HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:15 AM

[Halifax] Moxy Hotel & The Trinity (5415 Cogswell) | 64 m | 21 fl | U/C

News out about a new $50 million development for the ex trinity chruch site. Claims to be an as of right development and will be going 18 stories and future rental appartments. However the article discusses possibilities of some hotel or office.

Proposed by Jono developments, which has little development history to put off such a large project, so not sure if it will actually get built

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:36 AM
You talkin' to me?

Where did you read about this? Sounds like a fairly significant projects in a fairly significant area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Where did you read about this? Sounds like a fairly significant projects in a fairly significant area.
Where is this at?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:57 AM

It's where the trinity church is on the corner of Brunswick and Cogswell. Just below the staples.

Jono developments. That's metledge isnt it?!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
It's where the trinity church is on the corner of Brunswick and Cogswell. Just below the staples.

Jono developments. That's metledge isnt it?!
Oh thats right..I knew that....doh..

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 6:45 AM
we built this city

I had to do a double take when I saw 18 stories, lets hope this becomes reality.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:57 AM

news came out about this development in the allnovascotia.com

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 2:41 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting. I didn't know that something of that height could be built there as-of-right. That at least eliminates one hurdle.

This is on a prominent corner and a good building in this location could go a long way towards improving the feel of the whole area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 8:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There could be more than two since there is also the Centennial development and maybe some other office development will happen.

Either way, this development sounds very promising. The developers seem aware of good urban design, etc. and as-of-right developments can proceed very quickly.

This aerial shows the site pretty well:

Source

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 11:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

As far as I know there's no legal way for the Heritage Trust to prevent this development. Heritage registration only happens with the property owner's permission and only new development agreements can be appealed.

It is important to have organizations like the Heritage Trust but they should be working on the actual preservation of historic buildings.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 12:29 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
As far as I know there's no legal way for the Heritage Trust to prevent this development. Heritage registration only happens with the property owner's permission and only new development agreements can be appealed.
Fair enough then. Hopefully this proposal will have few hurtles, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is important to have organizations like the Heritage Trust but they should be working on the actual preservation of historic buildings.
Of course. Its just that the United Gulf fiasco has left a bad taste in many mouths for the HT. I'm glad to hear HRMbydesign has converted some people.

Anywho, is this project definitely going to include rental apartments and not condos? That is also a nice change for once. It would certainly be the tallest apartment building built in the area in some time.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 12:32 AM

Someone shoot Sloane, i heard a comment that she wished the developers to provide a few floors for low income housing. This lady has got to go

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 1:34 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Someone shoot Sloane, i heard a comment that she wished the developers to provide a few floors for low income housing. This lady has got to go
I guess she's getting tired of her current house and wants a condo with a view.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:56 AM

I can't disagree with her. As... convoluted , as she seems sometimes, I have a feeling she's a reader of Jane Jacobs, I would hope so with a comment like that, and (I can't believe I'm defending her) having a counsellor in there that reads the Urban Saint, is a step in the right direction. Just not her. Uteck though... I might mail her one of my books.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:30 PM

You beat me to it...lol
So it seems this is gonna be 19 storeys instead of 18 and he wants to start construction this fall! I really look forward to seeing the design.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Even if mixed low income housing were the way to go, randomly asking this developer to include it is unfair. They have to compete with other developments, none of which provide artificially low cost housing without government subsidy.

The whole "what are you going to do for me?" attitude that surrounds private property development is ridiculous. Private developers are out to make money like everybody else. It's not their job to provide low income housing, parkland, etc. They (and everybody else) pay taxes to the province and to the HRM for that.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 7:00 AM

Quote:
"Instead of pointing at the Fenwick Towers and saying, 'Look how ugly tall buildings are,' now people will be able to say, 'Look at this project, and look how beautiful we can make projects in Halifax,'" he said.
Let's just hope hes not talking about building somthing like those big brick housing projects you see in chicago lol

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 1:42 PM
Closed account

More details about this project are in an article about Condo construction in the Herald today.

I posted it here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...86#post3340186

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:53 PM
You talkin' to me?

Has anybody seen a rendering of this project at all? If it's to start in the autumn, they must have some plans draw out by now.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:10 AM

good news guys, within the next 6 months there should be some exciting developments for this site

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth