HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 2:36 AM
Modulator

No natural disasters is not why Phoenix is not developing high rises like Dallas (or any other city). It's NIMBY opposition, many many years of car-centric outward development, FAA height regulations, etc.

Also, remember that Phoenix didn't become a mega-size city until the last 20 years. Before that, Phoenix was competing against mid-sized cities and Downtown Phoenix was actually more reflective of it's size. With growth occurring as fast as it has over the last couple of decades, the skyline just simply couldn't keep up. Dallas had quite a head start over Phoenix.

LA went through this when it was booming in the 50's and 60's for similar reasons why. That's why Downtown LA is not more like Chicago. BUT, LA is now seeing a massive skyscraper boom and the skyline is starting to show it. One could hope Phoenix may get it's deserved skyline...but it will be another 20 years before we see bigger towers.

I do think we will see many more 200 to 300 footers over the next few years, but barring a major headquarter relocation to Downtown, I think Chase will be the tallest for a while.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
No natural disasters is not why Phoenix is not developing high rises like Dallas (or any other city). It's NIMBY opposition, many many years of car-centric outward development, FAA height regulations, etc.

Also, remember that Phoenix didn't become a mega-size city until the last 20 years. Before that, Phoenix was competing against mid-sized cities and Downtown Phoenix was actually more reflective of it's size. With growth occurring as fast as it has over the last couple of decades, the skyline just simply couldn't keep up. Dallas had quite a head start over Phoenix.

LA went through this when it was booming in the 50's and 60's for similar reasons why. That's why Downtown LA is not more like Chicago. BUT, LA is now seeing a massive skyscraper boom and the skyline is starting to show it. One could hope Phoenix may get it's deserved skyline...but it will be another 20 years before we see bigger towers.

I do think we will see many more 200 to 300 footers over the next few years, but barring a major headquarter relocation to Downtown, I think Chase will be the tallest for a while.
I agree with your synopsis. I think this is good time for Phoenix to gain density with all of the in-fill projects going on. Look at Washinton DC. It's a fairly dense big metro area with no highrises or skyscrapers above 300'. I think Phoenix will get it's much deserved highrise above 500' in 10 years.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 9:50 PM
BANNED

Both of you made excellent points.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 7:00 PM

^^ just a reminder that DC cannot build higher than 1/2 the height of the washington monument. it's a restriction. so basically 275' is about as high as they can go. all the "taller" construction is in NoVa although they sort of fall in line as well and nothing over 500' yet...or even close.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
^^ just a reminder that DC cannot build higher than 1/2 the height of the washington monument. it's a restriction. so basically 275' is about as high as they can go. all the "taller" construction is in NoVa although they sort of fall in line as well and nothing over 500' yet...or even close.
That's not exactly the law, here it is if interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height...gs_Act_of_1910

Most of the taller buildings are in the TOD clusters outside of the District, where the height act isn't in effect. However, the Arlington corridor along the Orange line also has some height restrictions due to the flight path of National Airport. Tysons Corner has pretty high zoning heights, something like 500 feet in some spots, there's a 635 footer proposed, we'll see if Fairfax County lets them go over the height limit. Tysons could very well end up being like the La Defense in Paris.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:14 PM
Modulator

4 More Years: Phoenix Keeps Marathon Starting Line Downtown

Just a tidbit of news. Had no idea this many hotel rooms were booked for this event

Quote:
Phoenix reached a deal with Competitor Group, Inc. to produce the Rock-N-Roll Marathon and Half Marathon through 2021.

The agreement will keep the marathon starting line in downtown Phoenix at the Arizona Center. The city will continue to provide support services like barricades, police officers and trash collection at a cost of more than $140,000 a year.

A city report said last year’s half and full marathons led to more than 4,800 hotel room nights booked and more than $450,000 in taxes and fees.

The Health and Fitness Expo, where participants pick up race numbers and timing tags, was held at the Phoenix Convention Center last year and generated about $71,000 in sales tax, according to the report.

Competitor Group, Inc. has an agreement to use the Convention Center in 2018 and negotiations are underway for 2019 through 2021.
https://kjzz.org/content/499885/4-mo...-line-downtown

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:22 PM

Renderings for the mixed use project at 7th Ave & Osborn included in the leasing package in the link below

http://www.phoenixcommercialadvisors...fo/7thosbo.htm

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:23 PM
BANNED

The renderings for the shopping center looks great! Definately keeping with the MCM-style of the area. Quite smart. Not a fan of Starbucks drive-thru's where the order line is on the hard corner. Just not a great visual. Overall, a great improvement.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 6:33 PM

Macayos

So it looks like the Macayos is opening in the old Fez and Siu Wok building instead of the Toyowest building. They have a "Now Hiring" sign up

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 6:46 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
So it looks like the Macayos is opening in the old Fez and Siu Wok building instead of the Toyowest building. They have a "Now Hiring" sign up
I thought I saw some work going on inside of the old Fez spot a couple of days ago. I wonder if this will just be a temp location until they redevelop Toyowest?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 10:05 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I thought I saw some work going on inside of the old Fez spot a couple of days ago. I wonder if this will just be a temp location until they redevelop Toyowest?
A Facebook post that talks about hiring for the Midtown location still uses the phrase "adaptive reuse," which would apply to the Toyowest site but not the Fez / Siu Work building. I've seen so little going on at Toyowest that I had begun to wonder if this particiular Macayo's location might not be resurrected after all. In any case, I'm just glad to see the old faux-Aztec behemoth gone.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 11:16 PM

I'm sure there was too much to remediate in that old garage.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:35 PM

The Sui Wok and Fez building has been repainted red and gray, there's a small Macayos banner hanging now. I'm sure it was far more practical financially to reuse the existing restaurant kitchen spaces and remodel than to virtually start over in a potentially contaminated place. It wouldn't surprise me if the family decides to sell the Toyo West property for redevelopment instead.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 11:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robot View Post
The Sui Wok and Fez building has been repainted red and gray, there's a small Macayos banner hanging now. I'm sure it was far more practical financially to reuse the existing restaurant kitchen spaces and remodel than to virtually start over in a potentially contaminated place. It wouldn't surprise me if the family decides to sell the Toyo West property for redevelopment instead.
That makes perfect sense. A vacant restaurant space will be utilized again and an old garage business, like you said, could be up for redevelopment. A win-win for the area IMO.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:27 AM

The renderings for the Toyo West building sure were nice, but practicality wins out. Unless it's only temporary while they build out the new space? Now that sounds impractical!

It's a shame the apartment project being built on the old Macayo's site does not include any retail space, but there will be other opportunities. Some street level retail could reactivate the area for pedestrians, it's working out beautifully for Muse on Central & McDowell. The SW corner of Indian School and Central recently sold, a mixed use project there with street level retail could really bring that area back to life. Hopefully once these apartments are built and occupied, further development in the area will fill in this need, like something on the Toyo West site.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:01 AM

Yes, once all these people live downtown you'll see retail opening in places you never expected.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:18 AM
self-important urbanista

So this article seems to suggest (via a link to an older article) that Macayo's is still going into the Toyowest site. I think the Business Journal hasn't caught up with the change in the restaurant's planned Midtown location. The Scottsdale closure doesn't sound like a good sign for the chain's prospects overall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-location.html

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:07 PM
METRO: Encanto

Why one of the Valley's best BBQ spots is opening in Sunnyslope

Nice, but that location near the Burton Barr Central Library would have been even better.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:16 PM

I'm happy for that opening, have always wanted to try Little Miss but the line is too long. This is just a short drive from home.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:05 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I'm happy for that opening, have always wanted to try Little Miss but the line is too long. This is just a short drive from home.
It is definitely worth the wait.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest