HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Can someone synopsize the article for those who do not subscribe?
It’s just a drive-by of the Triad making the case that “we’re not Charlotte” is a thing and not all bad. Various citations of activity in the region, its affordability and “small city” vibe. Points out differences between rural areas and urban. More than once quotes folk concerned with workforce being up to demands of new industries.

Quite a long piece that, of course, left a lot of things out. Good art (including a shot of the Coal Pit at Bailey PP).

Overall, a very good bit of PR

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Can someone synopsize the article for those who do not subscribe?
Here it is beyond the paywall

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 11:44 PM

Thanks SpikedCoffee. Well, just my casual (and my bias) general observation. Clearly a lack of any real substance and (as expected) written as if any information was gleaned from websites. ““We want to be the best version of Greensboro.” Still seems as if W-S is a big suburb of Greensboro to those unfamiliar with the area (I shan’t use Triad). Still, better than nowt though primarily about Toyota.

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 3:09 AM
Fourth and Main

To me, it seems to say Randolph County's workforce isn't educated enough for the battery factory opening there or really any modern manufacturing jobs and Guilford County (Greensboro and High Point) don't have the educated workforce existing companies there need. It appears to describe Winston-Salem as the place out-of-state people from trendy places are moving to and it describes Winston-Salem as being the only place in the Triad with a research university on the level of those in Raleigh-Durham. It also describes Winston-Salem's adaptive-reuse projects as a university research park. It says the people moving to Winston-Salem love it's character and don't want it to change.

It seems to be a nice article for Winston-Salem, but is very harsh on Greensboro-High Point and their three county Greensboro-High Point MSA. I don't recall reading anything about the projects at the airport or the big economic development projects in Winston-Salem's MSA (steel mill, passenger rail car factory with locomotive work, Egger, Ziehl-Abegg, Deere electric equipment headquarters, or anything at Whitaker Park).

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 12:12 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

I couldn't find many construction photographs this week and my son needed more of my time (the time I would spend doing stuff like this), so we don't have as many updates in this week's post. We do have an update on the massive steel mill construction site, which is interesting!

Video Link

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: Derrick Lasley

Happy Skyler Mansion:
SORA Japanese Restaurant could be considering the "locally famous" Happy Skyler Mansion for their next Forsyth County location. For those who may not know, this is the castle construction site where U.S. 421 and Interstate 74 intersect. This project was intended to be a massive house for the structure's builder, but it appears as if plans could be changing for this project?

STITCH Design Shop Headquarters:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Belews Lake Park:
We now have renderings for the "comfort station, open air shelter, and maintenance building to service new walking trails and the fishing pier." BAR Construction will be the general contractor for this project.

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Salem Bottling Works:
Slabaria, from the construction documents I posted last month, is a Pizza Restaurant.

Tanglewood Championship Course Clubhouse:

We have a new rendering, showing the back of the building:

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

SciWorks Building:
The former SciWorks Building is now for sale. It requires roughly $4 million in renovations, including major roof work. You can buy the building and land to open a museum or office space here or you can demolish it and build a new industrial building.

Nucor Steel Mill:
"Eight months closer to expanding our footprint with one of the most energy efficient mills in the world." This Nucor Steel Mill will have an estimated economic impact of $2 billion over the next decade.

Credit: Nucor

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Your City

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations