HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 2:28 PM
BANNED

^^^ Thanks for taking those, could you embed them into your posts from now on? Its good to have someone willing to take pictures in Milwaukee. Welcome to the Forums!

I was just home this weekend and was suprised to see them a few floors out of the ground.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 8:30 PM

Nowhereman1280 > My bad I had setup a new user (TwoadayMilwaukee) thinking somebody had snagged my username from SSC.. anyhow I used to post on SSP way back when... I take a lot of photos of Milwaukee and the various development projects going on... are there any others your interested in?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 9:52 PM
BANNED

Here, this is how you embed these Twoaday...

twoaday

As far as which projects I am interested in, all of them! Milwaukee is ignored in these forums right now!

Weren't they building some new dorms up by locust and the river? I'd like to see that if they are doing it still. Also, you should go take pictures of all of the new housing in the third ward, I haven't been down there in ages...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 1:17 AM

Does anyone know whats going on with University Club Tower? Its taking forever to finish. The crown is going slower than molasses and the backside is still open.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:22 AM

Crazy actually I think that is the finished UCT.

Last edited by Twoaday; Oct 25, 2007 at 4:24 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:27 AM

So like this I guess

That is the demolition going on at the North End... I also have a set for that as well http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverei...7602258343011/

And the dorms appear to be finished... soon to open

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 6:33 AM

For the past several months, developer Afshin Ghazi has been quietly refining plans for a large mixed-use proposal that would have a significant impact in Downtown Milwaukee. The previously-unnamed development has been now been aptly named "The Catalyst" as the project would give a boost to W. Wisconsin Avenue, between N. 4th and N. 5th Streets--directly across the street from the convention center and the Shops of Grand Avenue mall.

^ This rendering shows an overview of the Catalyst development, looking over the rooftop of the Midwest Airlines Center in the foreground. The 31-story tower would include 200 condominiums and upscale apartments, rooftop terraces, and street level restaurants/retail. The shorter building would include a hotel with approximately 170 rooms, as well as street level restaurants/retail. Parking would be included using a combination of a new garage incorporated into the buildings, plus the purchase of an existing garage next door to the south.

^ This courtyard between the two buildings opens out onto W. Wisconsin Avenue, Downtown's "Main Street."

These latest renderings have improved quite a bit since the preliminary designs were released earlier this year.

So far, the street level spaces have attracted interest from six potential tenants based in the restaurant/nightclub/entertainment-oriented business, although Ghazi is not releasing specific names at this time. He has said, however, that they are similar to some of the tenants in other developments he's worked on around the country (Fox Sports Grill, Lucky Strike upscale bowling, etc.). The letters of intent he has received will have to be converted into signed leases. Ghazi is also in the process of negotiating with Noble Investment Group to operate the hotel.

Furthermore, Ghazi is in discussions with the department of City Development regarding possible financial assistance. Also, in the coming months Ghazi will be working towards closing the deals on purchasing the City-owned land ((which is being offered for one dollar) and the privately-owned adjacent parking structure (the price of which has not been disclosed) to get the Catalyst off the ground. And perhaps the biggest challenge to overcome will be getting enough pre-sales on the residential units in a slowing housing market--though Ghazi says he's confident that will happen. He hopes the project could break ground in the spring of 2008.

Some more info in the Journal Sentinel article: Project could get quick start -31-story complex planned for Wisconsin Ave.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:44 PM
BANNED

!!!!

Now that is a quality development! Look at how well done it is, all of the buildings pushed up and fronting Wisconsin, the large, notable public space that draws you in off of the street! Great location! Good height! Wow! I wish Chicago was getting something of this quality on B37!

I've been wishing for this parking lot to bite the dust for years, its such a dead spot on Wisconsin Ave. and this is the perfect way to fill it up!

Also, thanks for the pictures Twoaday, they are really making progress on getting rid of that old tannery!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:20 PM

Yea it's amazing they will have that tannery cleared away before the end of the year... Might even start some construction I believe.

As far as the Ghazi project yea it's great to be moving forward.. that could really help that location.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 5:28 PM

5th Street

Great proposal. I'm curious though how it addresses 5th street. I know the city is trying to make some streetscaping improvements to connect the AMTRAK station to the Midwest Airlines Center and it'd be cool if the Ghazi building is welcoming on that side. Just curious.

Another quick question, is the official name for this project "Catalyst," or am I reading it incorrectly?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 9:43 PM

Yup that is the official name now.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 1:53 AM
BANNED

^^^ Both of you guys need to stick around here, its good to actually have some people from Milwaukee here, this thread is dead all the time. Hopefully you stick around and help alleviate my homesickness for Milwaukee!

Thanks and welcome if you are new...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 9:38 PM

Will do... though so you know on SSC there is a pretty active Milwaukee thread.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:18 AM

Staybridge pictures

Thought you guys might like a couple of these.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 12:16 AM
Mr. Freshface

Catalyst is EXCITING. Holy crap that would be a boon for Wisco Avenue. I'd like to see a more centrally located skyscraper in Milwaukee. I really feel like like it could use a bigger core of tall buildings east of the river. Many parts of Water street and Wisconsin Avenue are underutlized.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 1:41 AM

Nice to hear about Catalyst, would certainly be a nice addition. But we'll see...

Staybridge is coming out of the ground...will really start to change the look and feel of that area.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 2:19 AM
BANNED

How tall is Staybridge? Is it a hotel? Is that on Water st. across from the Water Street Brewery?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 2:36 PM

The staybridge (the residences on water) is a hotel and condo development on water street right next door to bar louie. And it will be 14-stories

Last edited by Twoaday; Nov 7, 2007 at 2:36 PM. Reason: cause

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:34 PM

^ Is there a link to the project website?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:39 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations