HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 7:34 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown_Tim View Post
For now
True. I wouldn't be surprised to see the population of Alberta pass that of Montreal by the 2016 Census. Alberta's GDP is already bigger than BC's and might pass that of Quebec by then too. Alberta punches way above its weight. As far as I'm concerned, the bigger and richer Alberta gets, the better off Canada will be.

Hopefully, Alberta can get to 7 million within 25 years.

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
True. I wouldn't be surprised to see the population of Alberta pass that of Montreal by the 2016 Census. Alberta's GDP is already bigger than BC's and might pass that of Quebec by then too. Alberta punches way above its weight. As far as I'm concerned, the bigger and richer Alberta gets, the better off Canada will be.

Hopefully, Alberta can get to 7 million within 25 years.
A lot can happen in 25 years.

I see Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and even Atlantic Canada, getting due recognition during that timespan.

Though I do hope the entire country grows, not just certain provinces while others lag behind.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
my friends from vancouver reminded me several times over the holidays (they were visiting alberta) that calgary is the, and i quote, "whitest city in canada".

i don't even know what to say to them when i hear that stuff.
Thats funny when I first went to Vancouver from Ontario I always said, "It was nice in Vancouver, never snowed, to bad it is white all the time." How times have changed, and it is happening in Alberta too.

The foreign-born population, and it's visible minorities of Calgary are not the same thing. You can be black, and not an immigrant, or you can be an immigrant without being a visible minority.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
What you seem to forget is that North America and Europe account for 10% of the world's population yet take in 95% of the world's immigration.

Calgary would be within the top 5% for global diversity.
what complete balderdash.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:22 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
A lot can happen in 25 years.

I see Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and even Atlantic Canada, getting due recognition during that timespan.

Though I do hope the entire country grows, not just certain provinces while others lag behind.
I see good things ahead for Saskatchewan and Manitoba also. Maybe they can both get to 2 million over the same time span. I'm not that optimistic about Atlantic Canada, although that monster $25 billion ship contract should help Nova Scotia a great deal. It's a wonderful part of the country, but gets bypassed due to few opportunities and little in the way of big city delights. Halifax really needs to get to about Winnipeg's size to reach that critical mass.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:04 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
my friends from vancouver reminded me several times over the holidays (they were visiting alberta) that calgary is the, and i quote, "whitest city in canada".

i don't even know what to say to them when i hear that stuff.
Tell them you're looking into finding more educated friends.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 6:22 PM

I thought Toronto and Miami had the largest foreign born populations? Calgary, really? I love the city so don't tell me I'm bashing the city, but that city is white as f**k compared to Toronto! Anyone who lives in or near Toronto or have even been there would know that Toronto is full of immigrants whether visible minorities or Europeans

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 6:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo3000 View Post
I thought Toronto and Miami had the largest foreign born populations? Calgary, really? I love the city so don't tell me I'm bashing the city, but that city is white as f**k compared to Toronto! Anyone who lives in or near Toronto or have even been there would know that Toronto is full of immigrants whether visible minorities or Europeans
Over a quarter of Calgary is decidedly non-white. I suppose if you grew up in Calcutta that might appear to be "white as fuck" but for North America it's pretty damned diverse. 2006 Statscan details.

I also think it's time to take issue with the whole "white as fuck" comment in general. It's more than a bit offensive, to be honest. If I described Miami as "Hispanic as fuck" or Detroit as "black as fuck", people would be offended, and rightly so.

Also, I don't see a single person here claiming Calgary has a larger foreign-born population than Toronto, although maybe I didn't read close enough.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Over a quarter of Calgary is decidedly non-white. I suppose if you grew up in Calcutta that might appear to be "white as fuck" but for North America it's pretty damned diverse. 2006 Statscan details.

I also think it's time to take issue with the whole "white as fuck" comment in general. It's more than a bit offensive, to be honest. If I described Miami as "Hispanic as fuck" or Detroit as "black as fuck", people would be offended, and rightly so.

Also, I don't see a single person here claiming Calgary has a larger foreign-born population than Toronto, although maybe I didn't read close enough.
If we are offended by being profiled, why are we talking about racial diversity? If you're offended by someone on the internet it's time to grow up and act like a man. anyways, I am far from racist buddy so don't be offended

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Tell them you're looking into finding more educated friends.
I don't think it's that they're uneducated, it's just that to them Calgary probably does seem quite monocultural.

It's all relative.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 7:48 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I don't think it's that they're uneducated, it's just that to them Calgary probably does seem quite monocultural.

It's all relative.
But then there is perspective - by 2017 statscanada predicts 'visible minorities' to be in the majority in metro Toronto and Vancouver. ie: one out of two - in Calgary they predict it to be one out of three. Is this monoculture? To me monoculture is rural Canada. The top 5 urban areas are very diverse.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 7:53 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo3000 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying Calgary is less White than Toronto. Everyone knows that Toronto and Vancouver are in a whole different level when it comes to ethnic diversity. Calgary has a diverse population com pared to most other NA cities though.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:28 PM
HVAC guru

I find Edmonton more culturally diverse, but both cities pale in comparison to Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:33 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I find Edmonton more culturally diverse, but both cities pale in comparison to Vancouver
But if you were to exclude only two groups - the Chinese and the east Indians - Vancouver wouldn't be very "diverse".

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:38 PM
HVAC guru

^ true enough.... I'd ammend my post to say that Vancouver is extremely ethnic, however Edmonton feels more diverse

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:59 PM
Heart of the Continent

Winnipeg and Edmonton have very similar demographic numbers in terms of the ratio of whites to non whites, with just over 71% being white in Edmonton, and just over 73% in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Statscan site has a reasonable explanation of the formula they use and I believe Wikipedia does also.

In a nutshell, Foothills MD doesn't have as much commuter traffic into Calgary as many would think. A surprising number of people in Okotoks work within the MD itself (statscan doesn't say where they work, but likely High River)
If you go through the community profiles you can actually do the math as they have number for the amount of people that commute to other CMAs etc..
Foothills is pretty close to being added to Calgary. I don't think it made it in the 2011 census, but it's close.
You're right in pointing out High River as a major reason why Foothills is still excluded. The town really doesn't function as a suburb of Calgary; it has its own employment centres and functions more like a rural town servicing the local area. Another issue is the lack of sprawl within the MD itself. Compared to Rockyveiw County, it just doesn't have as much exurban development like Springbank, Bearspaw, and such. This is beginning to change with developments like Heritage Pointe and subdivision into acreages around Dewinton.

Really, northern Foothills is part of metro Calgary but southern Foothills is not. Statscan requires an all or nothing approach to inclusion so unless the MD is split it could still be a little while until it is added to the CMA. The 2011 numbers should give us a good idea of how far along the process is. For the time being it is kind of stupid to have Heritage Pointe excluded but once the whole MD is included it will be kind of stupid to have farms just north of Nanton as part of the CMA.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 9:24 PM

Call my views of immigration weird if you want.

Immigration outside of the New World is a very dangerous and threatening idea. England will not culturally or economically survive unless the country is filled with white Anglo-Saxons. Japan will not survive culturally or economically unless the country is filled with the ethnic Japanese. I won't go through the 190+ nations that need to remain monoethnic or have the different ethnicities separated inside the country.

America, Canada, New Zealand and Australia (among a few others) can endure immigration. They are based on immigration. The very identity of the country is immigration.

There's no reason why we need to lose the culture, heritage and identity of dozens of nations when Canada, the US, Australia and New Zealand can absorb the immigration.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 9:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^weird is not the word I would use. The vast majority of countries worldwide are multiethnic. It happens to be my research area.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
But then there is perspective - by 2017 statscanada predicts 'visible minorities' to be in the majority in metro Toronto and Vancouver. ie: one out of two - in Calgary they predict it to be one out of three. Is this monoculture? To me monoculture is rural Canada. The top 5 urban areas are very diverse.
You're getting me all wrong, I'm not saying Calgary is monocultural, I'm just saying that to someone used to 50% visable minorities, going to 25% is a significant drop and could seem very white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
But if you were to exclude only two groups - the Chinese and the east Indians - Vancouver wouldn't be very "diverse".
I think that could apply to the entire globe. Ethnic Chinese and Indians comprise about half the worlds population.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada