HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't like the Quebec Legislature at all.
I'm pretty sure that if you go visit in person, you will change your mind !

It's practically impossible to not being in love with that building, it's just a marvelous piece of gem.

So is the interior, as much as the exterior.

Outside :

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.80915...uk0Eg!2e0!3e11
https://www.facebook.com/AssnatQc/ph...type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/AssnatQc/ph...type=1&theater

Inside :

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.80883...b4v_Q!2e0!3e11
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.80878...FMA_g!2e0!3e11
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.80866...b4v9w!2e0!3e11
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.80882...FMA9g!2e0!3e11
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.80894...b4wBg!2e0!3e11

Last edited by FrAnKs; Jul 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 12:34 PM

Ummmm hello? The BC Legislature is the t*ts:

source

My number two:

source

Queen's Park is the grossest. Not even gonna bother posting a pic of it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:03 PM
ARTchitecture

Agreed with everything in that post, except that I do like Queens Park better than all the Atlantic and Territorial Legislatures, maybe with the exception of New Brunswick's.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Honey...

Google Streetview Picture

The former Parliament, the Colonial Building, is nicer - but modest. It is bigger than it looks, though, because it's longer than it is wide - and it contained all of the government's Houses.

Google Streeview

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jul 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

There was a lively thread a few years ago discussing Canadian Provincial Legislature buildings. Newfoundland and Labrador's legislature building would be nice if it was a hospital, which is what it resembles.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

The Yukon wins because I'm pretty sure theirs is in a library.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Queens Park is far from being the grossest but it would be soooo much better if it was symetrical.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
There was a lively thread a few years ago discussing Canadian Provincial Legislature buildings. Newfoundland and Labrador's legislature building would be nice if it was a hospital, which is what it resembles.
I like to think of it as a high school.

The ongoing changes are nice, though. It's looking slightly less... dated now.

It's a tragedy that it was based on Vancouver's City Hall, which is gorgeous. Talk about a flattery fail.

They're replacing the clear glass and green panels with blue versions of both:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:38 PM
ARTchitecture

They would have been better off to go the extra mile and do some sort of detailed (perhaps art deco) brick instead of replacing the spandrel with spandrel. It certainly is an improvement though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Just gorgeous. The exterior nears St. Petersburg levels of ornamentation, which is risky, but it's still spectacular.

One odd thing I learned about ours just now trying to find pictures of it:

Quote:
Worthy of note is the fact that the governing party sits on the left side of the speaker of the House of Assembly as opposed to the traditional right side of the speaker. This tradition dates back to the 1850s because the heaters in the Colonial Building were located on the left side. Thus, the government chose to sit in the heat, and leave the opposition sitting in the cold.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 2:32 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I think the NL legislature is OK... it doesn't match the over-the-top neoclassical grandiosity of some other provincial legislatures, but that in itself is not a reason to slam it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 3:05 PM
arf

^It's certainly, one of a kind in Canada. The new windows look crappy to me as it lost the design aesthetic it had. Now it looks like a renovated pile of crap. Personal opinion of course.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 3:19 PM
ARTchitecture

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 7:34 PM
ARTchitecture

Any updated pics of the NL legislature reclad btw? It's been ongoing for ages. Why such a long timeframe for such a seemingly easy project?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 9:00 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I kind of wish NS's was larger and grander and not so overshadowed by neighbouring buildings. I was around 14 or 15 before I even know what it looked like when I was familiar with the buildings in several other provinces.

The Dominion building would probably make a more impressive provincial legislature than the current one lol.

Making better use of the surrounding grounds would also help the current one has using it as a parking facility doesn't do it any favours.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 9:10 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The prairie legislatures seemed to be inspired by some of the US state capitols, such as those in Minnesota, Colorado and California.

My Canadian favourite is SK, followed closely by MB. The AB legislature will improve significantly when the parking lots around the Federal building become green space. Are the Annex and Terrace buildings still planned for demolition?
Terrace will be demolished, yes. Annex, actually, I heard recently was staying put. Not sure how accurate my source may be though. I hope it stays, I'm one of the few who thinks it kicks ass.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 10:30 PM

http://javapost.ca/work/item?id=26
Wascana Park a Regina
With the 2,300 acre park , includes the Saskatchewan legislature amazing

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 12:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I kind of wish NS's was larger and grander and not so overshadowed by neighbouring buildings. I was around 14 or 15 before I even know what it looked like when I was familiar with the buildings in several other provinces.
My perspective may not be shared by many on a skyscraper forum but I feel like there are a lot of other important characteristics of buildings like this beyond how large and imposing they are.

The NS legislature isn't just a mini version of the buildings in the West. It is a Georgian-era building constructed from 1811-1819. When you get up close to it and tour the interior you find a lot of unique details that wouldn't be the same in a newer building. It's the oldest legislature building in Canada and it houses the oldest elected assembly in the country.

To put things into perspective, construction of the legislature buildings in the Prairie provinces was halfway along the timeline between the construction of the NS legislature and the present day.

The only big downside for NS, I think, is that there is surface parking on some of the space around Province House, and outside of the gates there are just normal sidewalks and streets (even though there are some other great buildings nearby, like the Bank of NS).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 12:36 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
The Yukon wins because I'm pretty sure theirs is in a library.
It has a library, but it's not located in one. It looks more like an urban mall or university building from the 1970s:

Out of the 14 legislative buildings in use in Canada, it is by far the ugliest. Even when compared to other brutalist buildings, it's really not that great to look at, and even less inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
Queens Park is far from being the grossest but it would be soooo much better if it was symetrical.
The asymmetry is actually a feature of the Romanesque Revival style the legislature is built in. Like a Victorian house, the lack of symmetry was considered to be part of its beauty. The Annex Neighbourhood north of the Legislature features hundreds of large houses that mix Victorian and Romanesque styles, a combination unique to Toronto and rarely seen outside of its sphere of influence. I can think of only two examples in Thunder Bay, both built by and for Torontonians who moved here over 100 years ago.

As for which legislature is the best, Manitoba's is literally the worlds most perfect building. I can't think of anything created by Freemasons on this entire continent (other than the United States ) that is more impressive than Manitoba's legislature.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 12:36 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I actually like the effect of having Nova Scotia's just in the middle of the city as it is.

Most of them, ours especially, are set off in the middle of nowhere and it's just... not the same.

It's like those few European churches that are actually attached to adjacent, normal buildings on both sides, so all you can see is the front and steeple. There's something really striking and cool about that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada