HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 12:29 AM

[Halifax] Skye Halifax (1565 Granville) | 66 m | 2 x 21 fl | U/C

http://www.skyehalifax.ca/images/media/skye_website.jpg

I figured we might as well start a new thread.
They have updated the website. I hope these renderings are "alpha" renderings and we will get to see something better soon.
http://www.skyehalifax.ca/

Here is a blog posting of someone who clearly supports this. I agree with a lot of the points he made including this:
Quote:
By contrast, the current benchmark of the Halifax skyline are the two Purdy’s Wharf towers (18 & 22 floors), which were revolutionary when they were built in the late 1980′s. Perhaps it’s time to try something revolutionary again?
http://ourhalifax.com/2011/07/26/sky...ment-proposal/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 3:26 AM

I'm really torn about this application. I actually liked the twisted sisters proposal and was hopefully they would build it - I was sad to see they never have (at least not yet).

I'm looking at this proposal and it's interesting but I have concerns about the location and height. I know this sounds funny from someone who lives so close to (and really enjoys) the Bow tower here in Calgary (I've attached photos just to show you my view hehe).

I think it's great to get people talking about the whole viewplane/rampart height issue. But I don't know if it should be because of an application - I'm thinking it's more of a regional planning exercise. Granted, it won't be up for renewal for at least another 16 years which is a long way away.

For me - the view from this part of the citadell hill is one of my favs. I really enjoy sitting up there and watching the harbour with a coffee. I don't mind the maritime centre - but the whole point of the viewplane next to this site is to protect the view of George's island from the hill and I'm worried this might block it out - which is sad to me.

I think this may be a case of a good idea; wrong location. With all the talk of the Cogswell interchange coming down - there is the possibility that land would become available there. For me the compromise solution would be to exclude the cogswell lands from the rampart rule - thus there would be no height maximum. The area is already concealed by the apartment buildings and office towers from Scotia Square - so I don't see an issue with that.

But I just have a lot of concerns with this being where it is.

And now...the Bow
From my balcony during the stampede parade(the clutter is on my neighbour's balcony):

During a recent rain storm...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 4:19 AM

That's the old fire hall/budget renatal .....Hmmmm I know exactly where your bulding is my ex used to live in your building few years ago , do you ever eat at great pizza?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post

That's the old fire hall/budget renatal .....Hmmmm I know exactly where your bulding is my ex used to live in your building few years ago , do you ever eat at great pizza?
Once in a while - it's under new owners.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I'm looking at this proposal and it's interesting but I have concerns about the location and height. I know this sounds funny from someone who lives so close to (and really enjoys) the Bow tower here in Calgary (I've attached photos just to show you my view hehe).
I'm back in Calgary for a few weeks before I head off to Vancouver. There's still something about the Bow that bugs me. Something just seems overly... blunt and monolithic about it, I feel like chimps should be beating each other to death with bones at the foot of it or something. Very clearly a Foster project but it really lacks the grace of form I've encountered in their London works. At least it isn't as ugly/a financial quagmire like that pedestrian bridge they're trying to build out in the west end of downtown.

As for the Skye project, it seems more like an incitement to provoke more than any kind of actual proposal. The renderings are super-preliminary but they don't look like anything that would ever reasonably be built in Halifax, even if their heights were in line with HbD

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I'm back in Calgary for a few weeks before I head off to Vancouver. There's still something about the Bow that bugs me. Something just seems overly... blunt and monolithic about it, I feel like chimps should be beating each other to death with bones at the foot of it or something. Very clearly a Foster project but it really lacks the grace of form I've encountered in their London works. At least it isn't as ugly/a financial quagmire like that pedestrian bridge they're trying to build out in the west end of downtown.

As for the Skye project, it seems more like an incitement to provoke more than any kind of actual proposal. The renderings are super-preliminary but they don't look like anything that would ever reasonably be built in Halifax, even if their heights were in line with HbD
One of my planner colleagues said that he doesn't like it either because when viewed from a far distance on the landscape - it is one big rectangle building. He thinks that is where they fell down on the design.

Yes, when you are near it, you can see the bend of the shape like this: ( but far away you can't. I think that's what you mean and I agree.
But I'm more comforted by the view I get from my balcony; so I won't complain.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 11:02 AM
Honored Member

I really can't get excited about this proposal. If such a dominant structure is ever to be built in Halifax then I think it should be a very iconic structure as opposed to just being tall. As someone else mentioned, the Skye proposal looks too much like two Cogswell towers (probably my least favourite building in Halifax).

Here is an example of an iconic building in San Francisco - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transamerica_Pyramid . The upper floors aren't very practical since too much of the upper floor area consists of elevator shafts. However, it is a popular, often photographed building.

I would be happy to see the United Gulf proposal go back to being two (or even one) 27 storey towers. It should be noted that as a residential tower of 27 storeys it wouldn't be any higher than 1801 Hollis.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 11:54 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I agree. As per this render they are very basic. I would doubt the actual buildings would be as plain. Too bad something like Absolute World couldn't be built but Mississauga was lucky to get it first.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 3:11 PM

Having had a chance to see Absolute World up close this summer, I can't really say I'm a fan of the aesthetics. That's subjective, anyway, though.

That said, I agree that the proposal for Skye Halifax, as it exists now, leaves me a bit worried. Too narrow for the height, and the bend makes them look like something from a cartoon. As it stands, I prefer the old proposal by far. Hopefully the design will evolve a bit into something more substantial (and hopefully with more glass).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 8:31 PM
Salty Town

I would like to see a design similar to the Empire State Building minus 65 floors.

Photo by Empire

Last edited by Empire; Aug 21, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 8:58 PM
Urban Thinker

Err... That's the Chrysler Building, not the ESB. I do agree though, they are both stunning.

EDIT: It seems the photo has been changed. Oops!

Last edited by haligonia; Aug 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 11:43 PM

Looks like the Empire State Building to me...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 11:44 PM

ignore please

go dogs go!

Last edited by reddog794; Aug 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM. Reason: big-mouthery reduction

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 11:48 PM

The picture was originally the Chysler building.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 11:58 PM

Sorry, missed the edits on both

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 5:13 PM

ja, entschuldigung

go dogs go!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:39 PM

Supporters' List

If you feel this is a project you would like to see move forward then you may want to sign the supporters list.
http://www.skyehalifax.ca/sign-for-support

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:54 PM

I see Keith P. was quoted on their site!

http://skyehalifax.ca/the-buzz/item/...tions-to-rules

More interesting opinions in "The Buzz":

http://skyehalifax.ca/the-buzz

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:55 PM
Fizzix geek

Hey KeithP, you're famous! :-)

Check out the bottom posting on this page.

http://www.skyehalifax.ca/the-buzz

EDIT: Apparently I owe Q12 a beer for saying the exact same thing at the same time.

Last edited by beyeas; Aug 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM. Reason: Q12... and I also took out the part where I sounded preachy! LOL

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
EDIT: Apparently I owe Q12 a beer for saying the exact same thing at the same time. LOL
LOL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth