HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 1:25 AM
Calgreedian

I heard on Global this morning that the Crowchild-Nose Hill Drive interchange would be open in a couple weeks. Is that true? Seems pretty soon.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 1:40 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
I heard on Global this morning that the Crowchild-Nose Hill Drive interchange would be open in a couple weeks. Is that true? Seems pretty soon.
Seems about right, it is likely contingent on the portions of nose hill just east and west of the overpass being graded and paved.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 2:39 AM

The NB Nosehill to EB Crow is paved, EB Crow to Nosehill is paved (the current detour road), and Nosehill to WB Crow is almost ready to be paved (its graded and just needs the final layer of gravel). The only part that doesn't look anywhere near ready is WB Crow to Nosehill, the retaining wall is in, but they haven't finished excavated out the hill where the lanes will go.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I don't think it's humanly possible to stress this enough. Annoyance factor aside (lights on a freeway?!?), we're going to see trucks plowing into cars on a weekly basis - mark my words. It's bad enough as it is currently, but so far traffic never gets up to speed due to all the lights preceeding it, and the fact that very few heavy trucks take Stoney today.

I cannot fathom who thought this up. The first slippery winter day and we'll be seeing this on the front pages. That hill is far too steep to require a stop right at the bottom.
Shit, I ride my bike through that intersection on Nose Hill Drive all the time (not to mention like 300 other cyclists a day). I would be like a bug on the windshield.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 3:58 AM
恭喜发财!

Of all the intersections to leave with traffic lights (not that there should be any), who is the genius that decided to leave THAT one with them? It's moronic.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 4:14 AM

What's with all the complaints here about lights? I checked the maps and from what I saw it looks like the entire stoney trail nw will be free flow based on plans that will/are being initiated in the immediate future.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 4:23 AM

The 'Ultimate' stage thats illustrated on the plans isn't on the books until closer to 2020 or later. Nosehill/Stoney is one intersection thats entire interchange is outlined as being part of the ultimate stage. Which means it likely will be done later rather then sooner. And a lot of things can happen between now and then that may leave it to be put off further.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 4:26 AM
Majestic

Damn! If they were only building the LRT out as fast as this monster...

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 8:20 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Of all the intersections to leave with traffic lights (not that there should be any), who is the genius that decided to leave THAT one with them? It's moronic.
YEP

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:18 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I've been wondering, for the NE ring road, the preliminary plans have connections at Metis Trail and Airport Road. However, both of those roads need to be extended about 5 km to even reach the ring road. Is the city smart enough to be preparing to connect those roads up to the interchanges that will be built, or will those interchanges serve nothing for a few years?

Metis Trail needs to be extended rght away, so that us people east of the airport don't have to drive on what amounts to a country road in 36th Street between 80th ave and Country Hills Blvd (at least it's paved, but not well) to get up to the north central area. There's quite a bit of traffic on that road - way too much for what it's safe for. I think there would be quite a bit more traffic on this road if more people knew about it, and it felt safer to drive. Metis Trail would do just that when it's built.

Airport Trail connection to the ring road isn't quite as critical, but probobly will be by the time the ring road is complete. It definately should be connected up to Metis Trail right away. Then it should be connected up to 96th Ave west of Deerfoot

Last edited by You Need A Thneed; Aug 7, 2007 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:34 PM
Editor

Great pictures Korzym. I hadn't realized that they were that far along.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:38 PM

From what I recall the Metis Trail interchange will be hooked up right away, as there will be no other access points (Barlow, 36th, 52nd all won't have interchanges) from Deerfoot all the way to country hills on the east side otherwise. I do seriously doubt the road will be fully built out though, I'd anticipate a 2 phase construction where they build one set of lanes and run two way traffic in them for a few years, then do the others.

Looking at the plans it looks like Airport trail gets a flyover that will be opened with the rest of the project, I don't recall hearing anything from the city on how far they are planning on extending it. It's also probably closer to 6km from its eastern teminus to where Stoney will be, although it does cross a few other semi large feeder roads so I wouldn't be shocked if they only built it from Stoney to 68th for now and built the rest across the northern end of Saddleridge as development pushes further north.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:40 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I've been wondering, for the NE ring road, the preliminary plans have connections at Metis Trail and Airport Road. However, both of those roads need to be extended about 5 km to even reach the ring road. Is the city smart enough to be preparing to connect those roads up to the interchanges that will be built, or will those interchanges serve nothing for a few years?

Metis Trail needs to be extended rght away, so that us people east of the airport don't have to drive on what amounts to a country road in 36th Street between 80th ave and Country Hills Blvd (at least it's paved, but not well) to get up to the north central area. There's quite a bit of traffic on that road - way too much for what it's safe for. I think there would be quite a bit more traffic on this road if more people knew about it, and it felt safer to drive. Metis Trail would do just that when it's built.

Airport Trail connection to the ring road isn't quite as critical, but probobly will be by the time the ring road is complete. It definately should be connected up to Metis Trail right away. Then it should be connected up to 96th Ave west of Deerfoot
Last I'd heard of the Métis Trail extension, the leg from 64 Avenue to 80 Avenue was on hold pending right-of-way acquisition, and the leg from 80 Avenue to Stoney Trail is on hold until the City succeeds in leaning on the developers of the Jacksonport and North Pointe commercial-industrial subdivisions to front-load the road construction. You may have to Google the latter two projects, given the increasingly user-hostile City search engine.

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 9:24 PM

why can't we ever plan ahead into the FUTURE and not put any fucking traffic lights in a FREEWAY, which is dangerous to begin with and, once traffic is too heavy, (which will be as soon as the road is completed i'm sure) then they well build the interchange and it will cost A LOT more money and huge delays. just do it right in the first place for once!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 9:30 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I'd anticipate a 2 phase construction where they build one set of lanes and run two way traffic in them for a few years, then do the others.
Definately, and that's fine. Right now, a properly built 2 lane road is way better than 36th Street. Once this road is in, and the ring road is in, I think there will be quite a bit of industrial development which will push the need for twinning fairly quickly.

Quote:
Looking at the plans it looks like Airport trail gets a flyover that will be opened with the rest of the project, I don't recall hearing anything from the city on how far they are planning on extending it. It's also probably closer to 6km from its eastern teminus to where Stoney will be, although it does cross a few other semi large feeder roads so I wouldn't be shocked if they only built it from Stoney to 68th for now and built the rest across the northern end of Saddleridge as development pushes further north.
I could see something like that happening as well, but it would be great if it was built between Metis Trail and Barlow Trail as well, and by that time, it's halfway done. Considering that the land use designations went into the city for residential development north of Airport Trail (on both sides of 60th Street) a few weeks ago, that makes the rest of the road neccessary fairly quickly after that starts getting developed.

As I am typing this, I am remembering that 68th Street is being closed along that stretch, so it's no use connecting Airport Trail only up to 68th Street, it would have to be connected up to 60th Street (which would also have to be extended to reach Airport Trail - I guess if there is development North of Airport Trail, the main road to the area will be 60th Street, so it would be built already)

EDIT: Jacksonport Industrial Area Plan

Last edited by You Need A Thneed; Aug 7, 2007 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 6:33 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I found an answer to my own question.

Notice from Helene Laroque's Office.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post

They're going to have to build a tunnel I believe for airport trail to go under where the new runway is going to be built

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 9:34 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarapoto View Post
They're going to have to build a tunnel I believe for airport trail to go under where the new runway is going to be built
Yes, like we've discussed before, the tunnel doesn't have to be built right away, it just has to be "tunnel friendly." For example, build the proper foundations right away under the road, and build it sunken like it will need to be in the future, but don't cover it (for now).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 9:48 PM

oh, I must have missed that discussion

I'm glad they are connecting beddington trail because they sure cheaped out on the beddington/deerfoot "interchange". I either have to go to the deerfoot and turn around on 64th to take airport trail to work, or I have to go up harvest hills blvd and country hills, which is horrifically packed in rush hour. It makes the current widening of beddington trail between berkshire and beddington blvd. seem pointless. They should widen it to three lanes all the way to the ring road. anybody know what the speed limit is gonna be on the ring road? same as deerfoot?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 12:55 AM

Stoney Trail @ Crowchild:

Stoney @ 16th Ave NW

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure