HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 8:31 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarabundi View Post
Plenty of updates on mtlurbs.com if you need some !!!
Ha ha ok thanks anyways yara.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 2:31 PM

Altitude rising

Last edited by digitboy; Feb 27, 2012 at 1:28 AM. Reason: picture do not work

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 12:56 AM

Update from the 24-02-2012, thx to jfdaniel from Mtlurb.com :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdaniel View Post
:

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 5:32 AM
Look at me!

Very nice, and that's cool I never actually thought about the impact on the square...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 6:30 AM

look like the crane will go higher soon! Still 15 level to go up!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
look like the crane will go higher soon! Still 15 level to go up!
I think there's still 13 or 14 floors to go, plus the little hat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Very nice, and that's cool I never actually thought about the impact on the square...
In the last photo, you can see it was taken on the north-eastern extremity of the square near The Bay. I think once at full height, this thing is going to block the whole PVM!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:02 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpuant View Post
I think there's still 13 or 14 floors to go, plus the little hat!

In the last photo, you can see it was taken on the north-eastern extremity of the square near The Bay. I think once at full height, this thing is going to block the whole PVM!
Hmm, I'm not too sure how I feel about that. I might file in a complaint to heritage Montreal, see if I can stop this project.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Hmm, I'm not too sure how I feel about that. I might file in a complaint to heritage Montreal, see if I can stop this project.
their latest project is to try and save Viger square, yes I kid you not, only in a city so fucked up like Montreal do we have nutcases like these taken seriously

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
Look at me!

The Viger square travesty is only obscured by the larger travesty of Heritage Bumbaru's attempts to save it, no doubt.

As per Bumbaru:

Quote:
"Historical value" (quotations added by me)

Square Viger is one of the oldest in Montréal, built on market spaces dating from the 1810s. A prestigious location, as evidenced by the remarkable buildings that surround it – homes, church, railroad station, the former Hautes Études Commerciales – the square was also frequented by the poor and the homeless as early as the 19th century. Agora predates by several years the adoption of the so-called “1% integration of art and architecture policy” and is reminiscent of efforts and initiatives designed to soften the impact of major transportation infrastructures in urban areas – in this case, the Ville-Marie expressway. This initiative also aimed to create a second activity hub to relieve the pressure on Place Jacques-Cartier in Old Montreal.

Quote:
The threat

The feeling of public rejection felt from the very beginning of the redevelopment of Square Viger by artists is associated with disputes surrounding the expressway and facilities separated from other parts of the square, cut off from the street. This interfered with the completion of the original plans for Agora and, above all, its public use. The square’s urban environment is still inhospitable and dominated by traffic on streets serving the expressway. The lack of real activity in the sector makes it a poorly frequented area, associated with marginality and urban violence, two factors that now serve as a pretext justifying the indifference of the government and its desire to demolish it all without seeking to understand the significance of this site which, in 2009, offers great potential, since its trees have grown and new generations of artists and residents are discovering its possibilities. Agora is now threatened with demolition because of faults unfairly attributed to it.
Heritage's own picture of the site (notice the omission of thugs, punks and defunct sleeping bags)

http://www.heritagemontreal.org/en/w.../09/viger1.jpg

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 4:51 AM

I think the main reason for Viger Square's failure is that it's surrounded by nothingness, not the design itself. I doubt the same square placed in central London would host heroin parties and binge drinking nights with 1.15L Molson Drys (10.5%).

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:05 AM
BANNED

This thing has to go. Typical 70's/80's uninviting concrete mess. The Agora resembles an abandoned bomb shelter and that metal sculpture with the inward facing metal spikes looks like the physical embodiment of a migrane headache! The only thing worth saving is the fountain.

The opening of the hospital and re-opening of Hotel Viger (what's up with that?) should spur a Square Dorchester/Place Jacques-Cartier/Riopelle/Square Victoria style makeover.

Blow it up!!!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibbroni View Post
This thing has to go. Typical 70's/80's uninviting concrete mess. The Agora resembles an abandoned bomb shelter and that metal sculpture with the inward facing metal spikes looks like the physical embodiment of a migrane headache! The only thing worth saving is the fountain.

The opening of the hospital and re-opening of Hotel Viger (what's up with that?) should spur a Square Dorchester/Place Jacques-Cartier/Riopelle/Square Victoria style makeover.

Blow it up!!!
But in 50 years, that square will have historical value, like the Berlin Wall or Auswitch have today!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:18 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
I think the main reason for Viger Square's failure is that it's surrounded by nothingness, not the design itself. I doubt the same square placed in central London would host heroin parties and binge drinking nights with 1.15L Molson Drys (10.5%).
It being surrounded by highways and destitute buildings is a major flaw, no doubt, but nobody can deny the absolute un inviting qualities of this square. Honestly, if you asked anyone if they would like to sit with you in a concrete park, what would they say?

I second habsfanman's motion, blow it up ASAP.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:23 AM

Lol, at the bottom of my hearth I agree with both of you. That got me thinking, it must be very creepy to ask a girl on a date and tell her to meet at Viger Square, 9:00 pm, without further explanation.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
But in 50 years, that square will have historical value, like the Berlin Wall or Auswitch have today!
I'm not sure that you're being serious although it is hard to tell on the internet!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Lol, at the bottom of my hearth I agree with both of you. That got me thinking, it most be very creepy to ask a girl on a date and tell her to meet at Viger Square, 9:00 pm, without further explanation.
Not if you're taking her to Mission Old Brewery for dinner!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:34 AM

Lol, I assume if she's into that type of guy, a nice night cuddling on Viger Square's concrete won't be too much of a turn off!

Anyway, I feel like I may have dépassé la ligne here. I'll leave it to that..

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 6:28 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

Le square Viger ne doit pas disparaître en tant que place publique !! Je crois qu'il y a un consensus là-dessus. C'est la forme actuelle de cet espace publique qui doit laisser place à une aire plus ouverte. La Ville l'a fait avec la Place d'Armes. Je ne vois pas pourquoi le square Viger ne pourrait pas être l'objet d'une telle rénovation. Le béton doit disparaître -pas le square !!.

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 7:30 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarabundi View Post
Le square Viger ne doit pas disparaître en tant que place publique !! Je crois qu'il y a un consensus là-dessus. C'est la forme actuelle de cet espace publique qui doit laisser place à une aire plus ouverte. La Ville l'a fait avec la Place d'Armes. Je ne vois pas pourquoi le square Viger ne pourrait pas être l'objet d'une telle rénovation. Le béton doit disparaître -pas le square !!.
En effet, je ne Pense pas que faire le square disparaitre a ete suggere par qui que ce soit. C'est un square d'une laideure absolut. Je ne peux simplement pas comprendre ceux qui veulent conserver son esthetisme actuelle.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:12 PM

Update from the 03-02-2012, thx to marco from Mtlurb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco View Post
Vue depuis la rue Union

2 mars 2012

I'm not sure about the window wall on that last photo, looks a bit cheap. Next update will tell us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive