HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatTub View Post
Does anyone know if a location has been chosen for the new K-8 francophone school in Moncton?

I've heard from multiple (but semi-reliable) sources that it would be built somewhere around McLaughlin and is expected to open in 2020. I've also heard that L'Odysée would take over the part of the school where Mascaret is currently located. Perhaps the new school will also be called Mascaret?
Right here : https://www.google.com/maps/@46.1214.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 1:12 AM
I Rise Again

Just look at all that green......
https://paol.snb.ca/paol.html?v=1.0....n&pan=05661487

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 8:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The only proposal of note for the September PAC meeting for the City of Moncton:

Quote:
John Howard Society of Southeastern New Brunswick and Visions United Church on behalf of Elgantro Holdings Inc. (PID/ 70396882), a conditional use application to allow an ‘assisted living facility’ in the ‘Multiple Unit Dwelling (R3)’ zone, and variances to: (1) reduce the total number of off-street parking spaces as required by subsection 42(1) of the Zoning By-law # Z-213, (2) increase the total area of driveway coverage permitted in the required front yard (subsection 46(4)), and (3) waive the requirement of a minimum of 10% brick/masonry finishing for the façade for a multiple unit dwelling (subsection 129(5)(c)). In addition to the ‘assisted living facility,’ the proposed mixed-use building/development also includes ‘church’ and ‘philanthropic use,’ which are permitted uses in the R3 zone

Location map

Site plan

Elevation

The proposal calls for an "assisted living facility" for the John Howard Society on one side of the building, which to me, probably means a halfway house. The other side of the building includes a "church" and "philanthropic space.", with the sponsor being Vision United Church. I presume they must be relocating their congregation here.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The only proposal of note for the September PAC meeting for the City of Moncton:

Location map

Site plan

Elevation

The proposal calls for an "assisted living facility" for the John Howard Society on one side of the building, which to me, probably means a halfway house. The other side of the building includes a "church" and "philanthropic space.", with the sponsor being Vision United Church. I presume they must be relocating their congregation here.
Having friends that belong and attend visions united, they have plans to move the congregation from the church in stilesville because they have outgrown the building and too costly to do an expansion due to how the building is constructed.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is now a new, fairly large mini tower crane erected at the construction site of this apartment building on Pleasant Street near Lewisville Road.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:02 AM

Quote:
There is now a new, fairly large mini tower crane erected at the construction site of this apartment building on Pleasant Street near Lewisville Road.

Imagine cutting the building in half and putting 3 of the 4 floors on top of that building and making it 7 floors. There is nothing more frustrating than continuously watching developers, buy land and build 1km buildings (not really) and ruin highly visible properties, for quick gains. The city should give incentives to developers who build taller l, to try and stop these massive long apartment complexes.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Imagine cutting the building in half and putting 3 of the 4 floors on top of that building and making it 7 floors. There is nothing more frustrating than continuously watching developers, buy land and build 1km buildings (not really) and ruin highly visible properties, for quick gains. The city should give incentives to developers who build taller l, to try and stop these massive long apartment complexes.
I am pretty certain it is actually the city that limits the height of these apartment buildings to about 4 storeys. I am guessing that in order to actually build nicer higher-end product, a developer would have to go to 6-8 stories because this maximizes the land cost that goes into the number of units and they could then justify concrete construction. BUT, because the City limits these buildings to no more than 4 storeys, the only way for a developer to make an economic case is to go cheap with construction, wood, vinyl siding, etc. We need to add some folks at city hall with business backgrounds and or start making decisions based on fact, economics and not "opinions."

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:46 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The only height restriction that I know of, is a limitation of the height of wood construction apartment buildings, which I believe is currently four floors.

I'm sure the city would be thrilled to see taller steel and concrete construction apartment buildings going up. Both Tannery Place South and Emma Place will be six storey concrete buildings.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 11:57 AM

To note, Tannery (South Tower) has 46 units sold and the north tower has 39 on the wait.

Quote:

The only height restriction that I know of, is a limitation of the height of wood construction apartment buildings, which I believe is currently four floors.

I'm sure the city would be thrilled to see taller steel and concrete construction apartment buildings going up. Both Tannery Place South and Emma Place will be six storey concrete buildings.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:54 AM

Quote:

Currently the height restriction on wood is 6 storeys. Under new rules and with engineered wood systems the code changes will allow for 12 story I believe starting in 2020 They call it mass wood timber technology and it is as or more fire resistant than some metals. There are actually some test buildings at 18 storeys out in BC. Europe has allowed tall wood structures for years. If you think about it it gives a lot more design and accent options than typical metals and

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
Currently the height restriction on wood is 6 storeys. Under new rules and with engineered wood systems the code changes will allow for 12 story I believe starting in 2020 They call it mass wood timber technology and it is as or more fire resistant than some metals. There are actually some test buildings at 18 storeys out in BC. Europe has allowed tall wood structures for years. If you think about it it gives a lot more design and accent options than typical metals and
Not all the provinces have adopted the 6-storey limit yet (National Building Code 2015). I believe that NB is still on the 2010 NBC (four storeys).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
I’m not really sure who is in charge of moncton town planning, but seriously, maybe they can learn from Dieppe and even Riverview on how to plan out roads and whatnot. Dieppe has worked hard to connect a number of roads with proper lighting and realign roads. But moncton continues to do the same thing over and over. Look at shediac road for instance. Again they rebuild the lights at scott st and vista drive to have a cross walk only and even at the end of the road, there were originally plans (I think) to connect the end of shediac road into the traffic circle but that never came to be. Whoever does it now, needs to start thinking about the future.
Just drove through this intersection at lunchtime today. They were doing a bit of paving on the shoulder of the road. It also looks like work has resumed on a turning lane into Granite from McLaughlin, unless they were just parking the equipment there.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Just drove through this intersection at lunchtime today. They were doing a bit of paving on the shoulder of the road. It also looks like work has resumed on a turning lane into Granite from McLaughlin, unless they were just parking the equipment there.
Quite the cluster this morning. Miller is finishing up the shoulders and driveways from their paving job earlier this summer. And Modern has begun work on the turn lane onto Granite now that that one utility pole that was in the way has finally been removed.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
I am pretty certain it is actually the city that limits the height of these apartment buildings to about 4 storeys. I am guessing that in order to actually build nicer higher-end product, a developer would have to go to 6-8 stories because this maximizes the land cost that goes into the number of units and they could then justify concrete construction. BUT, because the City limits these buildings to no more than 4 storeys, the only way for a developer to make an economic case is to go cheap with construction, wood, vinyl siding, etc. We need to add some folks at city hall with business backgrounds and or start making decisions based on fact, economics and not "opinions."
There is a new type of construction model out there referred to as podium/pedestal or platform construction. If first level or 2 are concrete the developer can make the remaining 4-5 floors wood or something along those lines. Here is link that explains it and explains how it can maximize a developer's return.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...struction.pdf&

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:37 PM

Sign is up about the new truck stop being built besides the shell on Harrisville.

175 truck spaces is pretty big

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Quite the cluster this morning. Miller is finishing up the shoulders and driveways from their paving job earlier this summer. And Modern has begun work on the turn lane onto Granite now that that one utility pole that was in the way has finally been removed.
That turning lane is going to be a very welcome addition...by the look of it, seeing as how they didn't do it this summer...Granite will need to be resurfaced likely by next summer.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
That turning lane is going to be a very welcome addition...by the look of it, seeing as how they didn't do it this summer...Granite will need to be resurfaced likely by next summer.
They didn't do the seal coat of asphalt last year, probably due to it being late in the season. Asphalt paving and cold weather don't go together. Large areas of the Costco parking lot had to be re-done this summer. And it may be getting too late to finish Granite this fall.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
175 truck spaces is pretty big
I just googled the Salisbury Big Stop and it "only" has 60

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 2:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding the new building proposed off of Joyce Avenue to be shared between Visions United Church and the John Howard Society (mentioned near the top of this page):

I, like some other people, made the presumption that since the John Howard Society was involved, that this was to be a halfway house to reintegrate offenders from the criminal justice system back into society. This is apparently false.

This John Howard Society project is to be an assisted living facility, designed to provide important assistance to individuals in need requiring help in reintegrating into society (ie - formerly homeless people, or people with emotional problems, mental illnesses or just plain down on their luck). These people will not be criminals! This is an important distinction.

I personally did not editorialize regarding my presumption of this being a halfway house, or whether or not I thought this was a good idea or a bad idea, but there has been a lot of upset in the neighbourhood about the rumour, and some ugly things were being said on social media as a result. Hopefully this new information will help allay the neighbouring citizen's fears.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Sep 28, 2019 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Pretty convincing rumour found over on Retail Talk & Share about Mezza Lebanese Kitchen opening in a new standalone building at McLaughlin Place on the corner of McLaughlin & Morton.

http://www.mezzalebanesekitchen.com/canada/

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 3, 2019 at 4:02 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces