HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:00 PM

Well the people wanted a dog park downtown, they got one. Not many places to put this thing unless the City scooped up a surface lot somewhere. Which isn't a bad idea. I would be interested to know what the dog population is downtown. The dog park lobby is strong. lol

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:04 PM

I'm not a dog person so I have no dog in this fight (heh), but I've been to a number of larger cities where there are nice dog parks that are great little amenities and they tend to be busy, so they have the spinoff benefit of animating the neighbourhood a bit. I honestly don't see why anyone would get their shorts in a bunch over this one.

As it is now, I often see people walking dogs in the Exchange, so the demand must be there... not sure how Bro-Ass compares.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Plenty of places to live, they are called houses.

Maybe try to consider others living in the save block having to listen to other people's pointless creatures barking their heads off all day.
I agree, as a dog owner myself the entitlement some dog owners seem to have in demanding drinking fountains for dogs in parks, dedicated dog parks etc. is over the top.

Somehow dogs now trump the wishes of people, Bowman proves again what an idiot he really is and shows that he was once a lawyer in another life, refusal to budge on any stand he takes, right or wrong.

Leave Bonnycastle Park alone, people living downtown don't have enough green spaces never mind dogs!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:43 PM

Bonnycastle Park is empty and sketchy. If dogs use it, at least that's closer to people using it than to nobody using it.

And the condos of Bro Ass do house a lot of dogs.

That said, I agree about the dog lobby in this city. Particularly annoying were the dog owners opposing the SW transitway because their dogs play in the parker lands, and the charleswood parkway opposition, whose dogs play in the abandoned golf course. Both are suburban locations, and in charleswood's case, most people live on an acre with a literal field behind that.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:39 PM

The Crocus sign is bye-bye

from Free Press "McKim, which has been a tenant in the six-storey building since 2005, had approached the previous owner about 10 years ago about acquiring the naming rights to the building.

"But it was just not affordable at the time," he said, so the company put the idea on the back burner until about a year-and-a-half ago, when the building was converted into commercial condominiums and it purchased 2 1/2 floors (about 19,000 square feet).

"Once we became an owner in the space, it just made sense (to reapply for the naming rights). We presented our idea to the board of directors of the building, and it was approved."

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:56 PM

Good to see a new sign on the former Crocus Building.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:00 PM

^ I'm surprised it took them so long... how naive would you have to be to think that people would all of a sudden start thinking of the provincial flower instead of the investment fund whose implosion devastated the finances of some Manitobans and which used to be headquartered there?

"Crocus" was just a bad reminder of that sad debacle.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:33 PM
Spiritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Seven of the closest high rise apartments don't allow dogs.
Care to name them Riverman?

I'm a cat person, so I wouldn't know. Meow.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:25 AM

Do not go to Bonny-Castle Park after 10PM. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:32 AM
BANNED

So you get propositioned. Hahahaha.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 8:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Bonnycastle Park is empty and sketchy. If dogs use it, at least that's closer to people using it than to nobody using it.

And the condos of Bro Ass do house a lot of dogs.

That said, I agree about the dog lobby in this city. Particularly annoying were the dog owners opposing the SW transitway because their dogs play in the parker lands, and the charleswood parkway opposition, whose dogs play in the abandoned golf course. Both are suburban locations, and in charleswood's case, most people live on an acre with a literal field behind that.

ive gone to that park setup a genny and some spkrs and lights to setup the bike jam after party only to have some sketch kids go light some big bang fire crackers that caused a gun call resulting in 20 officers showing up all the suddenly on me not fun... then getting an ear full about the park being closed from the downtown district officer. since when are parks closed at night guy looked at me like i was on crack i had no idea and the signage there is poorly done the iniatial officers thought what i was up to was brilliant district officer not so..

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 8:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Do not go to Bonny-Castle Park after 10PM. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
yea i learned that the hardway way see above post... and its closed after 10

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 8:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
So you get propositioned. Hahahaha.
i got offerd beer actualy

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm surprised it took them so long... how naive would you have to be to think that people would all of a sudden start thinking of the provincial flower instead of the investment fund whose implosion devastated the finances of some Manitobans and which used to be headquartered there?

"Crocus" was just a bad reminder of that sad debacle.
If you read the whole article, it talks about how no one had the $ to do it. It's mostly Arts groups located in there and majority of them are on a shoestring budget or are sucking the gov't titties

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:53 PM

There finally seems to be some development activity of the plot of land on Edison just east of Rothesay. Looks like they are laying down utilities now. Whoever owns that land has been trying to develop it for the last almost decade now.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
There finally seems to be some development activity of the plot of land on Edison just east of Rothesay. Looks like they are laying down utilities now. Whoever owns that land has been trying to develop it for the last almost decade now.
That land was for sale as of last year. If there's action on site, someone must've bought it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:24 PM

News article from CTV. This paragraph stood out.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/modern-...d082af80a94101
Modern urban design is literally killing us, say experts

Lee said cities should be designed to prioritize walking, cycling and transit, offer neighbourhood parks and facilities, bring healthy food amenities close to home and work and build buildings that offer options for exercise and meditation.

Yes please, more of this.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:30 PM

^ Much easier to live a healthy lifestyle when there are actually things to walk to and provisions made for active transportation.

I am always amazed when I visit suburbs in some cities (often American) where there are no sidewalks, minimal public transportation and you have to drive absolutely everywhere.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
There was a condo project planned for that site years ago that fell through.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:09 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I am always amazed when I visit suburbs in some cities (often American) where there are no sidewalks, minimal public transportation and you have to drive absolutely everywhere.
I am even more surprised when I see people driving on golf courses instead of walking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan