HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
If you do visit, the fries, dressing, and gravy is always best at a greasy spoon. Downtown, I'd choose Celtic Hearth. But I think my favourite in the city is probably Jasmine's, in a little strip mall at the border of St. John's and Mount Pearl.

The big new thing here, though, which I'd say has surpassed Raymond's in terms of media coverage and tourist satisfaction, is foraging with local guides. You basically go out into the countryside and eat what you can harvest, learn the local plants that are substitutes for all the spices, and have a little boil up/fire on the beach, etc. Most of the media coverage, especially from the UK, has raved about how the taste is incomparable to restaurants.

There are a few companies doing it, the main one, and best one, is Cod Sounds. Some things they just have to bring with them, like moose, though it is always fresh and in season. But most of the time they do get a lot of it while you're actually with them, like mussels from the beach you're on.

The Guardian has a great promo video for it: https://www.theguardian.com/explore-...MP=embed_video

And the company's website is:

http://www.codsounds.ca/wild-foragin...-and-labrador/

They also do a restaurant tour downtown, but I wouldn't recommend that. I love hiking, but guided hikes make me want to kill myself, and I imagine a restaurant tour has much the same atmosphere going on.

Fantastic. Suggestions on what's the best month(s) to visit? I am planning to be in Ottawa for the 150th anniversary of confederation next year, so could possibly tack it on to that. Otherwise it would be in August.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 6:34 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Avoid March-April. They're winter and/or near-constant fog. May-June for icebergs and whales. July-August for everything except those. September-October for berries, hiking, fall colours, etc. Avoid November, it's stupid. Only huge non-music event is the Christmas parade and if you base a vacation around that you're better off going to Orlando. December for winter activities like mummering. Unlikely to be much if any snow, but will definitely be cold. Avoid January-February, heart of winter and we don't do much with it. Only snowshoe hiking can compete with what's on offer elsewhere, everything else is better somewhere else. Marble Mountain is highest ski resort in Atlantic Canada, though, I think. But still better off going to Quebec or BC.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 9:59 PM

For Saskatoon, my favourite restaurant is the Hollows. Locally foraged teas and delicious meals. Located in a former greasy spoon Chinese restaurant called the Golden Dragon, and has left the epic sign out front. It's located just off 19th street in Riversdale, Saskatoon's formerly down and out neighbourhood that has been booming the last few years with an amazing energy as new hip businesses pour in. The area has taken some (though not all) of the energy from the former hippest place - Broadway, which is across the river from downtown on the east side. Also nearby is Primal, serving pasta with an orientation to local ingredients, and a bit further away in downtown is Ayden, which is also a standout. I particularly recall their deconstructed borscht from my last visit - yum!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Crew, a new cafe-bistro that just opened within the old Royal Bank Main Branch grand hall in Old Montreal. Surely one the most grandiose looking cafe in the country.
Really gorgeous. I'm surprised though that there's no more profitable economic use for the space though than as a cafe-bistro. I'd have thought some company would pay top dollar for such a space.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 11:53 PM

Lola Rosa Cafe in Montreal is great if you're vegetarian but want quality and bigger portions. Was there a couple weeks ago and ordered the bean burrito.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 8:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Went to Leo's at the bottom of my street for fries, dressing, and gravy for supper.

This is the sort of lower class place you have to go to get it right.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 22, 2016 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 3:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We went to Zachary's, which serves typical North American breakfast foods plus Newfoundland breakfasts and lunches.

The decor is old kitchen.

We split, from top to bottom:

Fish'n'brewis. It's salt fish and hard tack soaked in fresh water overnight, then boiled to heat. Separately, you fry some pork scrunchions, then pour all of it - even the fat - over the fish and hard tack. It's probably our unhealthiest traditional dish but it's so, so, so good. I've never seen this done yet, but it's begging for some Canadian maple syrup. I think of it every time after I've finished eating it - the tastes would be very complimentary.

Toutons, and finally fish cakes with Mt. Scio savoury.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 4:23 PM

In entirely unrelated news, shurely, Newfoundland has Canada's highest rates of heart disease, hypertension, obesity and diabetes.

When I look at those photos and consider the ingredients that I avoid (refined carbs and added cane sugar, fried foods, added salt), I'm kind of left with the pats of butter, the orange slices and the coffee.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 4:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, our demographics are horrific for such statistics. Everywhere, people who are elderly, poor, or rural tend to be several times more likely to be overweight - and we have lots who are all three of those, and a majority of the population checks off two. Throw in a traditional cuisine designed to mitigate starvation and fuel hard labour, and a climate that makes outdoor exercise irregular at best, and voila.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 27, 2016 at 9:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:09 PM
recession proof

Which originated first: dressing with fries and gravy or cheese curds with fries and gravy? It seems like a Greek diner owner in Quebec knew a diner owner in Newfoundland but happened to have a local dairy nearby for added inspiration.

Interestingly, all the Newfies I knew in K-W were overweight....

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 7:57 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

Yet, technically, I am obese:

I have quite a few friends the same way, even slender female friends whose weight seems to be 20-30 lbs heavier than Health Canada thinks they should be. Maybe we just have really dense bones?

I am about an inch taller than you and weigh about 40 lbs less... yet you look about the same if not slightly slimmer. And I'm not without any muscle either as I bike over 100km a week.... something is going on with that island

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 8:14 PM

I live in Mississauga, so my choices are either McDonald's or Burger King. I got a whole bunch of coupons for Burger King in the mail last week so my choice is Burger King for now.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 11:10 PM

Frames and bone density and such do a lot of strange things with calculations. My BMI is 18.2, so I'm technically underweight, but that's simply because I have a small frame, not because I'm unhealthily skinny.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 12:21 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
I live in Mississauga, so my choices are either McDonald's or Burger King. I got a whole bunch of coupons for Burger King in the mail last week so my choice is Burger King for now.
What on earth are you talking about? Mississauga is one of the most ethnically diverse patches of real estate on Buddha's green earth. Every cuisine you can think of is on offer in Mississauga.

In fact, there is a Malaysian place (Lion City) and a Sichuan place (Bashu Sichuan Cuisine) there that my wife and I will make special stops at just because of how good they are.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 12:35 AM
Registered Drug User

China Garden, Waterloo.

From left to right: garlic pea sprouts, roast duck, braised pork. The veggie dish is done with oil and garlic in some kinda magical way so as to produce a faintly buttery tang. The roast duck is literally the best duck my wife and I have ever had anywhere, and the braised pork is melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

China Garden is a unique place. It's sort of Chinese restaurant 1.0 in that it's been around for thirty years and has the "chop suey" and "General Tao" dinner specials that people-who-aren't-Chinese-or-at-least-don't-know-anything-about-Chinese-food (PWACOALDKAACFs) tend to go for, but then it also has this other great stuff that I honestly, not joking, could not find on the online English menu.

Because we always order these well-known dishes in Chinese and never bother looking at the menu. Not bragging or anything, that's just one of the fringe benefits of having spent part of a lifetime learning Chinese.

Okay, maybe I'm bragging a little bit.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 12:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

MonctonRad - I'd not heard of this place in Moncton before but apparently it's a pretty big deal. One of the guest chefs/bartenders/whatever else coming to the city for NYE has worked there:

Checked out their website and they even have a brewery. Looks nice!

http://www.tideandboar.com/

If you've checked it out, or get a chance to do, let us know.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 4:00 PM

^ Didn't realize it was foodie famous, I've only ever heard of it because a bunch of my musician friends have played there.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 4:16 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
MonctonRad - I'd not heard of this place in Moncton before but apparently it's a pretty big deal. One of the guest chefs/bartenders/whatever else coming to the city for NYE has worked there:

Checked out their website and they even have a brewery. Looks nice!

http://www.tideandboar.com/

If you've checked it out, or get a chance to do, let us know.

Kind of funny - when I was in Moncton a few years ago for a cousins wedding I noted that it looked like the most interesting place in the city. Turns out the pre-wedding reception thing (no idea what you'd call that) was there. They have a pretty good beer list and excellent food.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Kind of funny - when I was in Moncton a few years ago for a cousins wedding I noted that it looked like the most interesting place in the city. Turns out the pre-wedding reception thing (no idea what you'd call that) was there. They have a pretty good beer list and excellent food.
It used to be known as the rehearsal dinner, afaik.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 4:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
What on earth are you talking about? Mississauga is one of the most ethnically diverse patches of real estate on Buddha's green earth. Every cuisine you can think of is on offer in Mississauga.

In fact, there is a Malaysian place (Lion City) and a Sichuan place (Bashu Sichuan Cuisine) there that my wife and I will make special stops at just because of how good they are.
I find that a lot of people (especially SSPers) often give short-shrift to ethnic dining options in the suburbs.

What with demographic shifts/patterns and sky-high rents in central cities, in many cities there is now a good chunk of good, authentic ethnic cuisine that is best sampled in the burbs. Often in ugly strip malls or industrial areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada