HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 8:34 PM

A lot of people don't like Durbin, but he sure can get project money steered to Chicago! More money for south side ped bridges over LSD!! Great news!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...912-story.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 12:05 AM
The City

^ Nice job, Dick!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 12:16 AM

What an appropriately named man!!

I will never understand how a nation running a 500 billion or more deficit each year, can afford to award any money for projects other than those that are absolutely essential. Not to take anything away from the efficacy and architectural positives of said bridges. I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 1:28 AM

But i thought deficits didn't matter?! Or is that just when Republicans are in office...i can never remember.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 2:31 AM

I don't think they matter to anyone in office anymore as long as their are no term limits...egads!!!

Awhile back I heard of a proposal/suggestion to put a small museum or informational "kiosk" in Jackson park near the wooded island pertaining to the 1893 Columbian Exposition. Has anyone heard any more about that or was that just a melatonin induced dream I had?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 3:11 AM

Nope but been wanting to go see the exhibit about the Worlds Fair at the Field museum.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 3:37 PM
TL;DR

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 3:42 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygosox View Post
What an appropriately named man!!

I will never understand how a nation running a 500 billion or more deficit each year, can afford to award any money for projects other than those that are absolutely essential. Not to take anything away from the efficacy and architectural positives of said bridges. I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'.
The money came from the TIGER program which has funded unique or innovative transportation investments around the country. For 2014 most of the grants focused on freight movement (ports, industrial areas) and on disadvantaged areas.

I think it's a crime that the South Side is so disconnected from the lakefront while the North Side has frequent access points. Nothing will spur development down there like easier lake access. Except maybe a transit line.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 4:48 PM

731 W Lake

8//20

9/09

9/9

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 5:51 PM

Great shots Harry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I'll never forget the X/O debacle as long as I live. The degree of douchebaggery that went along with that is about as bad as it gets....although the Childrens Memorial site in Lincoln Park still tops it.

It's too bad that townhomes are getting built at the X/O site. A fitting conclusion to any NIMBY-led insurgence against density is for a big, huge tower to be ramrodded down their throats, a reminder that the city is eternal and that human beings & sunshine are forever worthless. What happened at Wolf Point, or the 3740 N Halsted tower in Lakeview come to mind.

Agreed; I am really disappointed that more highly valuable downtown real estate, next to the lakefront and McCormick Place, will be developed as townhomes that we shall be stuck with for years to come. We might, just might match the density of the block from circa 1880 with this project.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 7:29 PM

Thanks so so much for the info. concerning "Project 120 Chicago"!! Long overdue considering the history there, not to mention the beauty of Jackson Park.
I'm happy too about the new pedestrian walkways to the lake at 41st and 43rd. I'm on the southside near the lake and I will probably be using all three new bridges at some point or another.
Another thanks for pointing out the TIGER program but in the end it's still tax money and despite record breaking revenues this year for the federal government we will also break the record for spending again. Just an errant thought of mine.

By the way....I grew up on the southside of Chicago and despite not living in my original neighborhood......I feel home here and hope to live long enough to see incredible positive changes. Despite who's mayor, the local political situations or the economy's ups and downs.......change for the better will push on here.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:56 PM
you know where I'll be

^ You do realize that it would be quite damaging to the economy to try to balance the budget right now (substantial and sudden reduction in spending). This is not the time for it. For truly serious economists, this is pretty much a settled issue. With interest rates where they are, this is the time for massive public works/infrastructure invesment - and I mean truly massive - throughout the country, and Chicago needs it and would benefit - in terms of current and future economic growth and potential (which will do more to cut the deficit and make the debt more manageable and quite frankly reduce it to a minor or virtually non-issue going forward, than virtually anything else) - as much as, or more than the vast majority of the country........

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Sep 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 6:32 PM

Wasn't sure if anyone noticed the most recent piece from Kamin on the Lucas Museum:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...11-column.html

Among the more face-palming suggestions made is the over emphasized importance of water taxi service (even at the cost of the Northerly Island ped bridge) and that holding a citywide referendum to decide things like this is a good idea. The claim that the rejection by the Presidio Trust was an ideal exercise in democracy is laughable in the extreme.

People also need to stop foisting the Michael Reese site onto anybody who wants to build something larger than a hot dog stand. The city should find a low intensity interim use for it until such time as it is desirable to develop and move the hell on.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 6:34 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
People also need to stop foisting the Michael Reese site onto anybody who wants to build something larger than a hot dog stand. The city should find a low intensity interim use for it until such time as it is desirable to develop and move the hell on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 7:12 PM
you know where I'll be

Speaking of Reese - it is out as an Obama Library contender, as is McCaffery's dream of it at Lakeside. There will be other cuts between now an early next year, when we'll have just two finalist locations left (while it will be awarded to a Chicago site in the end, it will be interesting to see if the two finalists are both Chicago sites). I think it's an absolute joke through and through that Chicago State was not among the very earliest sites to be cut - it is truly astonishing that that 'university' has not lost whatever accreditations it has.......I suppose with racial politics in Chicago, maybe that will never happen? But, I have to say that it is a shame that there was not more experience and financial and organizational firepower behind the Reese site.......just based on the site alone, I would have placed it up there maybe only behind a UC area site (which is now of course the very clear frontrunner)....

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 8:15 PM

Why should the Museum Campus work be a democracy? This city is what it is because of civic leaders with a bold vision operating under a few established guidelines. If lakefront planning was democratic, Grant Park would have been stuffed with hotels and water parks in the 90s.

The pedestrian experience around Museum Campus is so crappy because there's never been any momentum behind improving it, not because of a lack of ideas or consensus. I'd much rather have a decision-maker like Gang leading that effort than a equilateral steering committee of CDOT/IDOT/CPD do-nothings. For once in a generation, the money is there and the will is there, don't waste it on democratic mediocrity.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 8:31 PM

Sam.....hardly a settled issue my friend. We've had both Democrat and Republican administrations ignore common sense for decades now and the current administration even wholeheartedly pushed for and got a "stimulus" package. Keynesian economics is in play and until we wake up from our rose colored glasses fiscal stupor......we will continue to descend into 2nd tier status as a nation. I agree, you can't hack at the budget in one or two years to eliminate a deficit and the debt is considerably longer term because of it's enormity but no one is even trying to get a handle on this. Bowles-Simpson has been utterly ignored. May I suggest Milton Freidman's "Free To Choose". He's one of The University of Chicago's very own!!

Don't get me wrong.....I'm still selfishly thrilled about the new pedestrian bridges.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 8:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ You do realize that it would be quite damaging to the economy to try to balance the budget right now (substantial and sudden reduction in spending). This is not the time for it. For truly serious economists, this is pretty much a settled issue. With interest rates where they are, this is the time for massive public works/infrastructure invesment - and I mean truly massive - throughout the country, and Chicago needs it and would benefit - in terms of current and future economic growth and potential (which will do more to cut the deficit and make the debt more manageable and quite frankly reduce it to a minor or virtually non-issue going forward, than virtually anything else) - as much as, or more than the vast majority of the country........
Even if you agree that Federal budget deficits are too big, infrastructure isn't the place to cut. Transportation spending in the US is substantially less than Western European states or other superpower nations as a fraction of GDP. Cutting spending starts with entitlements like Social Security and Medicare, not transportation.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 9:11 PM

Unfortunately there can be no "sacred cows". Comparing us to Europe is apples and oranges.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 9:11 PM

Lakeshore Athletic Club demo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development