HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 9:47 PM

^I like the Blazers! And Bond, I have a bit of a love hate thing with Seattle teams. I love Seattle and think of it as a brother to Portalnd, but it pisses me off that you guys have NFL and MLB! Therefore, I want Portland to have teams to start a NW rivalry.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 10:04 PM

i love the blazers too!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 11:24 PM

Calling the Blazers the "Jail Blazers" is old news....We are attracting more fans than the Sonics.... and now the new owners of the Sonics want at least $300 million from the public to build a new arena. Like I have posted before I think the Sonics/Storm are headed to Oklahoma City. Too bad.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 12:39 AM
Bed-Stuy Guy

I heard a rumour that the Sonics will move to OKC and then Paul Allen will sell the Blazers and buy the Hornets and move them to Seattle.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 1:32 AM

I have heard the same thing...One can only hope...getting Paul Allen out of PDX would be a "good thing".

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 3:10 AM

I agree. I think Allen should hit the road and leave PDX alone. He's done nothing for this city IMO.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 8:20 AM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
uh, with all due respect, Portland has no need for the Mariners. We want the Beavers!
Fuck the Beavers. The fact that we have a minor league team here is embarrassing. Portland is too big and cool to be competing with Fresno and Colorado Springs. Triple A team=Triple A city. Time for the Beavers to move to Eugene or Tacoma.

And with regard to the Mariners--a lot of people root for the Mariners here, and the Seahawks are huge. I can't understand why. I love Seattle. Who wouldn't? It's hip, forward-thinking (in some ways), beautiful, fun and an incredible place to eat--which is the most important judge of a city in my opinion.

However, Seattle to me will always be the bigger and more cosmopolitan Northwest city that gets more press. I could never root for a Seattle team. I'll drink Victrola Coffee, eat crumpets at the market, tour the most gorgeous public library I have ever laid eyes on, watch the sunset turn the Olympic Mountains pink, and experience all that is great about the Emerald City. But when it comes to sports, I love watching the Seahawks and the Mariners get crushed into the dirt. And I can't wait until Portland has more teams to do that job--whether that's in five years or fifty.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:29 PM

well said

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:57 PM

^uh, I meant the MLB team the Beavers. At least I think that would be one team name up for consideration. I thnk the triple A team is a joke as well.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 10:02 PM
Well designed mixed use

Ahhh--well that changes things a bit. However, I think we could come up with a better name than the Beavers. Although a Beaver may well describe the industriousness of people in Portland, it's a doofy looking animal whose name has also become slang for the female garden--to put it nicely. Perhaps we should go for the Portland Timbers (I know it's taken but so what), the Lumberjacks (because they carry huge axes wreck shit, the Pioneers, etc. I remember reading that someone wanted to call the team the Portland Baristas. How stupid can you get?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 10:37 PM

lumberjacks is taken also

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 1:47 AM

I've always thought the Portland Pioneers would sound like a good name for a team here. It would be fitting for an MLB or an NFL team based out of Portland.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 2:32 AM

Thank you for making my day, City-state.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 9:13 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Portland Strippers.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 10:35 PM
Karma Police

Portland Proletariat

....OK, doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but describes most of our "creative class" here.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 12:14 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Portland Strippers.
and then we would have cheerleaders!!

I like the idea of another major league team here, no matter what it is. But in the case of MLB, I have to agree with you. I think having the stadium in the Rose Quarter makes more sense with the light rail access. As cool as it would look at the Post Office site, I think it would turn into a huge mess, unless they ran the north/south tracks they are working on up to that area.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 1:01 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Could just go down to Mary's Club & Union Jacks to hire the cheerleaders!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 6:01 PM
Karma Police

If we're talking light rail access, the PO site will have both the Yellow and Green lines within 2 blocks, whereas the PPS site has just the Yellow line. Both will have streetcar access once the streetcar is extended over the Broadway Bridge.

I still prefer the PPS site though because it has better auto access and the garages at the Rose Quarter for parking already in place. The PO site should be redeveloped like the Hoyt Street Yards were, with through streets, but with high rises instead of just mid rises. And an extension of the North Park Blocks up to Lovejoy with a crossover park at Kearney to tie into the 10th Ave Boardwalk.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:48 PM

^I'd like to see the Post Office site developed with a large central park and a greenway that attaches to the other parks with tall towers on the outter portions of the property.

An MLB stadium would be desirable on either the PPS HQ site, although I like the idea of 400' point towers over there, or the blocks across from the OCC with the Ambridge Events Center, Burgerville, Dental Building, some vacant blocks, and parking lots.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 9:39 PM

I’m glad Portland doesn’t have MLB. If we get MLB, I hope they put it out in the suburbs.

I used to live a few blocks from PGE park in NW. I can do without the traffic, drunken hooligans and garbage on the street on game days. That’s just my personal preference...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment