HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 3:22 PM

New Crane?

Anyone else notice a new crane in Tempe? I tried to peek from the 202. It seemed to be just west of Rural, and south of University but I could be wrong. Another ASU bio building going up?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Anyone else notice a new crane in Tempe? I tried to peek from the 202. It seemed to be just west of Rural, and south of University but I could be wrong. Another ASU bio building going up?
Building C:

https://biodesign.asu.edu/about/institute/master-plan

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 8:06 AM

The entire presentation of the district is in Tempe's minutes, and it's just so... typical ASU/Tempe. All of the retail faces new interior roadways and resident parks, not Rural or Rio Salado or University; and, the entire north side of SDS is left untouched, which is the one chance to make a connection between ASU, Downtown, and the Lake at once. Nothing about this is coordinated with downtown Tempe and will do exactly what I thought it would -- cannibalize the energy created by other employers from the City for this District that is inaccessible and disconnected.

At best case, a bunch of lowrise offices are being built in a suburb... ? I'll take a tower downtown, thanks. Luckily, as with Mill/Uni, College Ave, etc., ASU tends to never follow through on their ventures, so...

Meanwhile, the Tempe Council is just now creating a visioning doc for downtown... now that Rio Salado has been built out, ASU has finalized its conflicting plans, and the last real development opp looks to be going to a student housing developer. Uhh, great timing. With the west side barring projects over 6 stories, the land west of TCA being used for a spec Biomedical Campus that is totally unnecessary, and the influx of student housing on the east side, I don't see why people are so high on Tempe... I wish Phoenix had SOME kind of geographic focal point damn it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The entire presentation of the district is in Tempe's minutes, and it's just so... typical ASU/Tempe. All of the retail faces new interior roadways and resident parks, not Rural or Rio Salado or University; and, the entire north side of SDS is left untouched, which is the one chance to make a connection between ASU, Downtown, and the Lake at once. Nothing about this is coordinated with downtown Tempe and will do exactly what I thought it would -- cannibalize the energy created by other employers from the City for this District that is inaccessible and disconnected.

At best case, a bunch of lowrise offices are being built in a suburb... ? I'll take a tower downtown, thanks. Luckily, as with Mill/Uni, College Ave, etc., ASU tends to never follow through on their ventures, so...

Meanwhile, the Tempe Council is just now creating a visioning doc for downtown... now that Rio Salado has been built out, ASU has finalized its conflicting plans, and the last real development opp looks to be going to a student housing developer. Uhh, great timing. With the west side barring projects over 6 stories, the land west of TCA being used for a spec Biomedical Campus that is totally unnecessary, and the influx of student housing on the east side, I don't see why people are so high on Tempe... I wish Phoenix had SOME kind of geographic focal point damn it.
Somebody hold my drink.....

-What's wrong with focusing the retail around a pedestrian friendly "neighborhood" environment? Some areas have opportunity for retail along the major arteries. Plus that's not to say that each development such as the high density residential could opt to add retail along Rural if it makes sense and follows the guidelines. Again this is planning document and doesn't guarantee it will look like this when its built out.

-There's a whole pedestrian corridor that leads from the center of this development to the lake....

-There is more here than just another highrise....this project as a mix of densities, land uses and heights. This will create a walkable neighborhood/ urban campus that will be 24/7...something that one highrise won't achieve....and wont rely on a August-May student population to flourish....

-I am sure the area north of the stadium will be earmarked for development at a later date.

-I agree with your last point. However, I think Tempe will still have some redevelopment opportunities in other parts of Tempe thanks to its "progressive" zoning policies.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

With Tempe built out that office demand will go to other areas like downtown and the Camelback Corridor.

that's fine everyone's be horn-dogging for Tempe recently. Share the love

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 6:39 PM

I noticed the other day the Salt River Tribe has already started to clearing land off of McClintock and the 202. There were tractors leveling earth. So maybe the soccer complex is happening sooner rather than later?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 3:01 PM

I drove by the Pier location and saw a couple tractors and some material. Not sure if its been sitting there for years but fingers crossed.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
I drove by the Pier location and saw a couple tractors and some material. Not sure if its been sitting there for years but fingers crossed.
I really hope so!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician View Post
The city needs to do something about the frats and can't wait until they get out of the residential neighborhoods and have their own on campus housing. A fraternity is renting this house in our neighborhood that has a wall. There are charter busses every weekend busing in sorority girls and they blast music all night.

sounds like fun can i get the address and a time when the parties start?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 9:53 PM

New (I think) renderings for the proposed ASU-affiliated senior living tower at University/Mill, "Mirabella":

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
New (I think) renderings for the proposed ASU-affiliated senior living tower at University/Mill, "Mirabella":

Im 27 and the last thing I want to be around is college students, why would any retired person want to live on Mill?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Im 27 and the last thing I want to be around is college students, why would any retired person want to live on Mill?
Hah, I completely agree.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 10:51 PM

I hope that's ground floor retail on all four elevations so JJ won't be angered!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I hope that's ground floor retail on all four elevations so JJ won't be angered!
He'll also demand a new BRT line and perhaps a base for those dial-a-rides.

All kidding aside... I think the point of this is that it ties into an ASU geriatric program or something correct? I though that was the reason why this is essentially on campus

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That's a great looking building.

Also, attending ASU level classes on subjects you've always been interested in + walking to Gammage or StreetCar to ASU sporting events > rotting your brain away with kino and shuffleboard in Sun City. I hope they have vacancy there when I'm 65.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post

Also, attending ASU level classes on subjects you've always been interested in + walking to Gammage or StreetCar to ASU sporting events > rotting your brain away with kino and shuffleboard in Sun City. I hope they have vacancy there when I'm 65.
Hey don't get me wrong, people have different tastes. I don't get this one lol

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:23 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post

Agreed. All of that sounds like a good retirement to me. Plus, I intend to be a dirty old man who enjoys the eye candy.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
Agreed. All of that sounds like a good retirement to me. Plus, I intend to be a dirty old man who enjoys the eye candy.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 8:05 PM

The new apartment proposal for Aura/ Watermark look good!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
The new apartment proposal for Aura/ Watermark look good!
what new proposal?

Also any news on if the Foundry is happening or not? Also whatever happened with the ash proposal

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest