HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:05 PM

Wow -- it looks completely different from the West and in a photo-realistic rendering. In time, the rooftop might become a very popular special event venue. It will look down over the pond and will have an excellent view of Downtown, a partial view of Midtown, and a commanding eastward view right down the middle of a built-out 17th Street. It might be nice. Time is our friend, so we will see...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:37 PM
Reliable Source

Now THERE'S a contrarian if I ever saw one.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:43 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Now THERE'S a contrarian if I ever saw one.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
No, true stucco.
But its just more fun to say "fake stucco".

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 9:10 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
Wow -- it looks completely different from the West and in a photo-realistic rendering. In time, the rooftop might become a very popular special event venue. It will look down over the pond and will have an excellent view of Downtown, a partial view of Midtown, and a commanding eastward view right down the middle of a built-out 17th Street. It might be nice. Time is our friend, so we will see...
Hey now!!! Enough of that...get with the program!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 9:23 PM

I always considered myself a contrarian old coot until I joined this forum. But around here I have begun to sound like an advocate for positive thinking!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 5:18 AM
Atlanta Native

Novare's Atlantic is only 4 stories up and only now just a little more than halfway done with its parking deck. Even at this early stage it is easily 3 times larger than that stupid arch. How is it that the Atlantic can be so far along and so much larger and the Millennium Gate is still not finished. You can go a week and see only a few things accomplished with the gate. Keep in mind that the gate and the tower both started at close to the same time. It just makes no sense to me.

Of course it doesn't make much since putting a neo classical arch in AS either... oh well.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrek777 View Post
Of course it doesn't make much since putting a neo classical arch in AS either... oh well.
I think it fits in well with the cheaply built apartments just behind it... same materials and all....

To be honest I'm waiting for the return of the obelisk. I think we could use a few of them around town...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 10:44 PM

Ok what is the purpose of having a monument at Atlantic Station? I mean is it just for decoration or landmark please explain!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Novare's Atlantic is only 4 stories up and only now just a little more than halfway done with its parking deck. Even at this early stage it is easily 3 times larger than that stupid arch. How is it that the Atlantic can be so far along and so much larger and the Millennium Gate is still not finished. You can go a week and see only a few things accomplished with the gate. Keep in mind that the gate and the tower both started at close to the same time. It just makes no sense to me.
Arch building is a laborious process requiring a lot of Old World hand craftsmanship. You can't just slap one of these things up. There are only a few people left who can do this sort of thing.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 11:19 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepnut View Post
Ok what is the purpose of having a monument at Atlantic Station? I mean is it just for decoration or landmark please explain!
Because you have to have a place in Midtown for a Georgia/Atlanta museum that is barely big wnough to sneeze in! Don't you see how much we need this McMonument to no one in an area where it has no historical signifigance?!?! Geezee some people can be so negative.

hehehe I'm just having fun this thread is full of my scathing remarks for this structure.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 11:58 PM

I swear, such primadonnas.

Many people seem to forget that our city is still growing. Just as in those cities that have existed for hundreds of years, monuments/construction that 'inspire' awe in tourists were, at many times, ridiculed by the local populace. I shall bring up a particular landmark that may have already been written of here: La Tour Eiffel, or the Eiffel Tower. It was considered a monstrosity of steel when it was developed for the World's Fair in Paris just over one hundred years ago, yet it is now considered the symbol that epitomises Paris the world over.

Now I am not saying that the Millenium Arch, here, in Atlanta is slated to be come the next Eiffel Tower. What I am saying is that it would be more prudent to withhold judgment and just let the thing BE. Who knows what 17th Street will be like in 25-50 or even 100 years?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 12:44 AM
BANNED

I have to agree with the "gentleman" above. I don't see anything wrong with it. I think once it is done and AS fills in, we will eat our words.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:30 AM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTviajero81 View Post
I swear, such primadonnas.

Many people seem to forget that our city is still growing.

Who knows what 17th Street will be like in 25-50 or even 100 years?
17th street will be a street that has a monument on it that's crooked, dedicated to no one, and built for the sake of having one built. It will stand as a testimate to what a monument built out of concrete can look like. I'm sorry the thing is stupid even if it ends up looking the slightest bit cute the structure will still be stupid.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:03 AM

Quote:
17th street will be a street that has a monument on it that's crooked, dedicated to no one, and built for the sake of having one built. It will stand as a testimate to what a monument built out of concrete can look like. I'm sorry the thing is stupid even if it ends up looking the slightest bit cute the structure will still be stupid.
Here is where I shall respectfully disagree with you.

The Eiffel Tower (sorry for continually bringing this particular monument up but I feel that most know what it is) was not built or dedicated to anyone either. And to call the monument crooked? I am not sure that I follow. Do you see a young person whilst they are in puberty and say that they will look out of proportion for the rest of their life? I think not. We tell our children to don't worry about the teenage years as they will grow out of the awkwardness.

To call a structure 'stupid' doesn't really mean much. Such a subjective remark requires a better explanation. I do stand by my previous conviction that I think it premature to judge something that hasn't even been completed.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:35 AM

I've seen the Eiffel Tower. The Eiffel Tower is my friend. This, sir, is no Eiffel Tower (of course, most forumers aren't old enough to remember Lloyd Bentsen, so this probably isn't very funny...)

It is absolutely true that many great works were misunderstood in their day and no one can say with 100% certainty that L'Arche d'Ikea will not become a major Atlanta landmark celebrated in poetry and song (and postcards). But I think that most "misunderstood" architecture was misunderstood because it was daring, bizarre (as Eiffel's tower was considered), or otherwise strange. L'Arche d'Ikea is none of these -- it is very tame, very derivative, appeals to very middle-brow tastes (gee, Ma, it's like we're in Par-ee, France!). We get it. Really. It is not mysterious or weird. It is just tacky and sad. That's why I don't think this will become any more of a landmark than the pathetic torch sitting on the east side of the Connector that does little more than mock Atlanta.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:04 AM

Quote:
17th street will be a street that has a monument on it that's crooked, dedicated to no one, and built for the sake of having one built. It will stand as a testimate [sic] to what a monument built out of concrete can look like. I'm sorry the thing is stupid even if it ends up looking the slightest bit cute the structure will still be stupid.
And if your post should survive three hundred years, would it be a testament to poor spelling? Seriously, one misspelled word does not mean anything on an internet forum post -- but aren't the "little quirks" what make some things special? So what if the arch was oriented to that crooked segment of 17th Street? The arch stands where the street turns between a boulevard of tall towers and a divided road wrapping a lake in a village of mid-rise residences, and I believe this "crooked" orientation will allow some great angled views. And while nobody knows what the area will look like in another sixty or seventy years, I suspect the scene will be beautiful and people will enjoy it. At least by then, all the critics will be dead and the arch will seem to have always been there -- the real key to critically-acclaimed monuments!

I have to stand with GTviajero81 and Behind_Phips on this one. Sorry, Behind_Phips.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:17 AM

I noticed over the last few days, gigantic blocks being hauled around for this monument. They were at least 1ft. thick, maybe even 2ft... but my first thought was they looked like blocks for the Pyramids. Anyway, I couldn't tell if they were concrete or granite, but if I had to guess, I'd say they were granite blocks.

That could explain the seemingly slow progress... hanging a bunch of those blocks could take a while.

As for the arch being "crooked", I prefer it that way. I think it'll give the north-facing walls a bit of sunlight in the Summer months... it will not appear 'flat' to westward drivers on 17th... and slightly offset is sometimes better than perfectly straight.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
And if your post should survive three hundred years, would it be a testament to poor spelling? Seriously, one misspelled word does not mean anything on an internet forum post -- but aren't the "little quirks" what make some things special? So what if the arch was oriented to that crooked segment of 17th Street? The arch stands where the street turns between a boulevard of tall towers and a divided road wrapping a lake in a village of mid-rise residences, and I believe this "crooked" orientation will allow some great angled views. And while nobody knows what the area will look like in another sixty or seventy years, I suspect the scene will be beautiful and people will enjoy it. At least by then, all the critics will be dead and the arch will seem to have always been there -- the real key to critically-acclaimed monuments!

I have to stand with GTviajero81 and Behind_Phips on this one. Sorry, Behind_Phips.
MarketsWork - I thought we had an accord that we were never to agree in public.

The Millennium Gate Monument sucks.

Last edited by Behind_Phips; Jan 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTviajero81 View Post
To call a structure 'stupid' doesn't really mean much. Such a subjective remark requires a better explanation. I do stand by my previous conviction that I think it premature to judge something that hasn't even been completed.
And as we like to say here in Atlanta, think of how much future development this arch will spur!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta