HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 3:09 AM

I meant more of an area of interest. That area is pretty well set up for residential development. It's close to everything, and plenty of close green. Ideal for the young professional family, who is the key market of any city centre.

What would be the constraints, on future development, in this choice chunk, of peninsular properties. How would the historical branding help with the growth of the area?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:52 PM

probably time to reactivate this thread; it's been a while.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 10:09 PM

It's funny you did revive this - I was talking to a friend of mine who has been hired into HRM's planning department (just recently started) and we were talking about this area. My opinion has always been that if Schmidtville wanted protection, I don't see a problem with it - cap the heights to no more than 3 stories, similar architecture and be done with it. The catch would be that the height of everything outside (so the block with Trillium, Park Vic and across from Schmidtville) could be high rise because they are not in the community.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 1:24 PM
we built this city

There are some ugly/vinyl sided buildings on Clyde. Those materials should be banned in the area, otherwise tall buildings next door isn't really the problem!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
There are some ugly/vinyl sided buildings on Clyde. Those materials should be banned in the area, otherwise tall buildings next door isn't really the problem!
there is not a lot on Clyde st, but then what have those buildings been facing for decades, empty lots. There are a couple of nice houses near Queen. There is some vinyl in the neighborhood, but also a lot of shingling; there is also money through HRM to fix up heritage properties.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
It's funny you did revive this - I was talking to a friend of mine who has been hired into HRM's planning department (just recently started) and we were talking about this area. My opinion has always been that if Schmidtville wanted protection, I don't see a problem with it - cap the heights to no more than 3 stories, similar architecture and be done with it. The catch would be that the height of everything outside (so the block with Trillium, Park Vic and across from Schmidtville) could be high rise because they are not in the community.
I believe HRM by Design would require step down in height to transition to a Heritage District. I don't think that's necessarily bad - as long as everyone is subjected to the same rules... and should allow for decent massing/density along Clyde (as the northern boundary of Schmidtville) to support projects like the Sister Sites.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues