HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Nashville Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:01 PM

NASHVILLE | The Pinnacle | 435 FT / 133 M | 29 FLOORS | T/O

Work continues on the site for the Pinnacle, a 29 floor (435') office tower, in Nashville's rapidly developing South Broadway district. The Pinnacle, originally named The Crown, will be next to the new Schermerhorn Symphony Center (foreground of the rendering) and the recently-topped Encore (pictured in the background below). The tower will be the office for Bass Berry & Sims law firm and Pinnacle Financial. The 520,000 sf project will also have LEED Silver certification.

Construction photos courtesy of bzorch at Nashville Charrette.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:12 PM
Vertical Polyphony

Curious, is this a Cesar Pelli design? It has a striking resemblence to his other works, especially his tower in Chicago: same materials and very similar top.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:20 PM

Pickard Chilton did the design, the same firm who did 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta and 300 North LaSalle in Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:22 AM
Born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Pickard Chilton did the design, the same firm who did 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta and 300 North LaSalle in Chicago.
When I first laid eyes on this building I said to myself "It's gotta be a PC design" so I guess I was right. This is a great building, PC is know for designing building with great skyline presence, and this is no exception. Can't wait to see those night time pics after it's finished.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 6:58 PM
New Englander

Excellent building. I'd have to say Pickard Chilton is designing some of the best highrises around. You can say all you want about the "starchitects" Piano, Libeskind, Rogers, Foster, etc. Pickard Chilton beats them all.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 12:51 AM
Hankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDYC View Post
Excellent building. I'd have to say Pickard Chilton is designing some of the best highrises around. You can say all you want about the "starchitects" Piano, Libeskind, Rogers, Foster, etc. Pickard Chilton beats them all.
I agree. Pickard Chilton's designs are just simply beautiful, in my opinion. We are very lucky to be getting such a beautiful addition to our skyline. I'm anxious to start seeing this one rise.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:39 PM
Urban Explorer

That is one nice looking building. Nashville is getting some incredible new stuff!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:52 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ It's no coincidence that this looks like a Pelli design (it looks like a smaller 2 IFC to me). One of the principles of Pickard Chilton worked for Pelli & Associates for a long time, and was a senior architect that worked on several towers, including Petronas.

Regardless, Pickard Chilton has been producing some great designs in their short tenure as a design firm. If they keep this up, their name will be up there with the SOM's and KPF's of the world in no time.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 10:57 PM

Nice! Was just in town the other weekend and fell in love, a denver native myself. Hopefully things progress with signature tower as well.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 8:10 PM
The Space Pope

For some reason it really reminds me of Frost Bank Tower in Austin, except that the crown is different.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 12:33 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Kudos to Nashville, it's a great addition IMO.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 6:47 PM

435'?

Well, after driving on Demonbreun (south of the preparation, on the entrance ramp) many times, I am questioning whether 435' is the official height now or not. There are several variance height request signs on the property that indicate it may be higher than 435'. But I am not sure on this.

-Steve Wright

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 8:10 PM
The True Avatar

Nice to see this one going up. It will be an excellent addition to the skyline. How close is this to the CBD?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenapolis View Post
Nice to see this one going up. It will be an excellent addition to the skyline. How close is this to the CBD?
When you add this tower, Encore, the Westin and the new convention center and its' hotel(s), the CBD will essentially extend south of Broadway (blue line in the photo). Right now, Nashville's CBD is entirely too compact with small parking lots here and there ripe for infill. South is the only way downtown can considerably grow with the Cumberland River to the east, the capitol and state government buildings to the north, and the highway to the west. I'd expect to see most future new proposals in downtown Nashville south of Broadway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILLSPHOTO View Post
Well, after driving on Demonbreun (south of the preparation, on the entrance ramp) many times, I am questioning whether 435' is the official height now or not. There are several variance height request signs on the property that indicate it may be higher than 435'. But I am not sure on this.
I hope you're right. This tower is gorgeous and deserves to be taller. It would look great if it was 600' or taller but I don't see that happening.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
I hope you're right. This tower is gorgeous and deserves to be taller. It would look great if it was 600' or taller but I don't see that happening.
Sadly, though, the planning commission won't currently allow for anything taller than 450' in the SoBro area. I think this limit will be raised when the planning commission starts to realize that maybe it's time for the batman building to give way as the keystone for Nashville and some taller buildings take the reign.

-Steve Wright

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 11:46 PM
Nashville born and raised

Well, with the new convention center going up in this area, there will be a need for associated hotels. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some tall proposals, possibly in the 40 to 50 story range.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 8:26 PM

Bump.

100' portable crane spotted erecting blue steel on the north end of the lot, right next to the pedestrian bridge this morning.

w00t.

Total number of tower cranes in Nashville: 7
Total number of tower cranes in 2 months: 12, all within 3sq miles

We are mini-Dubai...

-Steve Wright

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 3:41 AM

New lobby rendering from Pickard Chilton's website.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:03 AM
Hankster

Nice looking lobby. This is going to be one sweet project. I'm guessing the height variance signs were for the project at its current 435 Ft height. My memory serves me that variances were granted for this project. The tallest SoBro project before this one was the Encore, roughly half this height. Still, I'd love to see this grow about ten more floors. If it were up to me the tower would look more this, about 10 more floors and about 570 Ft.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 11:19 PM

The new website is active along with a pdf brochure with larger renderings and floor plans. This is going to be a beautiful addition to Nashville. I read elsewhere that the actual height will be more around 465 feet.

Moving right along too...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive