Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 7:20 PM
Ascension

I thought this was pretty interesting.

From SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Green line

When they constructed it back in the 90's, at least they knew where they wanted to go to get to LAX.

I've noticed these connections before when passing by the Aviation Station.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:39 AM

Do they still plan on having a connection like that at the Aviation station?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:08 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
They are doing studies. That is just one of the options.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Yes. It's in the Crenshaw Line FEIR. The Crenshaw Line will include the new track connection to get the Green Line to connect with the new Century station. The Crenshaw Line will be from Expo/Crenshaw to Redondo Beach station.

Note: this has been discussed for YEARS with the Crenshaw Line AA, DEIR and now FEIR. This is nothing new.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
They are doing studies. That is just one of the options.
It's no longer a study, it's a reality now. Once the approval comes this Thursday from the Metro board. Metro can start requesting construction bids. This made it into the Crenshaw Line's plans since Day 1.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 7:21 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAofAnaheim View Post
It's no longer a study, it's a reality now. Once the approval comes this Thursday from the Metro board. Metro can start requesting construction bids. This made it into the Crenshaw Line's plans since Day 1.
Really? Well, great!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 2:03 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
To La Cienega: November 2011
(Farmdale Station: March 2012)
To Culver City: March 2012
To Santa Monica: Early 2015
November? About time! Hopefully it actually opens in November - I would love to ride it when I go home then.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 5:41 PM

Quote:
One major reason why Measure R was so successful in getting the votes it did, I think, is because of it had two "anchor" projects: The Westside Subway extension and the Regional Connector.

If a Measure R II is to have something similar, I can see projects things like a Purple Line Whittier Extension and Silver Line LRT serving as attention grabbers.
I think the other reason Measure R got passed was that it included work on the freeways (405 carpool, I-5 widening, etc.).

I don't think a "transit-only" sales tax would be passed, since the vast majority of people still utilize cars, and there's a big "what's in it for me" factor.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I think the other reason Measure R got passed was that it included work on the freeways (405 carpool, I-5 widening, etc.).

I don't think a "transit-only" sales tax would be passed, since the vast majority of people still utilize cars, and there's a big "what's in it for me" factor.
People in LA want alternatives to sitting in traffic, and know that we cant widen our way out of congestion. As long as the new transit lines go to where people want to go and Metro proves that they can build lines on budget and on schedule I think it wont be hard to get another round of taxpayer funding for transit in LA County. This is why I think that once projects such as the Expo Line to Santa Monica, Crenshaw Line / Green Line to LAX, and Downtown Regional Connector are complete, it is time to go to the taxpayers with another ballot proposition.

While I expect that a portion of the next Measure will contain funding for freeways, hopefully this time it can be a much smaller amount compared to transit.

Continue building transit lines throughout LA County, and upgrade Metrolink to increase speed and frequency by double tracking as much of the lines in LA County as possible. Suburbanites wont need to be bribed with highway projects to approve transit funding if the transit funding benefits them as well.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Source? Because I'm hearing it's possible it may be all 2012 now from the Transit Coalition boards.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDave View Post
Measure R is expected to bring in $40 billion over the 30 years, which is divided between road and rail projects. In 2020, could it be feasible to allocate a much larger share of Measure R 2.0 funds to transit and away from roads? $30 billion or more for transit projects sounds great.

I wouldn't mind seeing some Metrolink upgrades in this next round of funding. Double tracking as much of the lines in LA County as possible would allow for increased frequencies (minimum 30 min service all day), bringing in more riders for the new Metro Rail lines.
AAA would not support Measure R in 2008 unless 20% was guaranteed for roads. (Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/bott...lub-suppo.html).

Initially, the plan was 15% but AAA threatened to withhold support to its 6 million members. So, Metro increased it.

I think Measure R2 would probably be in the same proration and 2016 or 2020 would be good ballot years. You want it in a Presidential year when more people turn out to the vote.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 7:36 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAofAnaheim View Post
Source? Because I'm hearing it's possible it may be all 2012 now from the Transit Coalition boards.
I got it from Wikipedia. I just assumed it was the correct information since Gokhan frequently updates the page.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I got it from Wikipedia. I just assumed it was the correct information since Gokhan frequently updates the page.
I would wait until Metro releases the date. November 15th was a placeholder in a budget, which is just an expectation for financial reasons. Pre-revenue hasn't even started yet. It could be anytime between November thru March for Expo Line opening(s).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Considering the history of phase I of the Expo line, one might as well just assume an extension of the completion date of phase II from early 2015 to sometime in late 2016 or 2017.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Considering the history of phase I of the Expo line, one might as well just assume an extension of the completion date of phase II from early 2015 to sometime in late 2016 or 2017.
Yes. My prediction is late 2016. All politicians are saying 2015..it won't happen. But, please prove me wrong.

But, unlike Phase I, there is no segment that will be pushed into Phase II that was previously allocated to Phase I (i.e. Venice/Robertson was Phase II, not Phase I; it deleted the need for an interim station at Jefferson/National). The grade crossing approval should be a lot less contraversial compared to Phase I. Phase I had the Farmdale hold-up due to Damien Goodman. That won't happen in Phase II as Metro has deep analysis to support each grade crossing and there are more grade seperated segments (Venice, Motor, Bundy, Centinela, Sepulveda, Cloverfield, Olympic, Pico, Gateway). All the other streets have mitigation factors all ready. Also, no Blue-Line tie-in, which will help substantially, as this is what's now causing the primary delay for Phase I opening.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 12:25 PM

SAN BERNARDINO: Rapid-transit bus project to start soon

SAN BERNARDINO: Rapid-transit bus project to start soon

Riverside Press-Enterprise
September 28, 2011
BY DUG BEGLEY

"Large buses won't start carrying passengers in San Bernardino until 2014, but officials said this week that work on the Inland area's first bus rapid transit project is a major milestone.

Today, local elected and transportation officials will ceremoniously break ground on the $191.7 million sbX project, meant to ferry students and workers between Cal State San Bernardino and the medical complex in Loma Linda.

Though drivers along E Street and Hospitality Lane probably will not see construction crews for a few more weeks, the start of work is a reason to celebrate, said David Rutherford, spokesman for the sbX project, managed by Omnitrans..."

http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/...9.412faa7.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I thought this was pretty interesting.

From SSC:
Very nice rendering; it clarifies a lot for me. Hopefully it will have some impact on local traffic. But still seems like a tough way to get to/from the airport to DT, the Westside or Hollywood.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 7:31 PM

Gold Line gets $6 million grant for improving access to light rail

Gold Line gets $6 million grant for improving access to light rail

Pasadena Star-News
10/5/2011

"A multi-year federal grant, totaling about $6 million, has been awarded "for "bus/pedestrian interface enhancement" at future Gold Line stations from Arcadia to Azusa, Habib Balianb, CEO of the Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension Construction Authority announced Wednesday.

Over the next few months, the authority will coordinate with corridor cities and design improvements that could include new bus shelters and benches, pedestrian lighting, street trees, bike lockers and racks, new sidewalks and new crosswalks, Balian said in a statement.

The latest grant adds to a previous $3 million grant to study how such enhancements would be integrated into the station areas. Balian's statement said..."

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_19046877'

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 2:47 PM

Feds to expedite approval time for Crenshaw/LAX light rail

This is certainly good news that will help put people back to work sooner by building infrastructure that will improve mobility for Southern California residents and visitors.

Feds to expedite approval time for Crenshaw/LAX light rail

By Nick Green
10/11/2011
Daily Breeze

"The Obama administration announced Tuesday it will cut red tape to shorten the approval time for the Crenshaw/LAX light rail line by several months.

The 8.5-mile project will extend the existing Green Line closer to Los Angeles International Airport with the construction of a new station at Aviation and Century boulevards.

Construction is expected to start in 2013..."

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_19091765

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 2:54 PM

Metrolink adds 10 cars for bicycle enthusiasts

Metrolink adds 10 cars for bicycle enthusiasts

Progressive Railroading
10/11/11

"The Southern California Regional Rail Authority has added 10 bike cars for Metrolink’s regular service. The cars can accommodate 18 to 24 bicycles versus two in other cars.

Agency officials hope the cars will encourage more bicycle enthusiasts in southern California to ride the trains. Metrolink officials worked with bicycle advocates on the car design, which ultimately was approved by the Federal Railroad Administration.

In August, the agency tested two bike cars on the Inland-Empire line weekend beach trains. Metrolink plans to add more bike cars in the future to meet demand..."

http://www.progressiverailroading.co...usiasts--28371

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation