Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 4:39 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

boston - cambridge/harvard

boston - cambridge/harvard

last weekend -- was rainy

*** hope you enjoyed spending a little time around haahvaahd ***

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 5:00 PM
Community Guy

(http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...pscb13bb05.jpg)

This, redline and that basement japanese place was one of the most ridiculous nights out of my life... in a good and bad way.

Nice tour

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 5:24 PM
Resident Composer

Great thread, and I'm so glad New England Comics is still there! So many book bookstores in the area (and every other area...) had gone out of business in the past decade.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

*** hope you enjoyed spending a little time around haahvaahd ***

It's actually pronounced Haah-vid but you are forgiven because of the sensational pictures. Despite being in The People's Republic of Cambridge, i really love to go to Harvard Square

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 9:12 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for sharing! I feel happy seeing Cambridge and Harvard again. When we visited this area, three times myself, we enjoyed a lot at Harvard Campus. It´s a very lovely area in Boston.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 10:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
It's actually pronounced Haah-vid but you are forgiven because of the sensational pictures. Despite being in The People's Republic of Cambridge, i really love to go to Harvard Square
hmm, there might be more than one opinion on the pronounciation, but since you are from 'northie' i tip my tri-corner hat to yours. thanks and stay tuned you got a thread coming when i can get it together.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 12:02 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

The Subways have the TTC colours, but the buses have the HSR colours.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
hmm, there might be more than one opinion on the pronounciation, but since you are from 'northie' i tip my tri-corner hat to yours. thanks and stay tuned you got a thread coming when i can get it together.
if there's another pronunciation, i'd love to hear it. I cant wait for your next thread

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 5:10 PM
Resident Composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
if there's another pronunciation, i'd love to hear it. I cant wait for your next thread
One of the bus drivers on the 71/73 line always pronounced it Haah-vid, dead on; along with Stah Mahkit. There's another variation I remember that would sound more like Hawh-vud. Was this another regional accent, or perhaps transplants from New York? It reminded me of the Chicago accent, where I grew up, that also comes in a few different "flavors".

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 9:38 PM
Red brick mama.

Great little tour!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 2:04 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altauria View Post
One of the bus drivers on the 71/73 line always pronounced it Haah-vid, dead on; along with Stah Mahkit. There's another variation I remember that would sound more like Hawh-vud. Was this another regional accent, or perhaps transplants from New York? It reminded me of the Chicago accent, where I grew up, that also comes in a few different "flavors".
fwiw i heard all three pronounciation versions we mentioned here from the subway conductor, and you cant get anymore local than that. it was so local and funny to me i wrote it down in my iphone notes (i collect transit and other quotes i overhear): "yeah haahvaahd, haarvud, haarvud, haarvid squaah."

btw i started doing this in london years ago after they announced my fav transit quote of alltime so far: "thiss is a picadilly train to cockfosters." i dare you not to snigger at that one lol!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altauria View Post
the bus driver was not from here, trust me . There is no other accent for people that live here close to the city, only the real thick one and less thick. Mine is less thick, my wife's is thick off the charts! I do not agree with mrnyc, but we agree to disagree i guess. The further you get from the city center the less pronounced the accent gets until it's gone in the western part of the state. That's probably because why we consider western Mass another state There is more of the accent in Greater Providence than there is in Springfield

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos