HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
The decline has slowed immensely in the past few years though, DT and Mid town are booming with billions of dollars in new investment,new residents, shops, restaurants and offices! Anyone who has been to Detroit recently can easily see how much the city has changed for the better! Blight is being removed or renovated in much of the city, and the city is investing in some of the outer neighbourhoods as well. The city has changed immensely in the past ten years, something most would never have seen coming!
Detroit from the riverfront through the New Center area has certainly had one of the most dramatic transformations over the past decade (2007 - 2017). I have lived mostly in gentrifying Brooklyn for the past decade, but I visit Detroit several times per year and have witnessed the changes firsthand in both places. Both Brooklyn and Detroit have experienced dramatic changes. But while the change in Brooklyn has been fast and probably more comprehensive, Detroit's change is the most shocking. Brooklyn's changes, like New York as a whole, have for a long time been pretty predictable. But Detroit's changes were not really predictable since this is pretty much the city's first successful wave of urban renewal.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Seattle has probably changed the most in the past decade. Most sunbelt metros haven't really seen any dramatic changes, they've just grown. NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, etc. have seen a good deal of construction. NYC and Chicago have added dozens of towers each. A lot of revitalized neighborhoods in many of our older urban areas.
LA too. Alot of it's older neighborhoods are becoming more popular and urban in the last 7-10 years. LA neighborhoods have embraced mixed use and ares are being revitalized everywhere. This is also Downtown's best decade since the 1920s for new construction.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wilkes-Barre.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Detroit has almost certainly not lost hundreds of thousands of people in the past 10 years.
From what I was able to look up:
  • 2000 census: 951,307
  • 2006 census estimates: 871,121 (revised up to 918,849)
  • 2010 census: 713,777
  • 2016 estimates: 672,795

The 2006 estimate seems high, but even allowing for some wiggle room, ~150,000-200,000 decrease in population in 10 years appears to be the case.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
LA too. Alot of it's older neighborhoods are becoming more popular and urban in the last 7-10 years. LA neighborhoods have embraced mixed use and ares are being revitalized everywhere. This is also Downtown's best decade since the 1920s for new construction.
LA has made improvements, but LA's truly urban areas are quite small. Downtown LA has improved, but it's still not a destination IMO. I'm not taking a trip to LA to hang out downtown. I'll be ocean side in Santa Monica. Maybe spend some time up in West Hollywood. The areas that have transformed in LA make up a very small percentage of total land area and don't have much impact city-wide. Seattle, for better or worse, is totally different than it was ten years ago.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
From what I was able to look up:
  • 2000 census: 951,307
  • 2006 census estimates: 871,121 (revised up to 918,849)
  • 2010 census: 713,777
  • 2016 estimates: 672,795

The 2006 estimate seems high, but even allowing for some wiggle room, ~150,000-200,000 decrease in population in 10 years appears to be the case.
All of the ACS estimates for Detroit were way off between 2000-2010. The ACS was still estimating Detroit to have over 900K residents as late as 2009, and we all know what happened at the official census. In reality, Detroit was probably 70% or greater through the 2000-2010 population decline by 2007.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
LA has made improvements, but LA's truly urban areas are quite small. Downtown LA has improved, but it's still not a destination IMO. I'm not taking a trip to LA to hang out downtown. I'll be ocean side in Santa Monica. Maybe spend some time up in West Hollywood. The areas that have transformed in LA make up a very small percentage of total land area and don't have much impact city-wide. Seattle, for better or worse, is totally different than it was ten years ago.
Huh?How are Seattle's urban areas larger than LA's? Even downtown Seattle isn't larger in area than downtown LA. Downtown's LA urban area, is actually quite large.

And tell me how places like Koreatown, Hollywood etc are small. Compared to what?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
A LOT. Not Austin a lot but I moved down here right around the time things started progressing and it's changed dramatically since I've been here. Contrast to my hometown in NY where it's been losing people steadily for 40 years and the mayor shows up and schools close when a Home Depot and a IHOP have a grand opening. The skyline really hasn't change much but the urban fabric particularly inside the loop certainly has.
40 years is one thing. This decade, i.e. 7 years? Not so much...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Huh?How are Seattle's urban areas larger than LA's? Even downtown Seattle isn't larger in area than downtown LA. Downtown's LA urban area, is actually quite large.

And tell me how places like Koreatown, Hollywood etc are small. Compared to what?
I don't think he ever argued that.

I also think he meant small in the sense that LA's UA's are not interconnected, so they appear smaller than they are. Not that I agree or disagree.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:14 PM

Never went there but it seems Austin, TX is on a fine interesting momentum.
I saw some guys from the region called it a 'brat'.
Most likely a good sign for them.

That's just my 1st, most spontaneous thought at the title of the thread.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
40 years is one thing. This decade, i.e. 7 years? Not so much...
I moved down here in 1997, it's changed dramatically since that time; development-wise, culturally and demographically.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:

Ya, that was an odd statement for sure. I think he was saying that because there are so many areas in LA to hang out in or see, the overall significance of the boom is not felt like you would in other, smaller cities. I dont agree though. The areas that have seen the most redevelopment in LA over the last decade have been Downtown LA, Koreatown, Hollywood and Mid Wilshire. Those combined areas are massive. Downtown LA alone has added probably 50 towers in the last 10 years with another 50 coming soon. Add in all the rehabbed buildings and conversions in the historic core and the arts district and its an area wide conversion.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:40 PM

Based on my travels and learning mainly from this website, it seems as though the cities with the most change would be Seattle, Austin, Miami, LA, SF and NYC

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
What's changed in Houston other than a few people trickling in?
Houston has invested over $6 billion in their downtown over the last decade, alone. What used to be sporadic no man's land of a CBD is nicely filling out with urban parks (Discovery Green and market Square), close to a dozen new residential buildings, new mass transit options, new hotels, new restaurants and bars. Downtown already had 3 sports venues but I expect things to really get rolling as more and more residential buildings come online.

I heard many accounts of tourists, who visited during the super bowl, compare downtown Houston to downtown Chicago. Granted, it was especially active because of the super bowl but a packed vibrant downtown is becoming more and more of a frequent occurrence and I expect it to continue. It really is a snowball effect.

And that is just downtown....there are big things planned for midtown, the museum district is adding multiple new buildings as I type and the medical center is growing at such a rate that hey are worried they are running out of room. I especially like the residential elements being added along its border.

It will take a while but a continuous Med Center- Hermann Park- Museum District- Midtown - Downtown urban super spine is actually talking shape and that will be something to see once it fills in.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Ya, that was an odd statement for sure. I think he was saying that because there are so many areas in LA to hang out in or see, the overall significance of the boom is not felt like you would in other, smaller cities. I dont agree though. The areas that have seen the most redevelopment in LA over the last decade have been Downtown LA, Koreatown, Hollywood and Mid Wilshire. Those combined areas are massive. Downtown LA alone has added probably 50 towers in the last 10 years with another 50 coming soon. Add in all the rehabbed buildings and conversions in the historic core and the arts district and its an area wide conversion.
And it't not just new construction. Think about all the new restaurants/bars/shops etc in Echo Park, Angelino Hts, East Hollywood, Highland Park, Atwater Village, etc. I don't think people realize how many changes have occurred. Those places were gangland for decades. Venice Beach is very different. Culver City is different. Boyle Heights and historic South central are seeing changes. It's everywhere.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Probably too late to ask but is this change limited to buildings and development? I mentioned Houston changing despite a lack of real change to the skyline but probably the biggest change to Austin is not it's skyline but the rather the feel of the city (I'm sure the local's can agree) that it feels less like a relaxed college town and now a fast paced high tech urban metropolis with the worst traffic this side of Mumbai. Many of my friends my age who went to UT are glad they left because it changed so much and are glad they lived there when they did.

New York is still New York and feels like it despite the explosive development in Midtown and other parts of town.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
I don't think he ever argued that.

I also think he meant small in the sense that LA's UA's are not interconnected, so they appear smaller than they are. Not that I agree or disagree.
This is correct

Seattle's downtown is the center of gravity so to speak. LA is not centralized, therefore any improvements made to downtown or smaller nodes are less meaningful on a regional scale. LA is mostly the same place it was 10 years ago. Seattle is not.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And it't not just new construction. Think about all the new restaurants/bars/shops etc in Echo Park, Angelino Hts, East Hollywood, Highland Park, Atwater Village, etc. I don't think people realize how many changes have occurred. Those places were gangland for decades. Venice Beach is very different. Culver City is different. Boyle Heights and historic South central are seeing changes. It's everywhere.
Not to mention the recent construction and opening of the Expo Line with rail service to the West Side like Culver and Santa Monica. Los Angeles is the midst of an incredible transformation.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 10:11 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Totally agree, I was away in Texas for 20years and LA is extraordinarily different than it was. I also don't agree that its not interconnected. It is connected in a different way, its more like you have lulls in the development (residential) from one hot spot to the next. A place like LA may have 15-20 hot spots where people go to hang out or live in an urban environment a place like Seattle will have 3-4 with downtown overwhelming everything else. Just an example. I love DT Seattle.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
also all the infrastructure changes.. LAX and its 15 billion dollar remodel, the rain lines, freeway construction, etc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions