HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 6:53 AM

Finally this project is moving along.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 6:50 PM
Green Berniecrat

Is 482 feet the height all the way to the top of the crown or just to the top floor only?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 6:59 AM

To me, it seems like the top floor only. If you look carefully between the old and new rendering, you can see the new rendering is a bit taller than the old and I think the old rendering had the building at 482' or 147 m, but I am not sure about any of this.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 10:54 AM
Green Berniecrat

Yeah, I was estimating that in total it would be somewhere around 510 feet or so. Too bad I havent heard any official anouncements over this one.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 2:54 AM

^^^If that height figure is true than this project is the first office skyscraper over 152 m or 500 ft. erected in the 2000's for San Francisco, but anyway at 147 m, it will be the tallest office tower erected in almost 20 years if there are no other taller office projects.
芝加哥 Chicago: Trump Tower, Waterview Tower

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 4:28 AM
Green Berniecrat

I just hope that its not another 20 years before we see another office building taller than this one.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 4:34 AM

Well, the office vacancy rate is going down for downtown San Francisco, so there will be more office projects in the future if the vacancies continue to go down.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 4:51 AM
Green Berniecrat

Yeah, they had mentioned that, and I immediatly took it as welcoming news. Hopefully the trend continues. We must also be carefull not to overindulge because that might cause a counter-effect driving those rates back up.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 5:34 AM

vacancy rate

I think there will definitely be a strong trend in demand. The demand for the upper floors of buildings is very strong right now commanding high rents.... I think I read something in the SF business times recently talking about this. And some towers such as the transbay trio may very well be mixed use to spread the risk.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 6:14 AM
Green Berniecrat

Well, this is why the towers themselves should be allowed to grow more and more to meet the maximum amount of demand possible. But even so, too much of anything is always bad, so carefull planning is needed.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 1:58 AM

Well, there might be up to 20,000 people living in the Rincon Hill-Transbay Terminal Area once many of the condo towers are finished and those 20,000 will need jobs, unless they happen to work elsewhere or they are just buying a vacation apartment.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 2:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47KC
Well, there might be up to 20,000 people living in the Rincon Hill-Transbay Terminal Area once many of the condo towers are finished and those 20,000 will need jobs, unless they happen to work elsewhere or they are just buying a vacation apartment.
An awful lot of these high end units go to either retired empty nesters moving in from the suburbs or wealthy suburbanites wanting a pied-a-terre so they can crash after the opera or symphony without having to drive back to Mountain View or Atherton. In other words, a lot of the people buying them don't need a job.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 3:15 AM
Green Berniecrat

Boy, I wonder what its like to have a 'crashing' place on one of these towers on Rincon Hill. I'd be super lucky to have that same place be my permanent home

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 6:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisence
Boy, I wonder what its like to have a 'crashing' place on one of these towers on Rincon Hill. I'd be super lucky to have that same place be my permanent home
Go to law school. Marry a classmate. Forget about kids.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 10:45 PM

Is the building to the left of 555 Mission in the new rendering Phase II of this project? Or is a separate project or something?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 1:20 AM
BANNED

That's 535 Mission, now a Tishman-Speyer project. It started out in the dot-com era as an office buildling, then became a condo project but under T-S is back to being office. With the latest change of developer and use, though, I think they are doing some redesign work (but I assume they'll stay within the existing entitlements). Here's the last rendering I know about--note the small, narrow old building that remains between 535 and 555 Mission:

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 4:11 AM
Green Berniecrat

I imagine that both those towers will be more or less the same size. If so, then that building in the middle could actually be used for the project.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 7:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisence
I imagine that both those towers will be more or less the same size. If so, then that building in the middle could actually be used for the project.
Not sure what you mean. It IS being used right now as a construction office--last time I walked by it appeared at least partially gutted. But the towers aren't the same size (at least with the present design of 535). 555 is roughly 10 stories taller: 34 stories vs about 24. See the most recent rendering of 555 posted above.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF
That's 535 Mission, now a Tishman-Speyer project. It started out in the dot-com era as an office buildling, then became a condo project but under T-S is back to being office. With the latest change of developer and use, though, I think they are doing some redesign work (but I assume they'll stay within the existing entitlements). Here's the last rendering I know about--note the small, narrow old building that remains between 535 and 555 Mission:

Just to clear up some points here. The entitlements to 535 Mission, which was originally owned by Monahan Pacific, is now owned by Beacon Capital Partners, which purchased them in April of this year for $30 million. Monahan Pacific wanted to build a office tower in the late 1990s and switched it to residential after the dot com bust. After escalating construction costs, they decided to sell the entitlements to another developer.

The rendering above was the one released by Monahan Pacific in 2000 when it was originally an office project. This is NOT the design of the new tower on the site.

If Beacon Capital is able to acquire the low-rise next to 535 mission, look for a much larger building that what was previously proposed by Monahan Pacific. Although the parcel is in a 550' height limit district, any previous proposal has been limited because of the lot size and FAR limitations.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 4:18 PM
Green Berniecrat

I guess it would only make sense to acquire the smaller building next to it as well. If it means increasing your potential size, it would be a good deal. All they need to see now is by how much they can increase it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive