HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Another 3,200 jobs could be coming to Tempe at a new development being built at the Loop 202 and 101 freeways.

Freedom Financial Network — a Silicon Valley based online financial services and debt consolidation firm — has inked a 300,000-square-foot lease at Rio2100.

That is a 52-acre development being built by The Boyer Co.

FFN already has approximately 1,600 workers in the region and wants to double that number at the new campus.

More info on the FFN development.

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/...pe-development

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quite a bit of new equipment and material on The Pier site in the last week or so. They were moving dirt around this morning.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Quite a bit of new equipment and material on The Pier site in the last week or so. They were moving dirt around this morning.
I'm not familiar with this project, could you tell me what it is? I've been trying to find something!

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jward145 View Post
I'm not familiar with this project, could you tell me what it is? I've been trying to find something!
No problem. It is one of the better looking proposals in Tempe, but it's always also seemed (to me at least) like one of the least likely to actually be built. Here is the packet for the Tempe Development Review Commission with project details:

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=44468

Rendering:

Location is along the south side of Tempe Town Lake, east of Rural.

I haven't seen that they have applied for building permits or anything like that, so I'm not sure what the dirt moving portends exactly, but I'm hoping it's something.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
That's because W6 was envisioned originally as condos geared towards professionals and empty nesters but was finished as market rate apartments.

the building is beat up too. one of the reasons i moved out.

it was supposed to be 4 towers i believe way back in the day.

the top of west 6th - open concrete almost looks unfinished

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:54 AM

Quote:
No problem. It is one of the better looking proposals in Tempe, but it's always also seemed (to me at least) like one of the least likely to actually be built. Here is the packet for the Tempe Development Review Commission with project details:

Rendering:

I haven't seen that they have applied for building permits or anything like that, so I'm not sure what the dirt moving portends exactly, but I'm hoping it's something.
This also seemed like an extreme long-shot for me. But it's fantastic and I really hope they surprise me and move forward. It could open up an entirely new high-rise market for older professionals and retirees away from Mill and near the freeways and Tempe Marketplace, but still on the lake.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:24 PM

Carvana Machine!

Quote:

Rendering:

Thank you for this! I'm crossing my fingers on this as well. It's so exciting to see major developments changing the Valley.

Also noticed this on ABEX today, renderings of the Carvana machine in Tempe:

Link as well:

http://azbex.com/tempe-may-get-carvana-vending-machine/

This is taller than most others seen in Texas and Tennessee! It'll be a really cool addition to the city!

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jward145 View Post

Link as well:

http://azbex.com/tempe-may-get-carvana-vending-machine/

This is taller than most others seen in Texas and Tennessee! It'll be a really cool addition to the city!
Looks like something out of a 1950's magazine story of how the future was going be.

LOVE IT

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 6:19 PM
BANNED

It's a vertical parking garage. Just what this city needs and what neighbors need to look up at. A gimmick we all have to see. If this is the future, the future is f'in ugly.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 7:53 PM
Skyriser

That Carvana thing is a total eyesore. It is the exact opposite of what should be built on a a mass transit corridor or street as important as Scottsdale Rd or near the lake.

I can't imagine why anyone would be welcoming of it, and I hope they shoot it the hell down.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 8:00 PM
self-important urbanista

My only worry is what happens to these vending machine towers if ever Carvana goes out of business. Can they be adapted for some other use, or do they become eyesores? I supposed if they can hold the weight of all those cars, they could hold the weight of anything else, including people and furniture.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
It's a vertical parking garage. Just what this city needs and what neighbors need to look up at. A gimmick we all have to see. If this is the future, the future is f'in ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
That Carvana thing is a total eyesore. It is the exact opposite of what should be built on a a mass transit corridor or street as important as Scottsdale Rd or near the lake.

I can't imagine why anyone would be welcoming of it, and I hope they shoot it the hell down.
Do you killjoy's even know where this is? Its an empty lot on the north side of the 202 across from a Scrap yard and a strip club and sandwiched between a highway on-ramp and a crappy hotel.

Its not on a transit line, its not on the lake and all anyone will see is 6 floors of shiny brand new cars in a box as they fly by at 75 mph.

I think its great

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 9:34 PM
BANNED

Killjoys? It's other people's opinions. Do others have to pass our opinions by you to see if it's OK to post? Obadno, every time you get hungry you turn into a diva. Eat a Snickers.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 9:38 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Do you killjoy's even know where this is? Its an empty lot on the north side of the 202 across from a Scrap yard and a strip club and sandwiched between a highway on-ramp and a crappy hotel.

Its not on a transit line, its not on the lake and all anyone will see is 6 floors of shiny brand new cars in a box as they fly by at 75 mph.

I think its great
There's not one accurate statement in your entire post.

Your location is wrong: it directly fronts Scottsdale Rd. https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=48794

Scottsdale Rd is not a transit street? The 72 supergrid bus doesn't exist? Nobody's ever thought about higher capacity transit there?

It's not 6 floors, it's 93 feet tall. This will be one of the tallest things around, taller than any of the nearby condos or apartments. If you don't think this will be visible from the lake areas, you need to get your eyes checked.

And it's for USED CARS, not new ones. What possible advantage or "great" thing is there to an 93' tall used car machine, especially near some of the most valuable real estate in Arizona?

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
There's not one accurate statement in your entire post.

Your location is wrong: it directly fronts Scottsdale Rd. https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=48794

Scottsdale Rd is not a transit street? The 72 supergrid bus doesn't exist? Nobody's ever thought about higher capacity transit there?

It's not 6 floors, it's 93 feet tall. This will be one of the tallest things around, taller than any of the nearby condos or apartments. If you don't think this will be visible from the lake areas, you need to get your eyes checked.

And it's for USED CARS, not new ones. What possible advantage or "great" thing is there to an 93' tall used car machine, especially near some of the most valuable real estate in Arizona?

You are completely mischaracterizing this neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4373...thuser=0&hl=en

That is the street view. From 30 feet up on the highway it will be six floors of glass car tower.

Carvana is a growing local business and I think this is a great visible spot for this goofy concept.

Look at the street view, nobody is going build condos or apartments of street facing retail on that parcel, the county island chop-shops and strip joints across the street arent going anywhere any time soon.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You are completely mischaracterizing this neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4373...thuser=0&hl=en

That is the street view. From 30 feet up on the highway it will be six floors of glass car tower.

Carvana is a growing local business and I think this is a great visible spot for this goofy concept.

Look at the street view, nobody is going build condos or apartments of street facing retail on that parcel, the county island chop-shops and strip joints across the street arent going anywhere any time soon.
Some people can't be pleased. This is great for its location. And if any of you have ever seen how they light these up at night it's awesome. They're not putting junk cars in a plexiglass case. This is a local startup and we should support their showcase vending machine and celebrate our local entrepreneurs.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Some people can't be pleased. This is great for its location. And if any of you have ever seen how they light these up at night it's awesome. They're not putting junk cars in a plexiglass case. This is a local startup and we should support their showcase vending machine and celebrate our local entrepreneurs.
You're both delusional. It's grotesque. I can be pleased, all the time Mr. Flyer man, but I just don't think I giant, repeat giant monstrosity like that is worthwhile, regardless of where it is. It's a stupid gimmick we'll all be stuck with when the concept fails. Making a big toy for people to feel better about their overpriced used car purchase is not worth of others being forced to see it constantly to satisfy simpletons who want to buy a car from a giant fucking vending machine.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
You're both delusional. It's grotesque. I can be pleased, all the time Mr. Flyer man, but I just don't think I giant, repeat giant monstrosity like that is worthwhile, regardless of where it is. It's a stupid gimmick we'll all be stuck with when the concept fails. Making a big toy for people to feel better about their overpriced used car purchase is not worth of others being forced to see it constantly to satisfy simpletons who want to buy a car from a giant fucking vending machine.
Says the killjoy.

It looks straight out of Tokyo (ultra progressive city) - I love it.

That lot was awful. It just got reconfigured so that people could even reasonably access it.

Carvana is a local company that just went public, they're not some gimmick. Even if the vending machine was taken down in the future, you still have a great looking commercial building remaining.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Says the killjoy.

It looks straight out of Tokyo (ultra progressive city) - I love it.

That lot was awful. It just got reconfigured so that people could even reasonably access it.

Carvana is a local company that just went public, they're not some gimmick. Even if the vending machine was taken down in the future, you still have a great looking commercial building remaining.
Exactly right. Their IPO was just recently. They will be around for a long time.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 1:31 AM

Definitely some activity at the Pier. Some more tractors and some stakes in the ground. Fingers crossed we will see another tower crane soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest