HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 5:22 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I agree with both of you. I can't stop looking at it:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:47 AM

Two more pictures with the crown all lit up. Sorry about the quality -- this is the camera on my Blackberry.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 5:32 AM
Only Mostly Dead

That thing takes pretty good pictures. I love these shots. It will look even better when people start moving in and random offices are lit in the evening.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:25 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Look how nice the benches came out. And I'm really excited about this translucent flooring. Think they'll back light it?

New street lighting along Minna. They look similar to the new Rincon Hill lights (as seen at Infinity):

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 8:30 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeinground View Post
I walked by... its looking like Ugo Rondinone

'face' on the left = middle piece

The wraps are off today and in addition to the piece holeinground already identified, the shot above includes one of the other two pieces as well. The one in the far back (second from right) above is the one closest to Mission (far right in my shots). The third one (far left in my shots) is one of the two toothy smile pieces from holeinground's posts. I didn't look that closely and can't say for sure which one it is.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 6:08 AM
Only Mostly Dead

They finally opened up the plaza this week. It was rumored to open a few weeks ago. Not sure why it took so long.

A few other folks were exploring this afternoon:

These benches are really comfy and I love the big poinsettia Christmas tree in the lobby:

Getting up close and personal with the public art:

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 6:51 AM

A few more shots. I can't say I like it much from street level, with the exception of the public space off to the side. The front of the building (on Mission) is wildly underwhelming to me. The plaza is nice, though the head thingys are terribly ugly in my view. I'm sure they are very deep and meaningful and I just don't get whatever it is that the artist was attempting to convey, but they are just an eyesore to me. The bench area is thoughful. In my opinion, this building looks much better from afar than it does from the street.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 8:15 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC6 View Post
A few more shots. I can't say I like it much from street level, with the exception of the public space off to the side. The front of the building (on Mission) is wildly underwhelming to me. The plaza is nice, though the head thingys are terribly ugly in my view. I'm sure they are very deep and meaningful and I just don't get whatever it is that the artist was attempting to convey, but they are just an eyesore to me. The bench area is thoughful. In my opinion, this building looks much better from afar than it does from the street.

Those heads just crack me up--I think that they're hilarious. In light of all the depressing news that we hear day after day, it's good to get some comic relief (and from a public plaza no less).

You're absolutely right about the bottom floors of the building on Mission Street! Why did they break the theme of the building in every way? The color doesn't relate well at all and neither does the bulky opaqueness. Instead of being underwhelming, I think it's just plain ugly, especially for this building that has so many wonderful features.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 4:08 PM

Sleek-looking tower. The public plaza there is great, too. If I lived in SF I would feel very content knowing that this nice building is sitting there all complete.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 8:17 AM
BANNED

I gotta say it: I love the heads too. They just seem so . . . anti-corporate.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 4:28 AM

A view with some of its siblings:

Crane that neck:

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:07 AM
Only Mostly Dead

These give me whatever the opposite of vertigo would be.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:44 AM
REAL Kiwi!

A fine building, but I agree with JAC6 the street level, as is so common with alot of contemporary architecture, lacks a strong connection with the city.
The comical light hearted public art, I like in concept, but this just suuuuuuckss....looks like a 3rd grade paper mache project.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive