HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 11:52 PM
A before E

maybe it is time for beaverton to actually put together a development plan for downtown beaverton rather than hoping rich developers will do that for them.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 2:42 AM

^I'm placing my bets Hillsboro has better potential for height and great bones for what could be a vibrant downtown, with height limits raised, FAR added, and dozens of parking lots redeveloped. There also is the new high rise neighborhood that is probably five years or so out from first ground breaking near Tanasbourne.

With the successful Orenco, and several new TOD style developments, Hillsboro is more willing to accept re/development I think. Maybe with Beaverton's new mayor, new hope? Anyone know his stand on development?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 4:29 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

^ Hillsboro is much better positioned than Beaverton to have a real, "urban", downtown. The street grid, all the govt and hospital jobs there, if it were not for the huge blocks (4X portland's) it would already be nice to walk around. I dont think Beaverton will be able to pull off building a city center from scratch.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 6:20 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsider View Post
^ Hillsboro is much better positioned than Beaverton to have a real, "urban", downtown. The street grid, all the govt and hospital jobs there, if it were not for the huge blocks (4X portland's) it would already be nice to walk around. I dont think Beaverton will be able to pull off building a city center from scratch.
That is the problem with Beaverton, they have a downtown in place that they are ignoring. But again, that is a whole beast of mistakes in itself.

Hillsboro is an interesting city. It is a big city that is becoming a collection of urban centers. I don't think downtown Hillsboro will ever be that big, but with the number of urban cores that they are willing to do, I dont think it will matter.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 7:05 PM
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That is the problem with Beaverton, they have a downtown in place that they are ignoring. But again, that is a whole beast of mistakes in itself.

-Hillsboro is an interesting city. It is a big city that is becoming a collection of urban centers. I don't think downtown Hillsboro will ever be that big, but with the number of urban cores that they are willing to do, I dont think it will matter.

-I was born and raised in Hillsboro, I remember when we only had about 35,000 people. When I was in my teens I lived 10 miles SOUTH of the city center out in the Scholls/Midway area, and I still had a Hillsboro address. Now I am back in the city in a traditional suburban neighborhood...

-The vast amount of open and available land gives Hillsboro alot of room to grow. Which is why there are so many urban areas started around each max stop and as the area grows and these projects are completed, people will continue to migrate around the transportation lines, if and when they get the Amberglen area started/completed in Tanasbourne, and it is a success, i think that the height will begin to come to other areas of hillsboro because it will then be viewed as trendy, but for the time being I think that any real height will be in new areas such as the amberglen area... versus downtown, there are alot of people that still oppose height downtown and want to preserve the small town feel, although the city has nearly tripled in size in my lifetime.......

-The large amount of high tech industrial sites too will continue to bring in new companies and provide fresh jobs, as well as bring new residents into freshly constructed housing because of our seemingly endless supply of land for subdivisions. I think that Hillsboro is on pace to be an extremely nice city for many years to, were just going to have to wait longer because were not in a situation where we can ONLY develop in certain areas.....we have so many choices on where development can occur that were still stuck with the 3-4 story apartment/townhouse blocks popping up....

another thing that is keeping the city from growing too fast is the lack of freeway access, and the choking traffic that happens along Tualatin Valley Highway (it takes me over a half hour each morning to get from 185th to 217 and Allen.....) the sunset highway is a headache at times and I avoid it at all costs and ride the max downtown when I have to go.

-If we had more options, such as the commuter line running along TV highway with it ending in either forest grove or at the downtown Hillsboro Max stop creating a complete loop for riders who need to make it into the core of Portland.....and or need to commute into hillsboro from the other suburbs.

-If we also extended the max to Forest grove.

-There are also some older lines on the northern side of highway 26 which we could run max out to north plains and loop back down along glencoe road into downtown completing a huge loop we could open up at least a hundred square miles for development.

-The current freight lines we have are not being used as frequently as they should and they need to be converted to Light rail, if we did even a few of these things we would see more dense growth along these lines, but until we have some connections to the 5 that arent choked at all times, more lightrail, easier freeway access for the southern portion of Hillsboro. Hillsboro will never completely get the type of large scale High tech industry that it seeks, because the freight doesnt move at the speed that it needs to. I read an article about this and how Hillsboro has to give all sorts of incentives to companies to get them to move here to offset the fact that we present a logistical nightmare for the smooth movement of freight.

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 7:53 AM

AlivE1!!

http://www.oregonlive.com/washington...apes_up_w.html
OHSU/AmberGlen plan shapes up with revisions
by Elizabeth Suh, The Oregonian
Thursday December 04, 2008, 3:01 AM

The 600-acre project may boost perimeter density and spread out parks
City of Hillsboro If the vision pans out in the next 20 years, a sky-high community of condos and ground-level shops would rise in Hillsboro's Tanasbourne area. The city is considering refining an earlier plan centered around a large park (shown) with elements of an alternate plan, which places parks throughout the area.

HILLSBORO -- More than two years after the vision for a community of high-rises in Tanasbourne -- the OHSU/AmberGlen project -- began to take shape, it is up for another revision.

Working with property owners and others, city leaders finished a concept plan in March 2007 that mapped out 600 acres by Northwest 185th Avenue and Cornell Road with retail, condos, offices and research centers, some in 20-story high-rises.

Since then, city leaders have continued to meet with property owners and developers to build buy-in for the vision, said Colin Cooper, city project manager.

The project has wide support, he said. The challenge is to foster the kind of development that will lead up to the market for high-rises by projected build-out in 20 years, he said.

The OHSU/AmberGlen project area is bounded to the east by 185th Avenue, to the south by the MAX line, to the west by 206th Avenue and to the north by Cornell Road until it meets Amberglen Parkway, where the boundary shifts to Walker Road.

The existing Tanasbourne district, Cooper said, has the makings for an urban center: a vibrant hub of retail and amenities close to high-quality jobs, the Sunset Highway and public transit.

"There is something special here," Cooper said. "The foundation for this vision is really not outlandish. It's really there."

Cooper said the city plans to refine the idea further, factoring in an alternate plan by some property owners that deviates from the original by dispersing parks throughout the area, rather than stacking buildings around a 36-acre central park. It also places higher densities closer to the edges of the site and winds streets around existing buildings.

The city hopes to hire a consultant by January, re-form the project's steering committee and ask the City Council to adopt a plan in late summer. Then work would move on to zoning districts and financing.

Developer inquiries have slowed in recent months, Cooper said, but the city and council are just as committed to the project.

Recent trends are toward more sustainable and self-contained districts with amenities and mixed uses, he said.

"I think it really points to the future," Cooper said. "I think it is the type of development that will be emerging out of this downturn in the economy when things are starting to happen again."

Since Cooper began working for the city in March, he said one national developer and three others have inquired about the project, particularly the plot by the Quatama MAX station in the southwest corner of the planning area that would be easiest to develop first.

The key tenant in the project area is Oregon Health & Science University, which has its West Campus off Northwest Amberglen Parkway and 185th Avenue with the Oregon National Primate Research Center, Neurological Sciences Institute, Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute and Department of Science and Engineering.

Some work is under way. OHSU will keep its campus but has sold some of its property to Polygon Northwest for about 400 housing units -- townhomes, condos and apartments -- Cooper said.

Portland Community College is building a three-floor work force training center in the project area by the Willowcreek MAX station near 185th Avenue and Baseline Road.

There also has been a recent explosion of development adjacent to the OHSU/AmberGlen area, with new restaurants, retail and housing along Cornell Road at 185th Avenue.

To learn more
For more about the OHSU/AmberGlen project, visit:
tinyurl.com/5fy99x

-- Elizabeth Suh; elizabethsuh@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 10:35 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

You forgot the rendering, silly:

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:12 AM
A before E

this is quite an impressive move for a suburb city anywhere, it is good to see Hillsboro is moving forward with this idea still.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 1:10 AM

Aloha | PCC Willow Creek Center | x Feet | x Floors | U/C

I was surprised when I rode past on the MAX and saw this building going up...
anyone have any renderings?

Something’s up in Aloha
Portland Community College building will be 95,000 square feet
Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 04:00 AM PST Friday, February 27, 2009
BY DAN CARTER

A post-tensioned concrete building is rising next to the MAX light-rail line near the intersection of Southwest 185th Avenue and West Baseline Road in Aloha. When completed in the fall, the Portland Community College Willow Creek Center will have 29 classrooms and house the Washington County Workforce Training Center. The three-story, 95,000-square-foot structure will include a rainwater reclamation system and photovoltaic array. The goal is for the project to be certified LEED gold. Skanska is the general contractor and GBD Architects is the designer of the project.

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...00-square-feet

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
You forgot the rendering, silly:

Wow... That would be something else sticking all the way out in Hillsboro...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 9:47 PM
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL View Post
Wow... That would be something else sticking all the way out in Hillsboro...
yes, i live about a half mile from this area.....I would really enjoy seeing it happen =)

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:15 PM

So good to see this kind of development ocurring in Portland,I hope it would go well, and that other suburban towns would be inspired by it. Because if Portland really wants to become green in terms of CO2 emissions it really has to focus on densifying the suburbs creating mixed use high density islands near to transit stations like in this project and also like what Vancouver has very successfully done allong it's Skytrain network.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 4:55 PM
momentum

PCC Willow Creek.

pretty interesting building going up at the Willow Creek Transit Center...185th in Hillsoboro

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 10:53 PM

Does any body have or know where to find recent pictures and information about Orenco Station?

I'm curious to know how it has progressed, but currently i'm overseas and its also very difficult to find info about it. I think its an excellent project, I would be glad if you could help me out in this.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Cosmopolitan View Post
Does any body have or know where to find recent pictures and information about Orenco Station?

I'm curious to know how it has progressed, but currently i'm overseas and its also very difficult to find info about it. I think its an excellent project, I would be glad if you could help me out in this.
Here there are silly.

Photos from Flickr made by adrimcm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99887786@N00/3505475299/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99887786@N00/3505480509/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99887786@N00/3506284094/

Not much change.

Last edited by MR. Cosmopolitan; Sep 19, 2009 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 5:23 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Cosmopolitan View Post

To be honest, things aren't going too well there. Those apartments on the south side of Cornell are finished and there is retail on the ground floor at the corner of Cornell & Orenco Station Pkwy (across Cornell from the original Orenco Station mixed use places). I thought that was a good sign, but the economy hasn't helped it out much... there were shops in 3 of the 4 available spaces south of Cornell, but two have since gone under and the only one remaining is a "Salon Bar" (no bar, just a salon as far as I know). Hopefully when things pick up those others will fill in again.

I think it's good to see mixed use places, but really the shops that have gone in there on both sides of Cornell are not very interesting. They're mostly upscale and pretty boring (a wine shop, a "natural" pet store, a luggage place - now gone, a "global bazaar" - now gone, a hazelnut store - now gone, plus some restaurants and a Starbucks that are still there). There is a Japanese restaurant that's opening on the north side of Cornell... maybe it will be ok. I would like to see a convenience store or fast food place or something, but I don't know if the HOA there would go for it.

Still, it's better than a strip mall, and it's nice to see people walking around in a suburb like this. I'm headed to the farmers market there in an hour or so and there are always lots of people there. The activity is not anywhere near the level of neighborhoods in Portland (which is why I take all my photos in the city as opposed to in my own neighborhood ), but at least it's not all cul-de-sacs and parking lots.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 9:31 PM
=)

Hillsboro (Tanasbourne) Keizer Hospital

I have collected only a few pictures so far of the construction. I pass it everyday, looks to be a good project =D definitely good for the West Side

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 1:10 PM
Karma Police

Haven't heard of this. Do you have more information? Renderings, architect, construction timeline, anything?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:11 PM
zzzzzzzz

There is a tower crane up for it, but I'm supprised (skeptical) about the 13 floors. I drove by and saw a rendering of a building that didn't look anywhere near that tall.

Here's some info...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_...Medical_Center

and the only rendering I found online after a quick search...

(image source... http://www.beavertonvalleytimes.com/...75978784488100 )

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 9:03 PM
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekkle View Post
There is a tower crane up for it, but I'm supprised (skeptical) about the 13 floors. I drove by and saw a rendering of a building that didn't look anywhere near that tall.)
You're right, Its due to be finished in 2013...my mistake...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon