HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think that's actually a pretty good story. Proposing something under HbD is the most sensible option at this point and it is the most realistic path to actually getting something built.
Except... given the track record, I'll be pleasantly surprised if the next measurable progress here, under United Gulf, is "sensible" or "realistic." Here's hoping.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
"WE ARE THINKING REALLY REALLY HARD, GUYS. WE'LL HAVE AN IDEA IN 24-36 MONTHS. DEVELOPMENT IS A TOUGH BIZ, OKAY GUYS? YOU DON'T KNOW."
Is this 'announcement of announcement' maybe to get HRM off United Gulf's back?...assuming the city is making any effort whatsoever to check in on these "developers."

They shouldn't need so much brainstorming time; they already know what approval looks like. Instead of re-inventing a proposal according to HRMbyDesign, they should just take a step back and go with what they were permitted to do a long ass time ago.

The Twisted Sisters -- but majorly cheapened and simplified.

I wonder if their next announcement, if it's not to announce another future announcement, will be the sale of the site and the company's bankruptcy. At least that would be movement.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:37 PM

So its been 9 months and still nothing on this.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
So its been 9 months and still nothing on this.
I read something about a month ago that seemed to indicate that plans were in the works to have something by this fall to propose for the site. I hate to start rumors, but it gave me hope that something might be built, someday. Hopefully someone else has heard more than I. I'll see if I can find what I read tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I met with the developers last week. Told them about the site and said they should keep an eye on it. That's probably why your bit got put up Keith P. Hope you guys don't mind. They just want to know that people are talking about it. I'll admit, before meeting with them, I was on the fence. But getting some of the numbers and talking with them. I am now in full support of this development.

The reasoning behind the height is to allow for more affordable units. The condos in here will start at $150,000. Much more affordable then buildings like the Trillium. And in order to make it economically feasible they needed more units. Hence the 48 stories.
I remember this excitement around this project when it was first discussed, we need buildings starting at the 30 stories and up. The idea of 48 should have been embraced with little debate because it would have sent the message that as a province and a city we are open for business. We are Atlantic Canada's capital and should embrace that fact, not shun it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 11:09 PM

And Bam! we are now on 12 months since they said they would submit something new to the city

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittleGuy View Post
I remember this excitement around this project when it was first discussed, we need buildings starting at the 30 stories and up. The idea of 48 should have been embraced with little debate because it would have sent the message that as a province and a city we are open for business. We are Atlantic Canada's capital and should embrace that fact, not shun it.
This has been a parking lot for a decade and we're still waiting for a serious proposal. No one was going to support Skye, after just passing HRMxD, which, in my view, has been a serious boon to downtown development and activities. They had approval to build Twister Sister proposal, but let it expire. Why?

If the developers wanted to show they were serious, they would have a new proposal already, that conformed to HRMxD. Just like the other major developers building in the area-- Southwest at the Maple and Starfish with the Roy.

Last edited by counterfactual; Oct 31, 2014 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 AM

Neither of those actually conformed... the Maple, because of that fin thing (as far as I know an exception was made to one of the width/height rules) and the Roy was grandfathered in.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:27 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Neither of those actually conformed... the Maple, because of that fin thing (as far as I know an exception was made to one of the width/height rules) and the Roy was grandfathered in.
Maple was considered a major variance but was within the bylaw - the design review committee has the power to allow a major variance if the variance meets the intent of the by-law. The selling point was the Maple has the fin and is not a "wedding cake" but is actually 97% the allowable volume, the right height, and is creating/reenforcing the mid-block crossing between it and the Ralston.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:17 PM

I would love to see dozen of these in downtown Dartmouth and all over Halifax. Looks great!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
The Maple did, as per Waye's post, and the Roy was still entirely legal and appropriate -- being grandfathered.

Skye was an attempt to gut the new HRMxD law. Neither Roy nor the Maple, presented any similar such challenge to the (then) relatively new development framework.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:42 PM

Isn't it nice that this thread has come back from the dead in time for Hallowe'en?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 5:53 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
Isn't it nice that this thread has come back from the dead in time for Hallowe'en?
2spooky4me

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 8:11 PM

Halifax council will discuss on Tuesday whether to scrap the development agreement signed nine years ago with Navid Saberi for the former TexPark site.

As debated in these pages before, Saberi's United Gulf has been sitting on this site since he paid $5 million for it in 2004, beating out four other developers. Despite winning approval for the original "Twister Sisters" twin tower development that topped out at 27 stories, development never proceeded. He later returned with a proposal for the 48-storey Skye towers, which was rejected by regional council.

Critics have long demanded that the city exercise its rights to rescind the agreement though I believe there was also fear that the language of the deal was so porous that an effort to scrap it might face a legal challenge.

A staff report says it's not acceptable to give non-conforming developments indefinite approval rights. Under current planning rules, only about 20 floors would be allowed.

Here's the report.

I think there are few who would argue that United Gulf has not had more than enough time do something positive with this gaping wound in the heart of the city.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 8:36 PM

I have no expectation United Gulf will ever build here. The most we could expect from them is a development agreement and a sale of the site once the value is higher (the market value of the empty lot alone has probably improved quite a bit since they bought it).

Their last attempt at a building was 910 Bedford Highway, which was a nice looking building, but because they started work without all their permits, this is now the second makeshift quarry in the area. Things have been dead on this site for over a year.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
Halifax council will discuss on Tuesday whether to scrap the development agreement signed nine years ago with Navid Saberi for the former TexPark site.

As debated in these pages before, Saberi's United Gulf has been sitting on this site since he paid $5 million for it in 2004, beating out four other developers. Despite winning approval for the original "Twister Sisters" twin tower development that topped out at 27 stories, development never proceeded. He later returned with a proposal for the 48-storey Skye towers, which was rejected by regional council.

Critics have long demanded that the city exercise its rights to rescind the agreement though I believe there was also fear that the language of the deal was so porous that an effort to scrap it might face a legal challenge.

A staff report says it's not acceptable to give non-conforming developments indefinite approval rights. Under current planning rules, only about 20 floors would be allowed.

Here's the report

I think there are few who would argue that United Gulf has not had more than enough time do something positive with this gaping wound in the heart of the city.
So, wait, who owns the property? The City or UG? And are Council just doing to kill the DA? They're not going to re-take the land? Or they had never sold it, just signed a DA?

The City, as they have stupidly done in so many instances, when awarding UG, ignored superior proposals from developers with better reputations and track records and instead went with U.G. because they offered a little more money for the site (the City made the same idiotic mistake with the Bloomfield site).

If they had awarded to Southwest (who had bid), there'd likely already be a tower here. Idiocy in the City planning department.

Just take it back from these clown, give UG their 5m back; you'll get more from re-selling it today.

Last edited by counterfactual; Sep 17, 2016 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 11:45 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I have no expectation United Gulf will ever build here. The most we could expect from them is a development agreement and a sale of the site once the value is higher (the market value of the empty lot alone has probably improved quite a bit since they bought it).

Their last attempt at a building was 910 Bedford Highway, which was a nice looking building, but because they started work without all their permits, this is now the second makeshift quarry in the area. Things have been dead on this site for over a year.
Well, there is "The Boss" development.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
So, wait, who owns the property? The City or UG? And are Council just doing to kill the DA? They're not going to re-take the land? Or they had never sold it, just signed a DA?

The City, as they have stupidly done in so many instances, when awarding UG, ignored superior proposals from developers with better reputations and track records and instead went with U.G. because they offered a little more money for the site (the City made the same idiotic mistake with the Bloomfield site).

If they had awarded to Southwest (who had bid), there'd likely already be a tower here. Idiocy in the City planning department.

Just take it back from these clown, give UG their 5m back; you'll get more from re-selling it today.
Eminent Domain this sucker!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 9:25 AM

Halifax regional council has voted 10-6 to discharge Navid Saberi's development agreement for the former TexPark site. That means if Saberi wants to proceed with development of the site he'll need to come back with a new development proposal. Under the HRM by Design rules now in effect on the site, he'd be restricted to 21 storeys. That would put it at roughly the same height as the adjacent Roy and Maple projects.

Saberi had asked for another three-year extension to develop the site. In a letter to council he claimed he's been working with engineers to make the original "Twister Sisters" design more cost-effective. He won't get that chance.

Councillor Waye Mason spoke for the majority of councillors -- and I expect most of us here -- in saying 12 years is long enough.

But councillors McCluskey, Dalrymple, Whitman, Hendsbee, Walker and Adams voted to give the developer more time. McCluskey bemoaned the fact that "the lot will sit empty". Which was kind of the point: with an extension it was almost guaranteed to sit empty another three years.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
Halifax regional council has voted 10-6 to discharge Navid Saberi's development agreement for the former TexPark site. That means if Saberi wants to proceed with development of the site he'll need to come back with a new development proposal. Under the HRM by Design rules now in effect on the site, he'd be restricted to 21 storeys. That would put it at roughly the same height as the adjacent Roy and Maple projects.

IOW, another piece of the tabletop that DT Halifax is doomed to have under HRMxD. A shame.

Quote:
Councillor Waye Mason spoke for the majority of councillors -- and I expect most of us here -- in saying 12 years is long enough.
Mason never speaks for me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth