs:

Montreal: $365
Austin: $655

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 4:50 PM

3 laps of COTA with Codemasters F1 2012:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 5:26 PM

Mass Gathering Permit approved. No link yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin