HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalaby View Post
That rusted metal finish is going to look awesome.
Would have been even better if they skipped the corrugated metal and went all coreten. Coreten is actually becoming more common check this project out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclays_Center

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie-tect View Post
Would have been even better if they skipped the corrugated metal and went all coreten. Coreten is actually becoming more common check this project out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclays_Center
Agreed! I'm really tired of that corrugated metal, to be honest...to me it looks a bit cheap.

Nice mention on the Barclay's Centre. Amazing structure!

On a side note, looking at the renders, it looks like Earl's and Joey are proposed tenants at street level (the latter being on the bottom floor of the Ogilvy building). Odd choices, in my opinion, seeing as both of those are supposedly going at Lansdowne as well...so much for "unique" retail!

Also, in the first few plan-view drawings, it looks like Nicholas is still open to cars, but the sidewalk has been slightly elongated at the Ogilvy corner. Is this a preliminary step to converting that whole strip of Nicholas to the proposed pedestrian mall? I think the drawing said something about it being a "future" construction project in collaboration with the city (unless I misread it)...

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:31 PM

Mmmm.. Corrugated metal, love having our showcase buildings wrapped in them

http://kmcgrailphotography.com/sites...abankPlace.png

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Weird that they show H&M in two spots; on Rideau Street, next to the new mall entrance and on the second floor of the Ogilvy corner.
A Simon's sign is mixed in there as well. I think it's more the artist's inspiration and less of an actual tell-tale sign of what is specifically going in.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:55 PM

Remember when I said I thought the expansion was too high compared to the Ogilvy façade?

Check this one out, the old Woolworths in Toronto;

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/05/...e-rental-tower

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=205109

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 1:47 AM

[QUOTE=J.OT13;6151286]Remember when I said I thought the expansion was too high compared to the Ogilvy façade?

...........QUOTE]

Seems you were right.

Rideau Centre submits plan for Ogilvy’s facade

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN June 6, 2013 6:07 PM

OTTAWA — The owners of the Rideau Centre want to put the preserved facade of the century-old Ogilvy’s department store back up on the lower floors of a “glazed cube” when the downtown mall is expanded.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Rideau+...#ixzz2VUUWGrEw

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:23 AM

Heinous:

"The glazed cube is to be four storeys high, one level taller than the preserved walls from Ogilvy’s, so they’ll clearly be more ornamental than anything else. “On the interior, Ogilvy’s previous floor-to-ceiling heights will not be duplicated and thus the floors of the shops and restaurant of the glass cube will not line up with the reinstated windows,” says the city’s staff report on the proposal."

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Rideau+...#ixzz2VUt53z2P

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 12:35 PM

I have trouble visualizing what they are describing but am left wondering why they would even bother? Would the old façade literally be behind glass, or would it face some sort of interior open space? Either way, I see next to zero heritage value in the result.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:43 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I have trouble visualizing what they are describing but am left wondering why they would even bother? Would the old façade literally be behind glass, or would it face some sort of interior open space? Either way, I see next to zero heritage value in the result.
I'm not sure why this fact seems suddenly a surprise, you can see it in all the renderings. If you look closely, the bottom part of the third floor windows have the line of the floor plate showing:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:59 PM

The Ogilvy façade will be more of a hanging art display than a part of the building. Watch it fall off eventually... "oups! My bad!? Too bad the insurance wasn't extended for eternity."

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:24 PM

Quote:
It's pretty common in Europe and it often looks pretty cool.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It's pretty common in Europe and it often looks pretty cool.
It's clear to me now. I was confused by the Citizen's reference to a "glazed cube", which sounded to me like a change from the render. It's not.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
It's clear to me now. I was confused by the Citizen's reference to a "glazed cube", which sounded to me like a change from the render. It's not.
Actually the article confused me too. I also thought they were going to put the facade behind the glass, which is what I was referring to in Europe. It looks cool like this. IMHO it looks better than tacked on as they did for example in the Central condos.

Still it is difficult to tell from just the render what this will look like when done.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 6:19 PM

You can see the floor on the bottom part of the (formerly) third storey window. It's going to look like a jackasserey!

The city gave them an obligation to restore the 1908 wall and that is what they will do, sort of. Interesting fact; the original Charles Ogilvy building had 8 mm gaps between the bricks, but it’s not in line with the modern construction methods so the reconstruction will have 10 mm gaps. So the “restoration” won’t even be the same size as original; it will be a bit larger. Two mm might not look like much, but when you multiply it by the number of gaps… It will also affect the proportions since the width will increase more than the height; there is only two of three floors of bricks. Not sure how the windows will fit back in their?

The Rideau Center figured out the best way to do what they were told while finding the best solution to disrespect history and Charles Ogilvy. After 30 years of existence, the Rideau Centre got their wish; they killed Ogilvy and hanging its head on a wall.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 4:42 AM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

"gaps between the bricks"... where?

the idea of rebuilding Ogilvy's it to put it back to original specs. It'll most likely be a floating wall "facade" on whatever is being built behind it. They'll rebuild it to the original detail and size using the original materials and plans.

Elaborate more on the gaps.

Quote:

You can see the floor on the bottom part of the (formerly) third storey window. It's going to look like a jackasserey!

The city gave them an obligation to restore the 1908 wall and that is what they will do, sort of. Interesting fact; the original Charles Ogilvy building had 8 mm gaps between the bricks, but it’s not in line with the modern construction methods so the reconstruction will have 10 mm gaps. So the “restoration” won’t even be the same size as original; it will be a bit larger. Two mm might not look like much, but when you multiply it by the number of gaps… It will also affect the proportions since the width will increase more than the height; there is only two of three floors of bricks. Not sure how the windows will fit back in their?

The Rideau Center figured out the best way to do what they were told while finding the best solution to disrespect history and Charles Ogilvy. After 30 years of existence, the Rideau Centre got their wish; they killed Ogilvy and hanging its head on a wall.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 2:17 PM

Mortar joints.

Quote:
The width of the existing vertical and horizontal brick mortar joints was found to be approximately 8mm. It is
proposed to increase the width of the brick mortar joints to 10mm to be a more standard width for
workmanship and future repairs, maintenance and repointing. This will result in the reconstructed 1907-1908
facades being slightly higher and longer than the original 1907-1908 facades. It also results in a small
increase in dimensions to each of the masonry openings for the restored window and metal elements, which
is beneficial for the reinstallation detailing.
See last paragraph, page 43;

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...ge%20Study.PDF

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Mortar joints.

See last paragraph, page 43;

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...ge%20Study.PDF
Seems somewhat of a weak justification for the change. It's tough to figure out if this is a restoration, rehabilitation or just a reinterpretation. Bricks from a newer part of the building (identified as less significant), recreated cornice and other associated details (removed some time ago) and topped off with new construction details. At some point you have to ask why bother?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie-tect View Post
Seems somewhat of a weak justification for the change. It's tough to figure out if this is a restoration, rehabilitation or just a reinterpretation. Bricks from a newer part of the building (identified as less significant), recreated cornice and other associated details (removed some time ago) and topped off with new construction details. At some point you have to ask why bother?
At this point, I agree. I've lost a huge respect for the city and I will never again shop at the Rideau Centre. I know it won't make a difference on their bottom line, but I don't care.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 5:26 PM

Quote:
At this point, I agree. I've lost a huge respect for the city and I will never again shop at the Rideau Centre. I know it won't make a difference on their bottom line, but I don't care.
Wide gaps in the mortar? What's next faux-wrought iron lamp posts!! This has gone too far!!

Wide gaps in the bricks or not, this proposed redevelopment is a vast improvement over its current state.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
I lost respect for the city (council) long ago. I'm all for maintaining historic buildings, but the city fails big time when a developer buys such a property then allows it to sit vacant for years to let nature take its course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa