HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 9:29 AM

Atlanta | More than just Skyscrapers

Hi guys, thank you for giving me thread a chance. I finally got around to photographing Atlanta and some of it's neighborhoods. It's always been a misconception that Atlanta is nothing but shiny skyscrapers. I don't blame people for this perception. Most of the time, you only see the skyline in pictures because...let's be honest...it's beautiful, but there is a lot more to Atlanta than just shiny skyscrapers and I hope this thread can prove that.

Me and my friend walked over 8 miles in a course of around 8 hours while I photographed the different neighborhoods. I don't have the best camera so please work with me here lol. This is my first large scale gallery ever and this gallery is LARGE. I didn't even cover every neighborhood I wanted to. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did when we photographed around the city.

Downtown: We decided to do downtown first since it was convenient. I'm splitting up the downtown neighborhood into different neighborhoods since it's so large.

*Atlanta skyline from the subway before heading underground*

South Downtown(Downtown): The historic and gritty part of Downtown. Very gritty, but some great architecture.

*I always loved the Alligator art on this building*

*This building used to house a Rich's department store before suburbia killed downtown shopping here.*

*The building with the '5 points sports' known as the Olympia is going to be turned into a Walgreens. It's been many many years since the space has been in use.*

Fairlie-Poplar(Downtown) - The most compact feeling, traditionally urban and charming neighborhood of Atlanta. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. There are parts that have a quiet feel to it and parts that are bustling during the day.

*Most people don't expect tight streets like this in Atlanta*

*Small neighborhood bar that many of the residents of the hood and Georgia State students go to.

*Broad Street, the dining core of Fairlie Poplar and a popular spot for GSU students, tourists, and workers during the weekday.

*Talk about a diverse selection of food *

*It's sad that retail can't sustain here unfortunately. Great buildings though....*

Now we'll be heading into the touristy areas of downtown...

Centennial Park(Downtown) - As the name suggests, it's the area centered on Centennial Park, created as remembrance of the 1996 Olympic Games. Lately, many museums, tourist traps, and the likes have been developed here...

*The Ferris Wheel you see here called 'Skyview Atlanta' was constructed back in July 2013. It gets a lot more traffic than I expected it would.

*Midtown Skyline from the park*

*This is the new College Football Hall of Fame being constructed with an opening of Spring 2014*

Peachtree Center(Downtown) - The center of tourism here in Atlanta...seriously. It is also home to the tallest skyscrapers in downtown, but I didn't really photograph them.

East Downtown/Sweet Auburn(Downtown) - The old commercial district for blacks back in the day...sadly, it's kind of rotted...it used to be known for black wealth and power in the city.

*The Sweet Auburn curb market...a great little urban market with great food*

Finally, we're out of downtown and into the next neighborhood to the East...

The Old Forth Ward/MLK Historic District- Sometimes, it's hard for me to differentiate between these two areas so I'll put them together...

*MLK's birth home is right in the middle*

Now we begin our trek on Atlanta's most innovative, highly appraised project so far...

The Atlanta Beltline - Eastside Trail - The Atlanta beltline will be a 22 mile trail that will encircle the city core connecting multiple parks and neighborhoods. City leaders envision transit being on the beltline in the near future.

*Townhouses and Apartments of Inman Park along the beltline*

Before we finish the Eastside Trail, I want to take a stop in 2 of Atlanta's most interesting neighborhoods...

Inman Park - One of Atlanta's most desirable urban neighborhoods. Very walkable.

*New Development in Inman Park*

Now we take a short 5-7 minute walk to Atlanta's most eclectic and unique neighborhood.

Little Five Points - Very quirky neighborhood about 2 miles East of Downtown Atlanta. Very vibrant though and full of life.

*Not sure if he was flicking me off or thumbing me up lol*

Now back to the Beltline...

Beltline 2

*Skatepark and small park developed along the beltline recently*

*A portion of Midtown's skyline peaking out*

*New Development along the beltline*

*Ponce City Market, a massive redevelopment of an old 1800s-era building. It is being turned into a massive mixed used urban market hybrid and being compared to Chelsea Market in NYC to give context.*

Piedmont Park - Known as the best park in Atlanta, it is a decent size urban park sitting adjacent to Midtown. Personally, I think it's one of the best urban parks in the country and is very underrated. Not much pics though as I was being limited on time.

Midtown - The northern half of Atlanta's urban center, Midtown essentially functions as an extension to Downtown Atlanta, though much more residential and neighborhood like.

*Something goin down at the Fabulous Fox!*

That's it for this particular gallery. I hope you enjoyed! Will not be the last as I have more neighborhoods to cover .

Last edited by Ant131531; Mar 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos