Empire State Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 11:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
So will they wash/clean/restore the spire? Because it looks dirtyyy and it make the building look bad compared to the way Chrysler is.
It would be fitting if they did something with the spire, but I'm not sure if anything is planned. It would be nice if they could remove some of the added broadcast equipment, but I don't think that's planned.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 5:56 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It would be fitting if they did something with the spire, but I'm not sure if anything is planned. It would be nice if they could remove some of the added broadcast equipment, but I don't think that's planned.
Perhaps they could extend the antennae to provide room to remove more of the broadcasting equipment from the mooring mast. The clutter gets a bit cleaned up, and the pinnacle height gets taller.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 7:43 PM

I always wished ESB's mast was clad in a similar way to Chrysler's spire.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 9:43 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Idk, the antenna looks good like that imo. Cladding it would make it look bad.

But yeah, they should wash the Spire and put some coating on it so it shines a bit. Especially the last floor, right before the antenna starts. Hopefully when the FT is finished some of the antenna's will be removed because they distract from the beauty. And those random rusted tubes need to go too! Also, is this the original glass on the spire/observation floors?

link
I'm all for historic preservation but this glass has to go. It's really outdated and dirty. They should at least replace the glass, have these panels cleaned and then installed again.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 3:10 AM
Eurosceptic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091001/...building_china

Empire State Building lit for China, drawing ire

By MARCUS FRANKLIN, Associated Press Writer
52 mins ago

NEW YORK – Red and yellow lights shone from the top of the Empire State Building at dusk Wednesday, a tribute to communist China's 60th anniversary that protesters labeled "blatant approval" of totalitarianism and criticized as inappropriate for an icon in the land of the free.

The building is routinely lit with different colors to mark holidays and big events, but opponents questioned whether it's right to commemorate a sensitive political issue, particularly when China has such a poor human rights record.

About 20 supporters of Tibet, which China has ruled since shortly after communists took over in 1949, protested outside the building during a ceremonial lighting of a scale model inside the lobby. They chanted "No to China's empire; free Tibet now," and held signs reading, "Empire State Building celebrating 60 years of China's oppression."

Lhadon Tethong, executive director of Students for a Free Tibet, called the lighting "outright, blatant approval for a communist totalitarian system."

"It's a great public relations coup for the Chinese state," Tethong said as tourists gawked at the protesters. "But on the other hand, it's sure to backfire because the American public and the global public will speak against it."

At the lobby ceremony, building manager Joseph Bellina called the lights a high honor and said he was proud of the relationship between "our countries and our people."

Chinese Consul General Peng Keyu, who pulled the switch on the glass-encased model, said he was "honored and delighted."

He said China's reforms of the past 30 years have led to greater openness and "tremendous change."

Keyu and Bellina didn't address critics and declined to answer questions.

Journalist and blogger Marc Masferrer questioned legitimizing a government that continues to repress its citizens' freedoms, including their access to media and the Internet.

"I don't think one of our great landmarks should be turned into a platform to honor a regime and a system responsible for as much tragedy and all the other things that come with a repressive system," he told The Associated Press.

Masferrer pointed out that this year is also the 20th anniversary of the violently crushed student-led movement in Beijing's Tiananmen Square. The People's Liberation Army is believed to have killed hundreds, possibly thousands, of protesters.

Politicians united in their disdain.

Rep. Anthony Weiner, a New York Democrat, said the lights should not be used to pay tribute to what he called "an oppressive regime" with a "shameful history on human rights."

Rep. Peter King, a New York Republican, said it was "a sad day for New York."

"I am strongly opposed to it or any commemoration of the Communist Chinese revolution. It's one thing to acknowledge the government; it's totally immoral to honor it."

The lights atop the building, which is owned by W&H Properties, are often are changed. For example, Italian colors — red, white and green — commemorate Columbus Day, while green, white and orange are displayed for the India Day parade.

For the Chinese anniversary, the lights were to remain on through early Thursday.

___

Associated Press writer Deepti Hajela contributed to this report.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 3:12 AM
New Yorker for life

^ That sounds possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Perhaps they could extend the antennae to provide room to remove more of the broadcasting equipment from the mooring mast. The clutter gets a bit cleaned up, and the pinnacle height gets taller.
That sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how a taller antenna would fit the tower. The tower used to be 18 ft higher at 1,472 ft. And it would have to look like the Empire State's Antenna, not one of those large antennas on other towers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 5:59 AM
low life in a tall place

Lit red and yellow marking PR of China's 60th birthday-- awesome!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 4:34 AM

That's extremely odd.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 5:17 AM

Its a really sad day when the Empire State Building is lit up to celebrate Communist China's birthday. This is where globalism is taking us and it really scares me.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 9:44 PM

Imo, the whole building needs a reclad. As it is now, it looks like a dirty cardboard box. It would look much better white, like Aon center.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:39 AM

Reclad, yes
white, no

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:54 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

No, recladding it will be a really bad move. It will loose history, it will loose honor, it wouldn't be the Empire State Building anymore.

All it needs is some decluttering and a really really really good wash from head to toe...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:35 AM

Holy shit I can't believe anyone would even think recladding ESB would be a good idea.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Holy shit I can't believe anyone would even think recladding ESB would be a good idea.
Why not? It`s a functional building, ffs, not an archeological artefact.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzetti View Post
There's no practical purpose for recladding the building, so it's highly unlikely it will ever come up.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:48 PM
All aboard the Failboat

Quote:
it's also a massive 102 storey skyscraper that's a national landmark, and icon, and on the national register of historic places, not to mention it wouldn't be cost effective

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 10:45 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Arbitrarily recladding the building to change it's colour would retard the building's efficiency.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 11:53 PM

The limestone needs to be cleaned, but it's in good condition.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:11 PM

Other than needing a little cleaning, that limestone is beautiful! I'd be out there rioting if they ever tried to re-clad this building.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 9:54 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture