HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

5 Allen Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Houston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Houston Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:43 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

That building looks great. I hope it happens.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:16 PM
Tribune in all her glory.

Looks good! Hope to see some better renderings, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
The 3rd best skyline in the US...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 1:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2390 View Post
Looks good! Hope to see some better renderings, though.

Whats so funny about that!!!! Houston has a damn good skyline. NYC, Chicago, Houston, San Fran, and so on. You shall be burned at the stake for your blasphemy!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 3:04 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Whats so funny about that!!!! Houston has a damn good skyline. NYC, Chicago, Houston, San Fran, and so on. You shall be burned at the stake for your blasphemy!
Everyone is entitlted to their opinions. Do not let others comments /gestures bother you. This how threads get hijacked and then... you know the rest...

In my opinion... Houston has a damn good skyline. Five Allen Center will add to it, though I wish it were not a box. Houston could use a nice "flair" to its skyline. I would like for this proposal to have that "flair".

-sb

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 6:02 PM

IMO...

The rendering sucks, and it's a nice project, but do we really need it? Is Main Place leased out yet?

i'd rather see Houston concentrate on the wonderful projects that we already have, than try to start another monster scraper (especially at a time when CBD office vacancies are on the rise). BTW, there's no confirmation of this yet... no construction, and no groundbreaking. I'd be surprised if this starts at any time during 2009.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 6:34 PM
Endless Moments...

I want a kewl looking spire, thats what i would like to see...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 7:06 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
IMO...

The rendering sucks, and it's a nice project, but do we really need it? Is Main Place leased out yet?

i'd rather see Houston concentrate on the wonderful projects that we already have, than try to start another monster scraper (especially at a time when CBD office vacancies are on the rise). BTW, there's no confirmation of this yet... no construction, and no groundbreaking. I'd be surprised if this starts at any time during 2009.
I'd say Houston WILL need it. From the time construction starts until the time the building is ready for move-in, a lot of time will have passed in addition to the economy in Houston growing over that same period. I can confidently say that within the next few years both towers will be mostly occupied.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 10:57 PM

Class A office space in downtown is still at a premium. Less than 7% direct vacancy rate.

There is NO available space for a major relocation and expansion space is also dicey likely requiring split floors and/or multiple buildings.

Hess taking the entire Discovery Tower speaks volumes for downtown's appeal. I would be very suprised if Brookfied doesn't move forward with this in the very near future. Additionally, it is widley know that Devon wants more space and a trophy tower. Now that Discovery is off the market...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
I'd say Houston WILL need it. From the time construction starts until the time the building is ready for move-in, a lot of time will have passed in addition to the economy in Houston growing over that same period. I can confidently say that within the next few years both towers will be mostly occupied.
I Agree 100%.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
Class A office space in downtown is still at a premium. Less than 7% direct vacancy rate.

There is NO available space for a major relocation and expansion space is also dicey likely requiring split floors and/or multiple buildings.

Hess taking the entire Discovery Tower speaks volumes for downtown's appeal. I would be very suprised if Brookfied doesn't move forward with this in the very near future. Additionally, it is widley know that Devon wants more space and a trophy tower. Now that Discovery is off the market...
Ditto.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 11:46 PM
Endless Moments...

Agreed...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 11:55 PM
Ex Houstonian

Devon is going to possibly occupy this building? I thought they were already building a 950 some odd foot building in OKC. That company must be doing amazingly well right now.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 12:01 AM
BANNED

No they're not but its a possibility. Devon Tower in OKC is 955ft 50Floors.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:16 AM

Devon Energy is based in OKC but they have a major presence in downtown Houston. One of the Allen Center towers is already named for the lead tenant; Devon... Well, guess who owns the Allen Center? Brookfield. Guess who is proposing the Allen Center addition? Brookfield.

Devon officials have already made it clear that they need more space and they'd like a "trophy" tower in Houston. Since the can't take the Discovery Tower (Hess) and haven't announced for MainPlace and their employees are already familiar with the Allen Center then connect the dots...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:18 AM
Ex Houstonian

Well then I hope they get their trophy tower.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 9:18 PM

Trophy will be in OKC. putting over a billion into the entire project so I don't think they would put one down there. Would just get lost in all the other good biuldings down there.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
Trophy will be in OKC. putting over a billion into the entire project so I don't think they would put one down there. Would just get lost in all the other good biuldings down there.
....and they want a "trophy tower" for Houston as well and Five Allen Center might be the Tower. Anything is a possibility. Spending a a billion+ dollars to get Devon Tower built is alot but remember, Brookfield might build this one not Devon Energy, and all Devon Energy have to do is lease it. (If they want to.) Someone else can lease Five Allen Center.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 11:41 PM
FYHA

Thanks, Shasta for restating what should be said. It's easy to get wrapped up in waiting and whatnot.

I think it should also be noted that corporate presentation from last year mentioned delivery should be in the first quarter of 2013. If I heard nothing in the next year and a half... you might have a case to be fretful about the building's prospects. Now? No.

Quote:
Would just get lost in all the other good biuldings down there.
Yes, having frontage on what is arguably THE picture/postcard view of the skyline will somehow get it lost in the mix. Ok...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 6:02 PM

so sensitive. geez.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 7:04 PM
FYHA

Quote:
so sensitive. geez.
I was simply correcting your point.

Whatever is built there would be impossible to miss since it would have frontage in Allen Center, right AT the Pierce elevated, from what is arguably the most familiar perspective of Downtown & the city.

http://www.museumofhouston.org/images/taller17.jpg

In this view, a 50-story building would block out Three Allen Center and possibly some or all of 1400 Smith Street, therefore... it's kinda hard for such a structure to be lost in anything.

Even the new Heritage/Clay garage in front of the Doubletree, for better or worse, makes a mark.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive