HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

159SW in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 4:36 AM

TORONTO | 159 Wellesley Street East | M / FT | 38 FLOORS

http://thetorontoblog.com/2011/06/08...ey-sherbourne/

Quote:
Corner condo: Another condo tower has been proposed for the northeast downtown residential neighbourhood at Wellesley & Sherbourne Streets. This latest development proposal — a 326-unit, 38 -storey building with street-level retail space and four levels of underground parking — would rise on the southwest corner of Wellesley and Sherbourne, the former site of a Beaver gas station and Baker’s Dozen donut shop. It would be similar in height to two recently-constructed condo towers right across the street: Verve, just one block west at the corner of Wellesley Street and Homewood Avenue, and 500 Sherbourne, one block north at the corner of Sherbourne Street and Lourdes Lane. The site sits kitty-corner to St James Town, a densely-populated neighbourhood with nearly 20 rental apartment highrise buildings, and is just two blocks west of the popular Cabbagetown residential district.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 3:19 PM
gettin' rich!

Perfectly colour coordinated for the gay village on it's march east into the immigrant hood of St. Jamestown.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 9:34 PM

I like the shape. It's a nice change that's for sure. It's hard to tell how it will turn out in real life. This could be a big hit or a miss!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 7:11 PM
gettin' rich!

In this area, no one will care how it looks, you can't loose, when you put up a modern condo which abutts up onto St. Jamestown. - It's like putting a diamond ring next to dog poo!

www.ysm.ca

I use to live in the building at the extreme right of the picture 35 years ago! (when i was a baby!)

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 4:08 AM

^ I have an old high school friend who moved out and lived for a year or so in St. Jamestown. I think it's in a building just south of there, because that view looks familiar. I actually visited once. To be honest, apart from being old the interiors weren't so bad. Very diverse community. Too bad tower-in-the-parks are so suburban-ly planned because I felt the ground level was quite lively and has potential. This neighbourhood gets a bad rep but I think it's gentrifying quickly. The condos along Sherbourne have helped integrate the rugged eastside back into the downtown mainstream. Would be nice to see some exterior restoration though on some of these old buildings though.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 4:29 AM

Apparently some of the St Jamestown stock near bloor will be spruced up by the developer of one of the proposed "infill" highrises.

I believe this includes a repainting common areas, new rugs, and replacing the pavement which is in awful condition. Don't think anything is planned for the units themselves as that would be very costly.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 4:56 AM

I don't know if I'm sold on the colors or not, at least it is colors through glass instead of paint on concrete... This may work, or it may not. Want to see more renderings.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 10:00 PM

That Ava woman (with the "monster" comment) sounds like the prototypical NIMBY bitch. lol

http://thetorontoblog.com/2011/10/18...rea-residents/

Wellesley/Sherbourne condo tower proposal gets rough ride at city meeting with area residents

18 Oct 2011

Photos are the article link

Quote:
Strong opposition: A proposal for a 38-storey condo tower at the intersection of Wellesley and Sherbourne Streets has drawn fire from area residents who think the project is too tall, sorely lacks green space, family-sized units and adequate parking facilities, and will seriously worsen congestion in what is already one of the world’s most densely-populated downtown neighbourhoods.
Quote:
Diamondcorp has proposed a 38-storey tower with 326 condos, of which 216 would be 1-bedroom and the rest 2-bedroom units. There would be no 3-bedroom suites. The building would have a 4-storey podium with 2,300 square feet of street-level retail space and three residential floors, topped by a 34-storey point tower. A gym, party room, lounge and outdoor amenity space would be situated atop the podium on the fifth floor.
Quote:
Designed by Quadrangle Architects Limited of Toronto, the 116-meter highrise would feature gentle curves, a masonry-clad podium, and distinctive coloured glass panels on its corner windows. The tower would be set back 3 meters from Sherbourne Street, 4 metres from Wellesley Street, 5 meters from the laneway to its west, and 3.5 metres from the 3-storey retail and apartment building to its south.
Quote:
Les Klein, a principal of Quadrangle Architects, described the project’s architectural elements. He said he was “very excited” by 159 Wellesley East, which he called a “classic City of Toronto infill development project” featuring “high quality urban design.”
Quote:
“We have taken the incredible challenges of the unique shape of the site,” he said, and designed a tower that is “very different from the typical glass boxes” seen throughout the City. Quadrangle’s tower design features “gentler curves” instead of “sharp edges,” and wherever the building curves, “we’ve introduced a series of coloured panels,” Mr. Klein said. He added that the four-storey podium is “in keeping” with the height of the elementary school just south of the site, as well as the Wellesley Central Place/Rekai Centre for long-term care on the north side of Wellesley Street.
Quote:
Many in the audience objected to the fact the condo building will extend right to the edge of the property line, against the Wellesley and Sherbourne Street sidewalks, offering absolutely no landscaping or greenery of any kind at street level. Only the fifth-floor amenity space would have landscaping.
Quote:
Other speakers echoed those sentiments, pointing out that the neighbourhood lacks green space and public amenities, while those that do exist — including the relatively new community centre and the St James Town branch of the Toronto public library — are already being used to full capacity.
LMAO!

Quote:
However, the woman from 200 Wellesley replied that the tower “is probably the very worst thing that we could have in that area. That highrise will be filled with drugs, pimps and prostitutes.”

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
gettin' rich!

Another Tower that has fallen off the radar, need to get an update on the community meetings to see where this one is at in the approvals process. Been almost two months, should have some prelim reports by now.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 1:48 PM
arf

This is so cool. The towers not much, but the colors are groovy.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 9:13 PM
gettin' rich!

This project is probably at least a year away from heading into sales.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 5:27 PM

Updated renderings courtesy of AlbertC at UT.

This one is 35 stories.

Tower proposed is to the left of this photo.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:21 PM
Midtowner since 2K

August Update

I had no idea there was a thread for this project, here's an update from August 8th:
[IMG]TJ081631 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 4:06 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Welp, I haven't provided a good update yet...here's the site today. There were a lot of trucks that were rolling through the SFH/apt neighbourhood adjacent to this project:
[IMG]Today by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 12:16 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Today

I'd expect a crane by this year....
[IMG]DSC_7791 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:30 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Today (Camera shots)

Under Construction....
TJ195048 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
TJ195050 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 10:40 PM
Midtowner since 2K

The site has now met grade, I took the following yesterday;
DSC_0218 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:03 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Taken six days ago....getting big;
DSC_1133 by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:57 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Yesterday, now it's actually getting pretty big..
20200609_180541 by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
20200609_181253 by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
20200609_181256 by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:51 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Yesterday, taken off my cell phone

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive